TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm the latest 7-pin tow hitch plug casualty and I would like some advice regarding the 7-pin plug.

The plug is still attached to the wiring harness and is now zip tied up and out of the way to the frame, but the cover is gone and the pins are exposed. I understand I should not leave it exposed for long, but I don't want to buy an expensive OEM replacement. I may wrap a plastic bag around the plug until I figure out what I'm going to do. Other suggestions welcome..

I know some guys have replaced theirs with an inexpensive 4 pin plug, but I'd like to keep my 7 pin and wondering if I can get any cheap 7 pin plug to replace mine? I'm assuming all the 7-pin plugs are the same. Correct?

NOTE: I'm just talking about the plug not the mount. Whatever I do it will not be mounted in the original spot, lesson learned... Actually, it will be probably be zip tied to the frame for ever.

UPDATE: Just noticed rogersja63 post where he relocated his plug into the bumper. That's what I'm going to do...

Thanks,
AC

·
Registered
803 Posts
anthonycoley said:
I'm the latest 7-pin tow hitch plug casualty and I would like some advice regarding the 7-pin plug.

The plug is still attached to the wiring harness and is now zip tied up and out of the way to the frame, but the cover is gone and the pins are exposed. I understand I should not leave it exposed for long, but I don't want to buy an expensive OEM replacement. I may wrap a plastic bag around the plug until I figure out what I'm going to do. Other suggestions welcome..

I know some guys have replaced theirs with an inexpensive 4 pin plug, but I'd like to keep my 7 pin and wondering if I can get any cheap 7 pin plug to replace mine? I'm assuming all the 7-pin plugs are the same. Correct?

NOTE: I'm just talking about the plug not the mount. Whatever I do it will not be mounted in the original spot, lesson learned... Actually, it will be probably be zip tied to the frame for ever.

Thanks,
AC
Put it back in this location, any 7 pin plug will work. Just use the wires coming off the OEM connector. I've got the wire colors/ pin assignments written down and can help you with that-

Edit: Just saw your edit. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim,

Thanks!
I was just about to PM you...

Can you shoot me the diagram when you get a chance? I'm going to do exactly what you did. That's the ticket for sure..

Also, I was thinking I needed to move the plug, but sure enough I'm being forced to after the fact..

Regards,
AC

·
Registered
803 Posts
anthonycoley said:
Hi Jim,

Thanks!
I was just about to PM you...

Can you shoot me the diagram when you get a chance? I'm going to do exactly what you did. That's the ticket for sure..

Also, I was thinking I needed to move the plug, but sure enough I'm being forced to after the fact..

Regards,
AC
Don't have a diagram handy but 7 pin plugs usually have a diagram on them somewhere and on the 05+ Tacoma's the wires are-

Black= Trailer Battery
Brown=Turn/Stop RH Light
Yellow= Backup Lights
Blue= Trailer Brakes
White= Ground
Red= Turn/Stop LH Light
Green= Tail Lights

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I did something similar, mounted it inbetween the license plate light and license...
[/IMG]

The Pin out should also be on the mount...

AC: the cargo bars are working out great...thanks for the deal...

·
Registered
803 Posts
ocdropzone said:
I did something similar, mounted it inbetween the license plate light and license...
[/IMG]

This is looking from the backside of the plug or the front side of the trailer wire since I know for a fact that the black wire is at the 1 o'clock position if you open the cover and look in at the pins. Like you said though the pinout is diagrammed soemwhere on the new plug or on the plug cover if it's OEM.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Have any of you EVER used that 7 pin for anything other than a place to plug the flat four pin adaptor?

I'm just wondering why anybody would go through all that trouble for a connector that fits virtualy nothing except maybe a travel trailer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
fast frank said:
Have any of you EVER used that 7 pin for anything other than a place to plug the flat four pin adaptor?

I'm just wondering why anybody would go through all that trouble for a connector that fits virtualy nothing except maybe a travel trailer.
I'm not sure what uses a 7 pin, it's not that common. I'm guessing it's actually a 7 blade and those are really common. I suppose you never pull anything heavy enough to require trailer brakes yet you still give out towing advice on the internet. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
rogersja63 said:
Don't have a diagram handy but 7 pin plugs usually have a diagram on them somewhere and on the 05+ Tacoma's the wires are-

Black= Trailer Battery
Brown=Turn/Stop RH Light
Yellow= Backup Lights
Blue= Trailer Brakes
White= Ground
Red= Turn/Stop LH Light
Green= Tail Lights
So roger,
Your saying the color code is the same on your truck?I'm going to put a 7 pin connecter when I don't have one.I like the mode on the bumper,I think I'll put mine there.

·
Registered
803 Posts
shaggy99 said:
So roger,
Your saying the color code is the same on your truck?I'm going to put a 7 pin connecter when I don't have one.I like the mode on the bumper,I think I'll put mine there.
The only cost effective way to add the 7 pin if you didn't get the factory option is to use an aftermarket harness to splice into the brake and tail lights behind the rear bumper, then run your own wires for the battery and trailer brake wires. Mine was hooked up that way by the travel trailer dealer when I bought my trailer so I don't know what colors those 7 pin wires plugged into behind the bumper. The emergency flashers never worked when I was hooked up to the trailer so I took the more expensive route and bought the 7 pin plug + 4 pin wire harness from Toyota and combined them to make my own harness. The 7 pin wire harness is somewhere around $500 from Toyota because it's combined with the entire electrical bundle that does everything in the rear of the truck. Plus you'ld still have to order all the relays, convertors, and fuses to make the system work. The 4 pin harness comes as a kit with all that stuff and is a lot cheaper. You just have to combine that with a 7 pin plug to make your own harness. :2cents:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 7 pin connecter on my camper,no need for e- brakes dosn't have them,I basicly want to wire my running lights,directionals and brake lights any info on this would be great,I didn't want to go with any relays or inline braker if possible

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
fast frank said:

I have.
My Tacoma has a 4 pin and had to go the other direction when I borrowed Murderman 18 ft car hauler for a recent move.

·
Registered
803 Posts
shaggy99 said:
I have a 7 pin connecter on my camper,no need for e- brakes dosn't have them,I basicly want to wire my running lights,directionals and brake lights any info on this would be great,I didn't want to go with any relays or inline braker if possible
Then you want the trailer wire harness kit from Toyota. Since Toyota doesn't make a kit to install a 7 pin you'll get the 4 pin kit. You can't just tap into the tail/brake lights on the truck because Toyota uses different lights for turn signals and brakes. All the trailers that I know of use the same bulb to do these 2 functions, so somewhere there needs to be a converter in the system to combine these signals for the trailer. However, none of the aftermarket harnesses/converters worked the emergency flashers correctly when the trailer was hooked up so I bought the 4 pin harness (which has all the parts you'll need) from Toyota to make it all work right. Then you can buy an adapter that goes between the 4 pin on your truck to the 7 pin on the trailer. Does your trailer have it's own battery? How does that get charged? I've never seen a trailer that had a 7 pin but no brakes or extra batteries. :confused:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
rogersja63 said:

Black= Trailer Battery
Brown=Turn/Stop RH Light
Yellow= Backup Lights
Blue= Trailer Brakes
White= Ground
Red= Turn/Stop LH Light
Green= Tail Lights
Hi Jim,

Thanks! I just remembered I had this:
Trailer Towing for Trailer Socket 7P Type

(NOTE: this link no longer works, had to remove the files. )

I tried to post it as a image, but I guess you cannot post .pdf like an image.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome! I'm glad they're working out for you...

ocdropzone said:
[/IMG]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I haven't, but I want the 7-pin. IMO, it's no more trouble to replace the 7-pin than it is to terminiate 3 wires and install a 4-pin. In addition, if I mount it in the bumper I "should" never have this issue again, plus it's easier to go from a 7-pin adapter to a 4-pin than the other way around, so I'm covered if I ever need to pull something with brakes..

Oh, yeah, with it mounted in the bumper I won't have the cattail thingy... :D

fast frank said:

·
Registered
29 Posts
rogersja63 said:
Then you want the trailer wire harness kit from Toyota. Since Toyota doesn't make a kit to install a 7 pin you'll get the 4 pin kit. You can't just tap into the tail/brake lights on the truck because Toyota uses different lights for turn signals and brakes. All the trailers that I know of use the same bulb to do these 2 functions, so somewhere there needs to be a converter in the system to combine these signals for the trailer. However, none of the aftermarket harnesses/converters worked the emergency flashers correctly when the trailer was hooked up so I bought the 4 pin harness (which has all the parts you'll need) from Toyota to make it all work right. Then you can buy an adapter that goes between the 4 pin on your truck to the 7 pin on the trailer. Does your trailer have it's own battery? How does that get charged? I've never seen a trailer that had a 7 pin but no brakes or extra batteries. :confused:

Yep it has a battery and a charger but if I don't have to run the charger I think the battery will carry long enough till I get to where I'm go'in.Although it would be nice to have it.You say 500.00 for the toyota setup?Thats a little out of my budget right now.Sorry,I just reread your post about the for pin connector that looks more like it.I'll probaly go that way
Thanks!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
shaggy99 said:
Yep it has a battery and a charger but if I don't have to run the charger I think the battery will carry long enough till I get to where I'm go'in.Although it would be nice to have it.You say 500.00 for the toyota setup?Thats a little out of my budget right now.Sorry,I just reread your post about the for pin connector that looks more like it.I'll probaly go that way
Thanks!!
Nope $500 just for the whole frame harness for the rear of the truck which happens to include the wiring for the 7 pin. Toyota doesn't offer the wiring for the 7 pin plug in any kind of kit form so that doesn't include any relays, fuses, or towing converter to make it all work :mad: It's easier to spend the $100 bucks for the 4 -pin Toyota harness (which includes all the parts you need to make the trailer lights work) and adapt that to a 7 pin plug by running your own battery and trailer brake wire. :2cents:

·
Registered
29 Posts
rogersja63 said:
Nope $500 just for the whole frame harness for the rear of the truck which happens to include the wiring for the 7 pin. Toyota doesn't offer the wiring for the 7 pin plug in any kind of kit form so that doesn't include any relays, fuses, or towing converter to make it all work :mad: It's easier to spend the $100 bucks for the 4 -pin Toyota harness (which includes all the parts you need to make the trailer lights work) and adapt that to a 7 pin plug by running your own battery and trailer brake wire. :2cents:
Jim,
Saw the 4 pin harness on etrailer.com for about 39.00 + 7 more for a 7 pin adapter I can run a seperate hot for the charger
Thanks for the Info

1 - 20 of 36 Posts