TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have a laptop setup in your rigs? im looking for someway to wire it up so my dell can be mounted someplace so that i can use it. Also is there any way to get the internet on it? Im thinking for road trips it would be nice to be able to have directions on it, or to stop and look something up. I have cingular as a cell phone if that matters.

I havent got the laptop yet, its being shipped. So im just discovering all i can do with it. Its a dell inspiron 8600 with 100gb hard drive and 768 ram for anybody that is interested. Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Let Me Know...

Hey, let me know if you find a way to mount your computer because I too am looking...

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 5100 running Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005 which I have interfaced with the NMEA 3.0 compatible Garmin eTrex GPS (I had to find an adapter to hook it up to the computer because I don't have a DB9 RS232 port). It tracks my position and let's me know where am I'm at in relation to where I'm going.

Yes, you can get internet even though you are mobile, but I am not 100% sure about your cell service provider. I have a Verizon LG8600 which simply plugs into one of the USB ports and gives you a connection.....

cough cough.... 14.4kbps... cough cough... ;)

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
XxRODERIGOxX said:
Do any of you have a laptop setup in your rigs? im looking for someway to wire it up so my dell can be mounted someplace so that i can use it. Also is there any way to get the internet on it? Im thinking for road trips it would be nice to be able to have directions on it, or to stop and look something up. I have cingular as a cell phone if that matters.

I havent got the laptop yet, its being shipped. So im just discovering all i can do with it. Its a dell inspiron 8600 with 100gb hard drive and 768 ram for anybody that is interested. Thanks.
I have a Joto Desk to mount my computer to. I run Topo! by National Geographic (off road) and Street Atlas USA (delorme) for road trips. My Garmin GPS interfaces with both programs, the street atlas program has a pretty good search feature. My last cell phone would work to access the internet but my new one will not work. Conect speed was a little slow (28.8) but better than nothing. I think the newer phones would be a lot quicker.

Bought mine here http://www.jottodeskcanada.com/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
The dell 8600 is a massive computer. I really don't think it would be effective to use in a Tacoma.

I have a Dell 600m but I haven't done anything to run it in my truck yet.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
what is the least I would have to spend on a used laptop and GPS unit/software package to get fairly easy topo/GPS/mapping use for my tow rig?

·
Registered
257 Posts
98 Taco said:
what is the least I would have to spend on a used laptop and GPS unit/software package to get fairly easy topo/GPS/mapping use for my tow rig?
Uh im not too sure about the cheapest but nextel cell phones with gps can be connected to a laptop and used to run software.. neat i think :clap:

·
Registered
135 Posts
XxRODERIGOxX said:
I dont know much about mounting it, But a buddy of mine runs the internet off his cell phone when he is out on the ocean, and his connection is EXTREMELY SLOW! He gets less then a 28k connection and says its not worth the trouble. Its soo frustrating that he doesnt use it anymore. But then again, he IS out on the ocean, so it might be different, not exactly sure, but its something to think about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nextel phones and GPS

Yeti said:
Uh im not too sure about the cheapest but nextel cell phones with gps can be connected to a laptop and used to run software.. neat i think :clap:

I just ordered my cable to hook up my nextel i 830 to my laptop and saw this post. Do you know anything about making the GPS work on the laptop? I know it can be done, just not sure how. Any information would be greatly appricated.

Oh and just a note to anyone else wishing to connect to the web using their cell phone, check out e-bay, i got my car charger cable and the computer cable for $5 plus shipping, that still only brought it to $9.

Chris
Kentucky Yota

P.S. Non-intentional Hi-jack, I swear. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=30570#
Cool

·
Registered
925 Posts
XxRODERIGOxX said:

check out ram mounts. they have a bunch of different laptop mounts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts