TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my 2" BL off soon and need to figure something out for my rear wheelwell. I have 33x10.5s on 4.5" BS wheels. The vehicle is 4wd so it has those cheap plastic OEM fender flares on right now but I'm looking to go with a slightly larger cutout so my tires won't rub the fender. I think I would be good with just taking the flares off but then I'd have the holes in my bedside showing and glass bedsides are a definite no.

Since my truck is also a D-cab there is the issue of making it fit kinda right around the filler neck area since the stock flares have a cutout for that part.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
I'm taking my 2" BL off soon and need to figure something out for my rear wheelwell. I have 33x10.5s on 4.5" BS wheels. The vehicle is 4wd so it has those cheap plastic OEM fender flares on right now but I'm looking to go with a slightly larger cutout so my tires won't rub the fender. I think I would be good with just taking the flares off but then I'd have the holes in my bedside showing and glass bedsides are a definite no.

Since my truck is also a D-cab there is the issue of making it fit kinda right around the filler neck area since the stock flares have a cutout for that part.
Bushwhacker cut out flares? Though I'm not sure how much you cut out... :confused:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cutting's been done yet. Just getting my ducks in a row :)

Main concern is the gas filler cap section.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have the BW cutouts and I would advise against them. I have found them brittle and have broken two of them so far. The worst part about them is that once you have them you can't go back to other flares later because of all the hole you drill in the fenders and bedsides. I would have taken mine off but then I'd have 60 little holes in the truck. The other thing is you really don't gain any additional clearance from them.

If you're in the market for bigger flares then get the Xenon's. ....Steve

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Xenon ones looked good from what I could see, but all the sites don't have a picture of a Taco with 'em.

·
Registered
262 Posts
the size tire you can fit doesnt really depend on your fender flares at all. if you are not cutting your fenders, then pretty much all fender flares will leave your wheel well the same size and your tire size will depend on how much lift/hammering you put into your truck. the only difference that the flares will make is how much of the tread is covered outside the fender.
________
Kawasaki KDX80

·
Registered
157 Posts
I didn't mean to sound quite like such a newb. :D

I'm planning on cutting my fenders. I'm looking for an alternative to the Bushwacker cut-outs since a bunch of people have problems with them since they're fairly brittle.

I'm looking to replace the stock flares with something that allows for a larger wheel well opening (really just covers up the cut part and makes it look OK). Oh, and I don't own a Toyota. It's for another application. :D

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
tmorgan4 said:
I didn't mean to sound quite like such a newb. :D

I'm planning on cutting my fenders. I'm looking for an alternative to the Bushwacker cut-outs since a bunch of people have problems with them since they're fairly brittle.

I'm looking to replace the stock flares with something that allows for a larger wheel well opening (really just covers up the cut part and makes it look OK). Oh, and I don't own a Toyota. It's for another application. :D
For Tacomas, there aren't any other alternatives as far as cut out fender flares go. I'd say just cut it and leave it :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
amatoer10
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing