TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are we as a club/individuals doing to keep public lands open to wheeling?

What should we be doing?

What does everyone think is feasable for us to get done over this next year?

·
7,735 Posts
We (or at least some of us) were taking part in the left-hand cleanup each year, but that's gone now. I think we should get involved with the other clubs that have adopted the trails we run and give them a hand.

I know there was a sand hills something or other cleanup, and we really should have participated, but I just couldn't swing it personally. I think there wasn't much interest because it's not the kind of wheeling the majority of this club does.

At one point we had somebody who went to the various meetings to represent us and report back what's going on.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
There's a thread somewhere (as always) about this; I forget who started it but I think we were looking at adopting Iron Chest or Grizzly Lake Trail? It's an old thread and from what I can remember (ha ha) our contact at the USFS was moved/promoted and the replacement person was hard to get a hold of or something. Typical government stuff...

I picked up 3 beer bottles at Penrose the other week. :p

>>Dan

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is my thread and it is still going. Just moving slowly. Hopefully I can get it done by the begining of the wheeling season.

Doug, thats a good idea.

I just posted this because we need to try and be proactive as a club so that we are educated and ready for the fight when/if trails start being shut down. Instead of being caught off gaurd and reacting when it is too late.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Volunteers are good, but sadly, what is most needed is money.

Blue Ribbon, COHVCO, United4wd, all need money to keep things going. They have salaries to pay, as keeping tabs on, and fighting for our trails is a full time job. They also need lobbyists, and donations to politicians.

The Greenies have millions of supporters, even people who will never go out and see the great outdoors, but rather just dislike people who enjoy motorized recreation.

Unfortunately, the responsible wheelers, bikers, ATVers etc, like us, spend our spare change on our rigs, and have little to donate most of the time. The rest of the group, or the assholes, as I call them, could give a damn, and would rather just tear things up and do as they please.

I know this club is not dues collecting, but we could set up a paypal for donations throughout the year, and at the end of the year, vote how the money is split up and donated. We can give to the aforementioned organizations, to local clubs who work on our favorite trails, like Mile High, or TrailRidge.

Anyway, just my .02. I will donate if the fund is set up.

·
7,735 Posts
They also need lobbyists, and donations to politicians.
It feels completely hypocritical to understand and agree with this statement and simultaneously feel that this is exactly what I think is wrong with with the corrupt politicians we 'get' to vote for every election.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
It feels completely hypocritical to understand and agree with this statement and simultaneously feel that this is exactly what I think is wrong with with the corrupt politicians we 'get' to vote for every election.
Hypocritical? I'm not sure, but yes, it does suck. I agree with you 100%. Sadly, we must play the game, or we will lose our trails. The greenies play the game, and play it VERY well. If we hope to continue to enjoy our public lands, we gotta at least play at their level. Hopefully someday, we can be better.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I know that the little things do help. When "they" saw lefthand was getting trashed they shut down carnage and started throwing up cable. I know that I and many here will pick up trash we see, block offtrail routes that develop, and spread the word when we deem it necessary to other trail users.

there was one instance I remember hearing about recently where a group from our club refused to help some stuck rednecks because they were blatantly offtrail. This was a run down in the springs IIRC. Showing that we care might rub off on others. No, its not a solution or very much help. but any little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I know that the little things do help. When "they" saw lefthand was getting trashed they shut down carnage and started throwing up cable.
Sorta. The real issue was that 80% of "carnage" was not "on trail" The route was so heavily used that the actual trail looked like it was the offtrail route.

There was heavy water pollution from carnage. That was why it got shut down. Lots of grease, gas, oil, and general erosion mixing into the drainage and getting washed into the creek.

·
7,735 Posts
there was one instance I remember hearing about recently where a group from our club refused to help some stuck rednecks because they were blatantly offtrail. This was a run down in the springs IIRC. Showing that we care might rub off on others. No, its not a solution or very much help. but any little bit helps.
I was in that group.. it was a run at Eagle rock.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, at first we thought about helping them, but then thought better of it. It was a group of lifted domestic fullsizes that were flying confederate flags. Way to conform to a bad stereo type. They had gone past signs saying to stay on trial as well as around a post and cable fence to get to the mud that they had a truck burried to the axles in. Instead a call was made to the authorities letting them know where the off trail people where. We saw them heading up as we were heading down.

Not the best outcome as the FS had to deal with off trail ass hats, but atleast they got the call from a group of wheelers and not the greenies.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yeah, at first we thought about helping them, but then thought better of it. It was a group of lifted domestic fullsizes that were flying confederate flags. Way to conform to a bad stereo type. They had gone past signs saying to stay on trial as well as around a post and cable fence to get to the mud that they had a truck burried to the axles in. Instead a call was made to the authorities letting them know where the off trail people where. We saw them heading up as we were heading down.

Not the best outcome as the FS had to deal with off trail ass hats, but atleast they got the call from a group of wheelers and not the greenies.
This is exactly what should be done. Well done sirs! Its not so much the FS having to deal with asshats, they deal with asshats every day. Its more about limiting damage. If these tool bags get a ticket, they will think twice before doing it again. This will help keep damage to a minimum, and the trail open.

The FS generally will leave a road as long as the road is the only place vehicles go. Its the off trail, user created routes that gets them pissed.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Credit has to go to Icehorses dad for calling them in.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Man I've been out too long. Molly's in Tejas and Ike's prez?....wtf.

Anyway, I'm down for cleanups. I've been out all year with anything with the club and would love to do something constructive. Probably too late in the year for most trails now, but once everything thaws out. I've got a nice offroad trailer that would work great for hauling shit out.

I've been on a few trails out here, so which one's get trashed the most?

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The trails that are close to major population hubs get trashed the most. They are easiest for the people who dont give a fuck to get to so that is where they go to party/shoot/be asshats. most of the high country trails are fairly clean mostly in part due to their inaccesability.

·
20,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Blue Ribbon, COHVCO, United4wd, all need money to keep things going. They have salaries to pay, as keeping tabs on, and fighting for our trails is a full time job. They also need lobbyists, and donations to politicians.
Very good point here. I for one have been slacking on this, but plan to join atleast Blue Ribbon this month. It would be sweet if everyone here joined atleast one of the groups. In part for the extra money for the cause and also in part for the added numbers that they can show when they lobby.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts