TTORA Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I have been pm'ing back and forth with a master tech from Texas, but right now he is telling me to change sensors I have already changed, so yes...you can say frustration is really beginning to set in!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If it gets to be too much you're more then welcome to come on down and drink all the Shiner in my fridge! :D

Are you sure you got all the bad gas out of it? Maybe the injectors need some cleaning from sitting for so long?

I dunno, but it has to be something simple!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
that sounds pretty good about now (shiner) although I had my first two beers tonight in over two months at the Indians game.

I have drained the gas out of the fuel cell twice in now. there is no bad gas left. the injectors were cleaned already. But I agree with you and have said it the entire time. Whenever I find the cause, it is going to be something simple. which is bound to piss me off even further. LOL!

Only thing I can think of presently is I was replacing parts with used instead of new or OEM parts. so I guess I am going to go back over the connectors as well as start replacing sensors again with brand new ones. Basically I am "throwing my hands up in the air" so to speak.

I actually had a quick thought tonight about pulling the motor and going with a suggestion Brinner gave me a while back.... building up and putting the 302 I have into it! but I am sure that would only create another type of headache all of it's own! Besides I am bound and determined to solve this damn problem!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
that sounds pretty good about now (shiner) although I had my first two beers tonight in over two months at the Indians game.

I have drained the gas out of the fuel cell twice in now. there is no bad gas left. the injectors were cleaned already. But I agree with you and have said it the entire time. Whenever I find the cause, it is going to be something simple. which is bound to piss me off even further. LOL!

Only thing I can think of presently is I was replacing parts with used instead of new or OEM parts. so I guess I am going to go back over the connectors as well as start replacing sensors again with brand new ones. Basically I am "throwing my hands up in the air" so to speak.

I actually had a quick thought tonight about pulling the motor and going with a suggestion Brinner gave me a while back.... building up and putting the 302 I have into it! but I am sure that would only create another type of headache all of it's own! Besides I am bound and determined to solve this damn problem!
First off, who the hell is Brinner? :D
Secondly, it's not a Taco if you install a 302!

Have you thought about removing all your favorite parts and installing them on a Taco you bought at a local dealer or Craigs list?

*edit...
I used to work at Butler Toyota as a new car detailer (I was 20, holy fvck that was 20 years ago!). I still know the managers there, I'll call them and see if I can find you something if you want!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
just go with the carbed 302 and a t-5...sell the 3.4 and 5 speed as a "running" combo.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
you can check with Butler if you like, I am not sure what I can expect from them right now as I am strapped for cash and wouldn't be able to let them look at the truck for a while.

I guess if you can check to see how much a Tps would be or if they have any master tech on staff.

I have thought about a different taco, but at this point it is not in the cards as I have my ford and have a wife and two kids that also are in need of daily vehicles.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
It is an enticing idea, but one I just can't pull the trigger on yet. and to call this engine running...well I am not 100% positive I could say that. yes it cranks and runs, but to me if it don't operate properly it isn't "running" :eek:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
another option suggested last night: sell entire truck, build 302 and build tube chassis! But damnit! too proud, I am going to solve this first then decide what to do with it!:mad:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
latest suggestion is to change out the TPS. which is making sense (as much as the last sensor) because it is the very last sensor to change out. I overlooked it somehow and forgot it.

But the master tech I have been conversing with, described further symptoms my truck is experiencing without me mentioning them to him. One being that the TPS will cause the motor to "cut out" a half throttle. Which is indeed exactly where the truck repeated bogged down the last time I revved the truck up by hand (also forgotten since that was two months ago)

My parts supplier is a bit slow on delivery, but since this is not a daily driver any longer I can afford to wait for the savings I obtain via my connection.

So next week I hope I will have favorable results to report.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
thanks, I'll hopefully have a progress report by next weekend. the last week or so have been focused on the house projects so no progress since the blower went back on.

At least I know the throttle response is quicker until the motor bogs out. :(

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
man that is so cool!

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
7/15/10 update

Well the troops keep marching forward, by the end of the month they should be in Paris....

sorry wrong type of update. LOL

got the TPS in today but still need to "dial" it in. when installing the TPS I found out that you can not just plug and play. there are adjustments that need to be made.

so tomorrow after I go buy an ohm meter, I should be under the hood testing the new Tps and adjust in the idle. according to the one former ford tech and master toyota tech that has been helping me long distance from texas and mississippi, after the adjustments the truck should be running.

If that is the case it will be loaded up...again. for the redbird run on Saturday. As usual, the truck won't be road tested properly but hopefully it will at least see a trail this time out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
got the TPS in today but still need to "dial" it in. when installing the TPS I found out that you can not just plug and play. there are adjustments that need to be made.
I don't know what special about it. all I did was drop it in. nothing but 2 screws and a wire harness. that was a year ago. it was throwing cods on and off in a span of 2 months so I went ahead changed it.

my understanding is a TPS is just a step resistor, a very simple sensor.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Tony came over and with the aid of both his scan gauge and code reader. we determined that it was not the new TPS causing the issue.

the code thrown was PO120 which is the TPS "circuit" reading in Tony's FSM. it says it can be one of three problems. the TPS itself, the circuit or wiring harness has an opening (short) in it. or the ECU.

I HATE ELECTRICAL!

I also changed out the check valve on the throttle body put in place to prevent blow back through it from the supercharger, and found a broken connector. I couldn't find the exact type and went with an aftermarket connnector and I think it is resticting vacuum too much now as well. So I am going to have to replumb those vacuum lines also.

201 - 220 of 247 Posts
About this Discussion
246 Replies
15 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing