TTORA Forum banner

241 - 247 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #241

I'll post other locations when I get the "dust & cob webs" brushed off :p :wiggle:

I think Connor may already has a few different shots

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Hhope you got rid of all those gremlins once and for all! Please gimme the 'skinny on the remedy whenst you get a chance. Good news for sure!

2-12-2009 til 4-30-2013 :eek:
Well, I am not the most alert I have ever been, but as what as now become typical, the insomnia has kicked in so I might as well give some "specifics" on what I have "learned"

What has now become four years ago, when life was good and I was making plans to retire my Tacoma from the road. I had aspirations to build a custom rear four link on it. When I started making the inital plans /modifications for that project and when the truck became "ill"

In doing the 4-link, the first modification to the truck was the stock fuel tank had to be relocated. Simple! Right? Install a new fuel cell and call it a day! And for about six months that was reality. Which thinking back; created much of the misdirection that continued as everyone knows about and many attempted support and/or help (many offered both and I am grateful to all)

The very first time I began noticing a lack of power was actually the same weekend I met you (Mark) in Harlan! The truck just felt like it was "low" on power, as if I filled up with bad gas.

Then a few weeks after that, while driving to the south side of Indy to help with crosby's lift, the truck really started to hesitate as if it was running out of gas but nothing too serious and I stopped to fill up especially since installing the cell I had no sending unit & was guessing when I was low on fuel. Anyway, after the day helping I began home where on the trip the symptoms became more and more severe to where I got off the highway & tried to limp home on the surface streets where the truck actually stopped running at a stop light, and so began the "witch hunt for the mystery cause to why the truck felt like it was "vapor locking" when it had no reason to be locking up.

Everyone knows what all I "threw at" the truck to fix and how many times it felt fixed only to later start acting the same way right at 2500 rpm's!

Never did I think about the fuel cell being the cause, well not until I rwalizwd the location I installed the cell was actually lower than the fuel pump location. I also guessed maybe the fuel cell was too far away causing the fuel pressure to drop off before reaching the rail. So I made the decision to relocate the cell to the bed thus I attempted to build my own custom cell/tank which seemed like a good idea to solve the low location and the long path of the fuel lines.

So the fuel cell was addressed...the exact same symptoms persisted! I basically got to the point of giving up many times having Pam talk me out of getting rid of the truck.

Then one day, a buddy of mine was over and he asked about the truck as a general curiosity. He has zero experience with off roading, but in reality he is no stranger to automotive mechanics. He enjoys building 1000+ horsepowered/sub 9 second strip cars! Hey what the hell? He won't find the problem especially since I have had many master mechanics, dealerships, experienced and very knowledgable members and even a couple of dogs (no seriously my dogs used to enjoy getting under my truck and sniffing around as if they were exploring for causes)

But like I said, I didn't figure my friend tony would find anything. But without even getting his hands dirty and within FIVE MINUTES hit exactly on the problem!(and with all his experience he hates EFI equipped cars/trucks)

As I said I installed the first fuel cell, I replaced all the sensors, I found the hidden crank pulley that was missing 8 teeth basically what I am saying is what knowledge I didn't possess, I learned along the way. And I was always told that the EFI was a "sealed system", that for the proper pressure the fuel cell needed to be completely air tight and I went to great lengths to make sure my fuel system was just that...air tight!

Well the first question my friend tony asked me was "where's your vent for the cell?"

Perplexed, I declared that toyota's EFI needed to be sealed. Being the nice guy tony is, he just suggested that I might install a vent on the cell. So rePecting Tony's knowledge, I did just that.

Guess what? After years of trying diagnose the fuel delivery, replacing all the sensors, multiple fuel pumps, the timing belt, the entire exhaust system and relocating the first fuel cell...the whole damn problem was the truck WAS vapor locking. And although I thought the fuel system was suppose to be sealed it actually isn't. Who else realized that our fuel systems are vented? Can anyone tell me where the vent is? Mueller?Mueller?Mueller?

The stock gas tank is vented by the damn gas cap! Which I did know but never thought about being a problem especially since the symptoms were so severe they had to be caused by something complexed! From the very beginning I held fast to the theory whatever the cause I was going to remain optimistic it would be fixed by something cheap and simple!

And as stupid as I feel ( and probably am) I guess I was right:it was something cheap. It was something simple! It was the damn gas cap. DUH! No better yet D'OH!

And to cap everything off, while on the test drive that indicated my friend Tony solved the puzzle and my truck was fixed, another cheap little plastic wire loom that held my ignition wires away from the steering shaft (got brittle sitting so long) broke and allowed the ignition harness to wrap around the steering shaft and short out.

This time I expected the issue to be severe and quite possibly expensive to fix. Afterall either of the fuse boxes could have shorted out, the ecu could have been shorted or anything. The symptoms were no dash gauges, no hvac, no interior power what so ever, and the alternator was not charging the battery even though I bought a used one from full tilt fud (Todd from Michigan).

The electrical turned out to be a bad alternator (remember I bought a used one from Todd) and the 10amp "gauge" fuse that looked as if it was intact. I looked at every fuse at least 10 times before Connor actually saw the hair line "crack" in the fuse link. What a pisser! And why does THAT fuse provide power to the alternator?

Anyway...a gas cap, a supposed good alternator and a barely blown fuse has kept my truck from running for almost 4 years! And yes, I feel ridiculously stupid please don't run it all in.lol

·
4,068 Posts
Damn. Makes sense though. Fuel is supplied, some is used by the engine and less volume is returned to the cell, thus creating a vacuum.

So did you add a rollover vent?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
All three cells have had roll overs in them.

Can't remember if I post images of my aluminum cell up but I think I may have. Once I remember & find them I'll direct you over to them.

:xofftopic
So if you are ready in June & aren't going far for the shake downs, where might you want to go?

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
I thought I posted photos of the new cell they are in my tech thread titled " fuel cell 3.0"

·
4,068 Posts
All three cells have had roll overs in them.

Can't remember if I post images of my aluminum cell up but I think I may have. Once I remember & find them I'll direct you over to them.

:xofftopic
So if you are ready in June & aren't going far for the shake downs, where might you want to go?
Badlands, Haspin, Cliffs, Redbird, maybe interlake. You know...local :D

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I prefer redbird & badlands over the others, and we do need to put together a work day at red bird anyway

241 - 247 of 247 Posts
About this Discussion
246 Replies
15 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing