TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have read a bunch of the threads on here explaining how K&N sucks because of all the dirt it allows into the intake depsite its claims of higher mpg and flow. Right now, I have the K&N CAI but given the dirt situation and the oil from the filter being the sworn enemy of my MAF sensor, I want to go back to my factory air box. My question here is what everybody thinks is the best replacement filter to put in the airbox for maximum flow for good MPG and will also keep my intake tidy. Plus I like the idea of protecting the MAF sensor better with the factory airbox and also changing the air filter with a new one every 15K - OCD thing I guess. I have heard of Amsoil mentioned...anyone have good luck with anything?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use the fram air filter from wal-mart. 12k miles with it, and it appears to be doing its job. A lot of people swear by Amsoil, but IMO Fram is just as good. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
351 Posts
The ones I use are made by a pretty good company. You may have heard of them.....Toyota.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies....I think trusting the Japs and their engineering might be the best way to go. After all, they build the world's finest trucks. Stock toyota filter it is!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Finally some common sense about a/f! Of course Toyota engineers designed the airbox/filter to flow what the engine requires for air, all the while keeping the important parts clean. Why would toyota put a air filter that hurts gas mileage on their trucks?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you would be surprised on the stuff some carmakers put on their cars/trucks to quiet the engine and make it sound "nice" and even to save a few pennies in production - the lowest bidder mentality. I have seen a few Chevys and Fords (booooooo!) with some crazy restrictive looking stock systems. But then again, that's why Yota rules and they suck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
yotas rule and they suck? what? unfortunately they do tune intakes for harmonics (i know it's a big word-look it up), but they would not sacrifice fuel mileage in the modern world of CAFE standards. The entire air/fuel system is highly calibrated to work within a wide range of parameters so you can get alittle more hp from the engines with airflow adjustments, but you would be hard pressed to get better fuel economy than the factory gives you. If it was easy to give the engine more hp and better economy wouldn't they do it at the factory? they know how hp mad us american drivers are.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use the stock one from Toyota... can't go wrong with that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been through FIPK's, K&N drop-ins, Toyota stock filters and and I'm happier with my $19 Fram from Pep Boy's.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
ricknzep said:
yotas rule and they suck? what? unfortunately they do tune intakes for harmonics (i know it's a big word-look it up), but they would not sacrifice fuel mileage in the modern world of CAFE standards. The entire air/fuel system is highly calibrated to work within a wide range of parameters so you can get alittle more hp from the engines with airflow adjustments, but you would be hard pressed to get better fuel economy than the factory gives you. If it was easy to give the engine more hp and better economy wouldn't they do it at the factory? they know how hp mad us american drivers are.

I changed the factory intake pipe on my G35 Coupe by swapping in the factory intake pipe from the Nissan 350Z, and my fuel economy went up by 2 MPG across the board and I gained 7 WHP on the dyno. That 2 MPG increase was in combined city/highway economy and it was measured over about a 14K mile period of time, in comparison to the previous 9K miles that I owned the car.

2 MPG is a fairly significant economy gain... no matter how you slice it. That's been verified both by measuring my miles per tank and dividing by gallons to fill it up, as well as by monitoring the real-time fuel economy guage built into my Navigation system at set speeds on my drive to work(same route every day) and keeping track of this stuff over the 2 years that I've owned my car. I'm real anal about my cars and truck, so I actually keep track of all that shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts