TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Friends of Ka'ena have started a process that could close all vehicle traffic past the paved road at Ka'ena Point. If you value your time up there, you NEED to act now. This link is to the Hawaii 4x4 Associations forum page concerning the activities going on and a link to the issues at hand. There is also a survey that I encourage you to take on the links in the other forum.
http://www.4x4boyz.com/H4X4A_site/forums/viewthread.php?tid=219

Thanks for your support

Jesse

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Thanks for the link and the heads up!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Its sad to hear that this place is shut down, maybe we could show interest as a club and talk to DLNR just to see what we can do to help out.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
When I was in Florida a few years back, we had access issues with the Ocala National Forest. We were able to start a sort of volunteer "ranger" program. On a voluntary basis, you basically roamed around the forest when you had time, trying to educate people on land use rules. You couldn't enforce anything but you could take pics of those who showed zero respect for the land and the rules of use and report them to the authorities. You will always have those who are still show complete disregard but you can thin out the crowd who are ignorant to the existing rules. Plus we can show that there are organizations who do care about the 'aina.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
So whats the verdict?

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think last night almost every person blamed the 4wheelers for the damage out there. Most of the fishermen were for leaving KP the way it is or at least leaving as much access to the area. There were a many people from the community that wanted limited access via the upper road only and a few were wanting no vehicular access at all. Overall it seemed that most of the people still want access to KP, it just varies on how much.
It seems that the KPAG is considering the general consensus of the public, this includes the survey. That means we need to get the word out about them and get people to submit them. Most of the people that spoke did not want a permit system or major improvements, so they are saying now that the only real improvements would be a couple spots on the main road that are really bad and the possible addition of comfort stations so we aren't making shishi all over the native plants.
The president of the sandbox showed up and spoke, he tried to make sound it like the sandbox is the answer to the problem of nowhere to go to wheel. He also said they are waiting on permits from the state before they can open to the public.
I spoke for the group, expressing our initiative of responsible 4wheeling and that the people they have pictures of and the ones they see are a small handful of irresponsible wheelers. I also kinda scolded the Friends of Ka'ena for not recognizing us and including us in the problematic wheelers category and that WE were the ones who filled most of the dumpster from the beach cleanup and then sorted through it at the dump afterward. I also informed them that we do pay attention to native plants and cultural areas and that our organization has active Hawaiian Cultural Practitioners that teach the rest of us. I emphasized that the sandbox is a good start, but is not a fix because it is too small.
After I spoke, one of the Northshore board members asked me if we had seen the videos on youtube and the news and if we had any recommendation on how to keep people from wheeling irresponsibly. I didn't really say anything about the videos, but I did tell them that because there is no place for people to go and because KP has been used in that manner for many years, no matter how many rocks or pilings they put up, someone will go over or around them and still go wheeling. I told them that we had surveyed the area and submitted to DLNR a proposed area for wheeling, but we never heard back from them. They seemed interested in that area and would like a copy to review. I was also approached by a lady from the Hawaiian Peacemaking Project, she says that she would like to talk story and get some of our ideas for KP and other areas. I have never heard of them, but I'm sure some of you have. This could be a good help in getting our voices heard on the matters involving KP.

The last guy to speak made a great point. He started by talking about how when the military wanted to build a port in Yokohama bay and the road around the point, the fishermen said don't do it because the waves and current will destroy it. He said, " it seems they were right because there is no port and no road, so obviously the fishermen knew what they were talking about. Maybe we should be listening to them again". The main concern that I heard from the fishermen was the runoff into the ocean was not good for the fish and reefs. If we can help with the erosion by limiting the areas we use, they may be happy with us as enthusiasts.
After the meeting, a fisherman came to us and said that he feels for us because there is nowhere for us to go. His wife suggested talking to the military about land they don't use. Could be an option to look for.
The Ambassador of KP, I forgot his name, said to call him if there are any problems out there and just to see if there is anything we can help with. He was very supportive of us and encourages us to keep voicing our opinions. His number is 382-2009 and is one cool azz brada. On a side note, if your on Kauai during the banana poka festival, check it out because he also performs there and its a great family event, even if you don't have your own family yet.
I think we need to get together and formulate a plan to submit for consideration with the possibility of having a small area for wheeling. I think we also need to pursue some new areas, maybe private land owners and ag lands that are not being utilized.
I was also thinking last night about how it seems that the military doesn't do any training or education on Hawaiian values and the importance of the land and people. I for one know that it made a difference in my perception of life on the islands. I say this because when I first got here, the people in charge made it sound like the locals were not to be respected and to treat Hawaii like you are in a foriegn country that no one likes you. If we could get them educated, we may not have as many problems in the future. Just a thought.

I don't know how they took this haole's message (me), but hopefully we get a little more respect from now on.

·
Registered
159 Posts
sounds great!!! All this would piss me off if I was not going back to the States. I hope you guys come out on top or atleast end up square.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I filled out survey saying it should be remain open. I also suggested that they coordinate for all the off-road clubs to meet up and have a huge clean up day. Showing up like that would shut-up all the non-offroad types- especially if you can say the off-roaders are the people keeping KP nice! Works at Kahuku for dirt biking! We always pick up trash we see there.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Great job Jesse and great ideas! Its so good to see we have another prez who isnt just going to talk the talk but walk the walk!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think last night almost every person blamed the 4wheelers for the damage out there. Most of the fishermen were for leaving KP the way it is or at least leaving as much access to the area. There were a many people from the community that wanted limited access via the upper road only and a few were wanting no vehicular access at all. Overall it seemed that most of the people still want access to KP, it just varies on how much.
It seems that the KPAG is considering the general consensus of the public, this includes the survey. That means we need to get the word out about them and get people to submit them. Most of the people that spoke did not want a permit system or major improvements, so they are saying now that the only real improvements would be a couple spots on the main road that are really bad and the possible addition of comfort stations so we aren't making shishi all over the native plants.
The president of the sandbox showed up and spoke, he tried to make sound it like the sandbox is the answer to the problem of nowhere to go to wheel. He also said they are waiting on permits from the state before they can open to the public.
I spoke for the group, expressing our initiative of responsible 4wheeling and that the people they have pictures of and the ones they see are a small handful of irresponsible wheelers. I also kinda scolded the Friends of Ka'ena for not recognizing us and including us in the problematic wheelers category and that WE were the ones who filled most of the dumpster from the beach cleanup and then sorted through it at the dump afterward. I also informed them that we do pay attention to native plants and cultural areas and that our organization has active Hawaiian Cultural Practitioners that teach the rest of us. I emphasized that the sandbox is a good start, but is not a fix because it is too small.
After I spoke, one of the Northshore board members asked me if we had seen the videos on youtube and the news and if we had any recommendation on how to keep people from wheeling irresponsibly. I didn't really say anything about the videos, but I did tell them that because there is no place for people to go and because KP has been used in that manner for many years, no matter how many rocks or pilings they put up, someone will go over or around them and still go wheeling. I told them that we had surveyed the area and submitted to DLNR a proposed area for wheeling, but we never heard back from them. They seemed interested in that area and would like a copy to review. I was also approached by a lady from the Hawaiian Peacemaking Project, she says that she would like to talk story and get some of our ideas for KP and other areas. I have never heard of them, but I'm sure some of you have. This could be a good help in getting our voices heard on the matters involving KP.

The last guy to speak made a great point. He started by talking about how when the military wanted to build a port in Yokohama bay and the road around the point, the fishermen said don't do it because the waves and current will destroy it. He said, " it seems they were right because there is no port and no road, so obviously the fishermen knew what they were talking about. Maybe we should be listening to them again". The main concern that I heard from the fishermen was the runoff into the ocean was not good for the fish and reefs. If we can help with the erosion by limiting the areas we use, they may be happy with us as enthusiasts.
After the meeting, a fisherman came to us and said that he feels for us because there is nowhere for us to go. His wife suggested talking to the military about land they don't use. Could be an option to look for.
The Ambassador of KP, I forgot his name, said to call him if there are any problems out there and just to see if there is anything we can help with. He was very supportive of us and encourages us to keep voicing our opinions. His number is 382-2009 and is one cool azz brada. On a side note, if your on Kauai during the banana poka festival, check it out because he also performs there and its a great family event, even if you don't have your own family yet.
I think we need to get together and formulate a plan to submit for consideration with the possibility of having a small area for wheeling. I think we also need to pursue some new areas, maybe private land owners and ag lands that are not being utilized.
I was also thinking last night about how it seems that the military doesn't do any training or education on Hawaiian values and the importance of the land and people. I for one know that it made a difference in my perception of life on the islands. I say this because when I first got here, the people in charge made it sound like the locals were not to be respected and to treat Hawaii like you are in a foriegn country that no one likes you. If we could get them educated, we may not have as many problems in the future. Just a thought.

I don't know how they took this haole's message (me), but hopefully we get a little more respect from now on.
right on !:kewl::)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts