TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are thinking about possibley getting KYB struts for your taco, dont. They are great struts but they sized the lower mount smaller than the stock taco on, so stock replacement bushings do not work. They do not sell replacements for these bushings. This is a common item to wear out on tacos far before the struts wear out.

I now have a perfectly fine pair of struts that are useless due to the fact that i cannot get a $20 part. Thanks KYB.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
For those of you who are thinking about possibley getting KYB struts for your taco, dont. They are great struts but they sized the lower mount smaller than the stock taco on, so stock replacement bushings do not work. They do not sell replacements for these bushings. This is a common item to wear out on tacos far before the struts wear out.

I now have a perfectly fine pair of struts that are useless due to the fact that i cannot get a $20 part. Thanks KYB.
So, go to a generic bushing site after getting the dimensions you need and get some.

If nothing else, you can get something that is either the correct OD, and slightly smaller ID, and drill it, or something that has the correct ID, and a larger OD, and put it on a drill press and, using sand paper, bring it down to size.

Its how I got the correct size for my xcase xmember bushings.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yeah it seems like that happened to me with something on the Taco... I can remember going to Napa, and getting somebody nice enough to pull down a crap ton of boxes until he found some that were perfect. I felt bad for the guy, but as usual, Napa rocks.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope he doesnt, but yes he used to work for KYB. I talked to them several more times. they claim that the bushings on their shocks are galvinized in durning production. I dont buy it, but have been unable to contact anyone who has the bushing. i would measure, but at this point the lower mount eyelet is fairly jacked. Today i just put some generic rubber bushing in like i did last time. without the metal jacket they only last about a month though.

KYB tech support did actually step up though and say they would replace the struts if i had a recipt. Unfortunately I got them through Jeremy and he never had a recipt. Didnt really pay much for them so i am just going to save up and replace them here in the near future unless i happen upon the right bushing in the meantime. Just drives me insane that they dont have a replacement bushing when these go bad often enough for every major auto store to stock the stock tacoma one.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
And I got them from my former boss at KYB...they were warrantied for "customer satisfaction" reasons, meaning they rode too firm for some jackass. So, that's a damn fine pair of shocks considering it's on its 3rd owner...and some serious wheeling!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Oh, and the reason the OMEs ride so nice is because they're a low pressure twin-tube style shock, compared to the KYB monomax's high pressure monotube design (a la Bilstein)

·
Registered
372 Posts
KYB is generally pretty good about honoring their lifetime warranty. My shop sells a shit ton of KYB stuff, on Monday I'll talk to our rep and maybe see if I cant sweet talk him into warrantying your shocks. Never seen bushings available separately.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
KYB reps are hard to come by these days. When I was one, we sold shocks direct to every little independent offroad shop out there, and I spent a lot of time dealing with issues just like this one. I could always write off a set of free shocks/struts (ahhh, the good old days) for a small customer if it smelled kosher.
But now, KYB only sells direct to MAJOR accounts like Tire Rack, WorldPac, CARQUEST, Summit Racing, etc. In five years, I've only seen the KYB rep once at CARQUEST (which is KYB's largest customer). This is why Ike is having such trouble getting a replacement, because there is no direct factory representation anymore.

GasBandit, if your shop does business with WorldPac, they miiiiggghhhhht take 'em back for a new set, but it's HIGHLY unlikely, without a receipt, packaging, or anything else. Worth a try asking though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts