TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most waggys have Cast inner knuckles?

If so, when knuckles are rotated to correct the caster, welding steel tubes to cast knuckles needs to be done with a special type of welding stick, correct?

I know that cast material is more porous than steel, thus welding with a Mig welder, would actually weaken the cast material. As to how much, I don't know, but non-the-less, it would be weaker. Is it recommended to just go with Crane knuckles then, so the welding would be of similiar materials...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
dunno about the knuckle but ill normally use nickel rods for welding to casted materials and not burn for to long to not get above the 1450 degree temp that cast usually cracks. going with the crane's would be a good choice IMO though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
actually I am pretty sure that inner knuckles are cast steel which means that they are fine to weld. I welded the snot outta my inner c knuckles with 7018, they have held up fine. The differential is cast iron, that is the one you will need to use nickle rod on if you want to weld it. THe knuckles should be fine though with standard filler material either wire or stick electrodes. :welder:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts