TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experiences or own a Kawasaki KFX400? I was wondering if there were any common problems with them, what to look for, etc. Do you enjoy it?

I've been looking for a 4wheeler for awhile, and found a 2004 KFX400 for sale, 2,000 dollars.I dunno if that is a good deal on one? I know the kid who owns it and he is easy on his stuff.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thats deff. a good price!...Never rode one but my buddy has a 2007 YFZ 450 And that thing is so fucking fast it's crazy,...lol

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
This black guy who rides with us has one. It's pretty beat up, but still seems to keep on ticking and is right there with all the Honda 400EX's in drag races but doesn't suffer from as much summer heat soak due to being liquid-cooled.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Anyone have any experiences or own a Kawasaki KFX400? I was wondering if there were any common problems with them, what to look for, etc. Do you enjoy it?

I've been looking for a 4wheeler for awhile, and found a 2004 KFX400 for sale, 2,000 dollars.I dunno if that is a good deal on one? I know the kid who owns it and he is easy on his stuff.

I have a buddy who had a KFX 400. I think its a 2005 as well. He enjoys it a lot and so do I when he lets me ride it! You really need to get a after market muffler. It makes a huge difference! My friend has a yoshi pipe. pro circut makes a good muffler that is if you want to spend 700 bucks for one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dude get a dirt bike. And a two stroke at that, way more fun than four strokes. Thats a pretty good price, but if I had to get a quad, I would go with a banshee.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own and ride a 2005 kfx 400. its a great bike for the money. i bought mine new in 04 and have beat the shit out of it for the last 5 years with no major problems. It has been ridden mostly in the socal desert, but has 2 pismo beach trips and 4 utah mountain trips and hasnt let me down.

The good:
price
smooth, wide powerband
aftermarket parts availabilty
electric start
comfortable seat
easy maintainance
fuel milage/range

the bad:
not as fast or as desirable as the honda and yamaha 450s for obvious reasons
early models suffer from frame weld cracks

I think the kfx had some model changes in 2004 or 2005. My quad has piggyback resivours on the front shocks and a bigger carburetor than my coworkers 2003.

hope that helps

·
Registered
822 Posts
Dude get a dirt bike. And a two stroke at that, way more fun than four strokes. Thats a pretty good price, but if I had to get a quad, I would go with a banshee.
fun to ride when they run but theyre maintenence nightmares. Ive had 4 two stroke bikes and had to rebuild every one of them at least once. The new 4 strokers are just as powerful but have gobs of torque on the bottom. I love my wr450 and would put it against any 2 smoker. The kfx is the best value quad you can buy. Two of my friends have them, one is a suzuki ltz400 and the other is a kfx. Parts are cheap as they have the same motor as a drz400 dirt bike, ltz 400 suzuki and the artic cat dvx 400. They are water cooled, have reverse and are reliable. Theres plenty of aftermarket support for them as well. The reason theyre so cheap is 3 different brands make them (they are all the same) and the market is flooded with them. I see them alot around here for as little as $1400-1500 in good shape

·
Registered
320 Posts
One of my buds has an '03(first year) KFX, and it's been a great quad, but to "wake it up", he did some research and installed a CT Racing full exhaust, spark arrestor, jet kit, and different air filter setup. Contrary to what people think, the thing run faster/better w/ the spark arrestor. It's been/still is a reliable quad, and for that price you can't go wrong.:2cents: With the money your saving, just buy a good helmet!!!!:D

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
bump for them being a good quad! having owned several quads, i will say that a efi 450 is SOOO much nicer than a carbed 400 but i mean spending 6k on a used atv to get efi is $$$$. But yea a couple of my friends have 04/05 kfx 400s and they all seem to be as nice or better than other 400s. I think those were the years they were pretty much identical to the suzuki 400s. I would get it if it looks well maintained, just change the oil alot and keep your filter clean and you should be good man.

Of course, hondas are usually cheap and seem to last forever. I will never buy another honda, but alot of people like them. So if you dont get the kawi, honda is a good choice too i reckon

·
Registered
113 Posts
They're a good fourwheeler, but as mentioned, theres no comparison against a YFZ450, and any 450 race quad. I've never personally been a fan of kawi, and will stick with my honda 250, the thing eats all these new bigger bore four strokes all day! Go 2-stroke!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 kfx 400 got it for 900 owned it about a month now guy who had it b4 me done alot of wheeling so I had to shim valves but other than that it's a great bike my buddy has a z400 loves his they are really fun and easy to maintain I got mine cuz my buddy has rode his for a couple of years and only had to do regular maintenance to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts