TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm an electrical moron.

Here's what I got going on...

Installed KC lights a year ago. Worked fine for a year. Ran wires under console to the switch that was mounted in coin holder.

Alright, so I installed my crawler a few weeks back. Had to remove console to get to shifters and disconnected all the wires for the lights. While I was putting things back together...the wires (at the connectors) touched and sparked. Now they don't work.

When I installed the KC lights, I ran them hot, straight to the battery so they would operate without key on. Didn't see any burnt fuses but will look again.

Did I fry my lights?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
how did you have them wired? relay with inline fuse system?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. 20 amp relay then the yellow connecter to the positive battery terminal. Did I fry the relay?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Yes. 20 amp relay then the yellow connecter to the positive battery terminal. Did I fry the relay?
might have. does your system have it's own inline fuse? most do...usually a 15a for a pair of 55w lights or 20a for 100w. And you'd want at least a 30a relay for 100w lights.
colors mean nothing :p do you have a pic of the setup or maybe one from the instructions that came with your lights?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed!! I'm actually a lil embarrassed to tell explain how...but here goes.

There are two fuses in-line with these lights. 30a for the lights near the battery connector (which was not blown but replaced it anyway cause it was a bit corroded) and a 3a near the relay which I assume is for the switch. When I installed the lights I tucked the one for the switch away pretty good. Completely forgot about it and didn't even see it the first time I was messing around. Opened it up and sure enough...blown. Replaced it and all is well.

I like it when it's the easy things.

Thanks hytenor for taking the time to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts