TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here use or have experience/knowledge of the Kennesaw Mountain rear bumpers for the Tacoma? They look pretty nice w/ a swingout tire carrier, heavy duty hinge (optional; recommended if you're going to carry a heavy tire), jerry can and CB antenna mounts, and not prohibitively expensive (to my budget). But I'm looking for input before I drop the cash on one.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
obscurotron said:
Anyone here use or have experience/knowledge of the Kennesaw Mountain rear bumpers for the Tacoma? They look pretty nice w/ a swingout tire carrier, heavy duty hinge (optional; recommended if you're going to carry a heavy tire), jerry can and CB antenna mounts, and not prohibitively expensive (to my budget). But I'm looking for input before I drop the cash on one.

Thanks
chris (hytenor) had his sliders and front bumper build by them, i think he was really pleased with the results

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
obscurotron said:

Thanks
Dont use them: http://forums.delphiforums.com/tacomaterritory/messages?msg=114805.1

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,563 Posts
obscurotron said:

Thanks
The forum's biggest post whore...I mean Hytenor...bought from them before. He had issues with alignment and such, but spent some time and worked it out. Others have not been so lucky.

Anyways, I'm sure Hytenor will chime in shortly. I'm kinda surprised he hasn't already. This post has been up for over 15 minutes... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Chris King had so many problems with his bumper. I wouldn't take the chance.

·
www.madmav.com
547 Posts
obscurotron said:

Thanks
http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/complaints/2004/JUN/complaint4713.cfm

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
obscurotron said:

Thanks
Check out either Demello or Bentup, or another reliable fabricator that's known to the club.. It may not be as cheap, but you will get a better bumper.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have one...and it's what you pay for! Luckily I didn't have to go thru the same trouble the other guys did with shipping since I only had to drive a couple hours to pick it up. But the day I picked it up, on my way to vacation in the mountains they fabbed it wrong so it couldn't be installed. I had to come back a week later and take care of it. It's also painted and not power coated so when I picked it up the paint was still wet.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
obscurotron said:

Thanks
I was not alone in my problems with KMA. Do a search on most any board (YotaTech, Tundra Solutions, almost any Ford, Chevy or Nissan off-road board) and you will find out they have been doing shoddy work for years. The constant supply of new suckers to the internet seems to be keeping his business alive.

My advice: Avoid them like the plague...

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
obscurotron said:
Anyone here use or have experience/knowledge of the Kennesaw Mountain rear bumpers for the Tacoma? They look pretty nice w/ a swingout tire carrier, heavy duty hinge (optional; recommended if you're going to carry a heavy tire), jerry can and CB antenna mounts, and not prohibitively expensive (to my budget). But I'm looking for input before I drop the cash on one. Thanks
I would only recommend buying from the Ken.Mtn. guy if you live near him and can take your truck to him so that he can make sure things fit right and come out well. I've heard far too much about that guy and his work to trust him to make something that fits properly without the truck in front of him.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
obscurotron said:

Thanks
read the Delphi thread. If you are local to them you can probably do alright since those who have Kyle's bumpers that got them installed at his shop haven't had issues. However, I would not have one shipped.

My advice remains the same; buy local if you can. If you don't know of any local shops that make bumpers, start doing some research and find one. If you still can't find one there are several members located from the west coast to the east coast who do and each of them can be trusted. Where are you located?

I'm very happy with my KenMt bumper but I had to do quite a bit of reworking to get it where it is now.

But, to answer your question more thoroughly, I don't believe anyone here has tried one of their rear swing-outs. Demello makes one and a company called Stout used to but I don't think they are around anymore. Atwinda has come up with his own design that seems well trail tested.
Rear swing-outs are tough to make and require massive over-building and rear frame reinforcement to make them safe for you AND other vehicles on the road...ask David Hale about that one ;)

The rear frame on the Taco just won't handle the tremendous stresses that such a heavy bumper will place on the metal. the frame must be either plated or otherwise reinforced and boxed in to be able to handle it. So, just throwing on a big-ass bumper won't cut it. Hopefully David will catch this and post some pics of his setup.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll give Demello a ringdown when I have the pennies saved up and get some quality stuff!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
obscurotron said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll give Demello a ringdown when I have the pennies saved up and get some quality stuff!
That is a wise decision. Jason Demello also stands behind his first-rate work.

Kyle at KMA has a distinct F.U. attitude when he can hide behind emails & the internet... he will not honor any of his bullshit workmanship / warranty if you can't go there in person and put your foot in his ass.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
valkyrie said:
That is a wise decision. Jason Demello also stands behind his first-rate work.

Kyle at KMA has a distinct F.U. attitude when he can hide behind emails & the internet... he will not honor any of his bullshit workmanship / warranty if you can't go there in person and put your foot in his ass.
all that bitterness will only give you ulcers ;)

I never saw any pics of your new bumper you got from a local fabber.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't need to add to this thread considering most have chimed in. I bought one, actually the 1st one he built for a Nissan Frontier, Paid a LOT of $$, for a bumper, and full skid plates. It was a very long and drawn out process, in the end I did get everything I paid for.. To bad I already sold the truck before everything arrived.

The pricing is attractive, but I'm going to have to go a different route for my Tacoma. It's just not worth the trouble to go back with them!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
EricR said:
in the end I did get everything I paid for.. To bad I already sold the truck before everything arrived.
sad but funny ;)

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
hytenor said:
all that bitterness will only give you ulcers ;)

I never saw any pics of your new bumper you got from a local fabber.
LOL! No- not real bitter. I sold the boogered bumper & money-wise came out break-even, but him acting like an internet tough guy chapped me. It'll be all I can do to not stop in & say hi next my next fall vacation to Hiawassee. I'll bet he'd be surprised! :)

How's this:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
valkyrie said:
LOL! No- not real bitter. I sold the boogered bumper & money-wise came out break-even, but him acting like an internet tough guy chapped me. It'll be all I can do to not stop in & say hi next my next fall vacation to Hiawassee. I'll bet he'd be surprised! :)

How's this:

no, I mean the 'bumper' on your truck, any pics of that? :p

1 - 20 of 49 Posts