TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was planning to get the STT but it was going to cost me around $170 bucks a tire. I then read some reviews on the kumhoo MT and there are some good reviews on the tire. Some people said they got them for 100 bucks or so. This is 31x10.5x15 - I figured if they have good reviews and they're that cheap i'll just get them and save some money.

I called americas tire and they quoted me at 160/tire for the kumho. That seems really high. He told me that the 32x11.5x15 was $130. Its cheaper to get a bigger tire? I'm confused.

What prices have you got the Kumho MT's for? If the price isn't that much less than the cooper's then i'll just get them.

Or if the price of the 32x11.5 is cheaper than a 31x10.5x15 then i'll get the larger tire and a body lift at the same time.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I test dove a truck with Kumho's on it.

So I can't comment on the dirt, but they were very noisy.

However, the Cooper's are pretty quiet, and they KICK ass off road.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
order your STT's off ebay. East Coast Tires will hook you up on there.

·
Registered
870 Posts
you dont need a body lift with 32's, i know cuz ive run 32's on both of my tacomas, i also have the 32x12.50x15 kumho's and they are an awesome tire, they are 100 times quieter than my mtr's and a bunch of other tires ive had. they are durable, never had a blowout and have experienced a tiny amount of chunking on some serious rocks, my moms bf also run kumho 35's on his 85 pickup and he has 30k on them and they still have about 85% of tread(he rotates 5), and i have another friend that runs 33 kumhos one his truck, when i first got them they were 109 a tire in 32, my buddy paid i think 121 for the 33's and my moms bf paid i think 134 for his 35's. american tire or discount tire will price match, get a quote from tirerack or summit and they will beat it thats your best bet, they are a quiet tire relative to others, they have a good wear pattern and they are awesome offroad, dont believe the critics - you dont need an expensive tire to get the job done. the reason the price has gone up is like anything as the demand goes up they can sell at the price people will pay for...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I second that the the coopers are badass!!

I know what your thinking wow but no those are SSR's
these however are coopers STT's

Aaron

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love the cooper stt wear nice, make noise but to much compared to other m/t tires. Enjoy!!...oh and they do kickass offroad too...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got my 32X11.50X15 Coopers for $750, mounted and balanced, at America's Tire in Eugene. Before I got them, I called all over the place, and the 32's were always more expensive. Most places don't stock the 32's though, so I had to wait about a week to get them.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
So I was planning to get the STT but it was going to cost me around $170 bucks a tire. I then read some reviews on the kumhoo MT and there are some good reviews on the tire. Some people said they got them for 100 bucks or so. This is 31x10.5x15 - I figured if they have good reviews and they're that cheap i'll just get them and save some money.

I called americas tire and they quoted me at 160/tire for the kumho. That seems really high. He told me that the 32x11.5x15 was $130. Its cheaper to get a bigger tire? I'm confused.

What prices have you got the Kumho MT's for? If the price isn't that much less than the cooper's then i'll just get them.

Or if the price of the 32x11.5 is cheaper than a 31x10.5x15 then i'll get the larger tire and a body lift at the same time.
They might have quoted you a tire with a higher load rating. The higher the load rating, the more expensive it is. And many tires of the exact same brand, make and size come in different load ratings.

Like the other post said, try going to a tire shop like Discount Tire that is willing to price match. I once showed 4WPW an ad in a mag with a lower price on a tire and they matched it. You can also print off the price from tirerack.com or summitracing.com and ask the shop to match it.

As for tire reviews, I found tirerack.com and discounttire.com offer good reviews to research.

If you want to go with a 32", I found that 32s on a stock 99 Taco rubbed when turning at full lock and under compression. They still rubbed with 2" susp lift and 15x8 rims til I flattened the pinch weld.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I dont know anything about the cooper sst tires but I have had very good luck with my kumho's. They are not loud and with very little rotation they have held their tread very well. I have only had them in the mud a few times but in the rocks and air downed I have not had any problems. Here is a pic of the tires with 31,000 miles on them and I paid 117.00 (33x12.5x15) per tire at sears.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
I dont know anything about the cooper sst tires but I have had very good luck with my kumho's. They are not loud and with very little rotation they have held their tread very well. I have only had them in the mud a few times but in the rocks and air downed I have not had any problems. Here is a pic of the tires with 31,000 miles on them and I paid 117.00 (33x12.5x15) per tire at sears.
How many times have they been in the rocks?

You couldn't even tell I wheeled mine when I aired down to 10psi.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Reply to Norcalpr: I dont know how many miles or times? (guess 40+times) they have been in the rocks but I have been to Colorado 3 times,Moab once and my local wheeling spot is all iron ore pits with super sharp iron ore rocks. Take a look at the rocks in the pic! Norcalpr I just saw you are in Castro Valley. I sayed there for week back in Feb. with a buddy and raced a national enduro near Coalinga and also rode at Carnegie for fun. Damn that Carnegie has some fun terrain to ride!

·
Registered
181 Posts
nice fj, and cool pic

·
Registered
106 Posts
My old Kumho MT 33x12.50's were only about $125 each, but that was about four or five years ago. They performed well offroad (generally trail riding and occasionally some deep mud but not rock crawling). Got better than 40,000 miles out of them. Not the most aggressive, but was enough for me. Depends on what kind of wheelin' you do.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I picked up 30" Kumhos last July for $94 apiece. I have been happy with them. I've gone through some deep mud and made it through even with 2wd and an open diff.
A friend of mine who has an F-150 with 35" Pro Comp M/T's and a posi rear followed me through a mudhole a couple weeks ago and got stuck, even though I made it through just fine(with lots of wheelspin).
He had a lot of wheelspin, but all it did was sink and get axle deep within a second or two. He only had it in 2wd as his 4wd will not engage lately, so we ended up having to get an F-250 with a winch to pull him out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts