TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is my 2nd time cleaning the airfilter in my 05tacoma. K&N's website instructions say when re-oiling use "liberally" let it dry check other side for spots that arent red and reapply to those areas on "dirty" side.
ok no problem.. i'm pretty sure i used more oil this time than last time. but its been sitting drying for a while now. it was pretty oily after i was done spraying it. i wiped the excess of the seals and let it dry. i think its ok, but have been reading warnings about over oiling. its not by any means dripping. but at touch there is a slight oily feel which is normal i think. it not wet. personally ithink its fine, you just dont want to suckup oil into the engine.
any comments?
peace

·
Registered
117 Posts
when I had a k&n I was always worrying about the oil issues, I eventually switched to amsoil in my old taco, and now dont even have an air filter on my '88 truck, but it doesnt run, so it dont matter lol. hopefully somone who knows a little more than me will chime in, but from what I can reason, if you can wipe it off onto say a white rag, then my reasoning tells me that it could suck that stuff into the injectors, etc....... good luck with the search

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
you are going to have maf problems as well as your intake getting fine particulates. i know how to do those things and still had problems. my 2 cents but thats all i have.
Mike

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
overoiling will give maf problems...correct?
but not properly oiling the air filter. its dry it just has oil in it like it should. i THINK its ok. thanks for the help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I over oilied my K&N and had to replace my MAF...$350! The dealership said it was from the K&N oil.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Just go back to stock. You think you or K&N are smarter than the Toyota engineers? I don't.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
i think its ok, but have been reading warnings about over oiling. its not by any means dripping. but at touch there is a slight oily feel which is normal i think. it not wet. personally ithink its fine, you just dont want to suckup oil into the engine.
any comments?
peace
I've used a K&N FIPK for years... and still currently do...
Screw the haters... ;)

I've always run a bead down each pleat and then let it wick in for a few hours... Now you mentioned a spray on oil ?.. I've always used a squeeze bottle... Over oiling is a mess... and can dirty the maf... But rarely does it ruin it... If yer maf gets too much oil on it... and sets off the codes... all you have to do is spay the maf out (remove it first) with some electrical cleaner and pull the fuse or battery cable to reset the codes... should be fine...

The pleats should have a pink color to them... including in the valleys... and you'll be good to go... You'll know that you oiled too much... if you get a puddle or drippings at the bottom of the filter... To avoid this... You have to be able to dedicate some time to allow the oil to wick in properly... I usually let it wick overnite and by the next morning... it should be good to go... with maybe just a few drops touch up...

I'm not a fan of the drop in style K&N filters for the stock airboxes... They seem like the weaving is father apart (bigger openings) then on say the FIPK cone style filters...

And finally... don't clean the filter everytime you think it looks dirty... The dirt build up is what actually helps it filter better... When it's fresh and clean... that's when it's letting too much shit thru... and if yer going to run a dusty trail with a freshly cleaned filter... I'd suggest running one of those dust cover sleeves over it... I clean mine maybe every 25K... Anyone that says too much shit is getting thru... is cleaning the filter way to often...

And all you K&N haters can... well... just keep hating... LOL

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
And finally... don't clean the filter everytime you think it looks dirty... The dirt build up is what actually helps it filter better... When it's fresh and clean... that's when it's letting too much shit thru...

Dell- with all due respect(which means i can say what ever the fuck i want to now) if a K&N needs to be dirty to filter effectivly then doesnt that essentially negate all benefits of better air flow???

sincerely,
aformentioned k&n hater:p

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
And finally... don't clean the filter everytime you think it looks dirty... The dirt build up is what actually helps it filter better... When it's fresh and clean... that's when it's letting too much shit thru...

Dell- with all due respect(which means i can say what ever the fuck i want to now) if a K&N needs to be dirty to filter effectivly then doesnt that essentially negate all benefits of better air flow???

sincerely,
aformentioned k&n hater:p

:Warning/Disclaimer:
The satement below is of my experiences... not scientific studies :flipoff3:​

from my experience my K&N has managed to maintain adequate airflow... in dusty conditions... that left my stock air box w/fuzzy choking and setting off the code... In fact I have yet to have the K&N ever clog up and throw a code no matter how dirty...

Has anyone done a flow test on how well dirty filters still flow ?
Be interesting to know how the K&N stacks up against the others on that...

My intake runner/maf seem to stay clean (unlike so many others have stated) And the truck runs great under the worst conditions... runs strong for 130K... proper maintenance does wonders

But mostly... I like the economics and recycling thing... Something that can be reused over and over... is not adding to the world trash pile... and no I'm not some hippie :rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

from my experience my K&N has managed to maintain adequate airflow... in dusty conditions... that left my stock air box w/fuzzy choking and setting off the code... In fact I have yet to have the K&N ever clog up and throw a code no matter how dirty...

My intake runner/maf seem to stay clean (unlike so many others have stated) And the truck runs great under the worst conditions... runs strong for 130K... proper maintenance does wonders

But mostly... I like the economics and recycling thing... Something that can be reused over and over... is not adding to the world trash pile... and no I'm not some hippie :rolleyes:
Same experience here...going on 4+yrs with the FIPK. I did finally replace the original cone this year after I couldn't get it clean enough, IMO. I've been on extremely dusty trails...can barely see the truck in front of you @15'...and many of them had engines starving for air at the end of the run...not me. ;) I've seen some guys have to stop and bang the dust out of their OE filters just to get home :rolleyes:

I ordered one of AEM's "dry" filter cones some time back to replace the oiled filter and it had noticable gaps, not just the occasional pin hole you see with the K&Ns so I sent it back.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Same experience here...
Well hell... another Mohican... LOL

Oh and my FIPK has been on for 7 years... was installed about a month after purchased new

It's paid for itself... in filter replacement costs over that period

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you think you over oiled it, you could always blow a little compressed air through it to clean it out a little. Just don't put the nozzle too close to the element, or you may damage it. I'm not a big fan of K&N, but I'm not a hater either. Just don't think they filter out as much dirt as OEM filters. My .002

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
If you think you over oiled it, you could always blow a little compressed air through it to clean it out a little. Just don't put the nozzle too close to the element, or you may damage it. I'm not a big fan of K&N, but I'm not a hater either. Just don't think they filter out as much dirt as OEM filters. My .002
not recommended...that is about the quickest way to ruin a K&N filter. Positioning the nozzle far enough not to damage the thing will do little good.

Honestly, all you have to do is let them sit over night, 2 days, tops and blot any standing oil you see on the cone or around the edges with a paper towel.

I've inspected my MAF plenty of times over the 4yrs that I've had this thing and have never seen it dirty or oil fouled.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The oil doesn't *dry*- it WHIKS (?) into the filter material.
If you don't give it enough time to whik - you might assume there's not enough oil and spray more.

One pass is all you should need.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Do not over oil. It's better to spray a few very light coats of oil, than the "liberal" dose K&N instructs. I've had a K and N filter now for two years, and I usually wait 20 minutes or so after oiling prior to reinstalling. Never had a problem with the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
422 Posts

I came across a K&N counter display, it had an air flow device that let’s one test the air flow performance of different filters. This display used a cool visual display that enabled the user to easily see the flow. The two filters used in the display were a new Fram paper filter and the other was a claimed 50-K mile filter from K&N. This K&N filter looked every bit as dirty as the 70-K mile TRD filter in my post. The display showed me that the 50-K mile K&N filter clearly flowed a lot better than the new Fram paper filter, a lot better.

This is a part of the http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69850 thread

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

Same experience here...going on 4+yrs with the FIPK. I did finally replace the original cone this year after I couldn't get it clean enough, IMO. I've been on extremely dusty trails...can barely see the truck in front of you @15'...and many of them had engines starving for air at the end of the run...not me. ;) I've seen some guys have to stop and bang the dust out of their OE filters just to get home :rolleyes:

I ordered one of AEM's "dry" filter cones some time back to replace the oiled filter and it had noticable gaps, not just the occasional pin hole you see with the K&Ns so I sent it back.
interesting...of course you are both using the fipk not the drop in...i know that when i cage the engine bay there likely wqont be room for alot of stuff, so i will have to keep this in mind.
Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts