TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I had a blast at The Cove! The runner is down for a while now but so worth this trip. We had a very shallow attendance being that is was just myself and my buddy Skeeter and his wife Shauna. We ventured out more this time and saw quiet a bit more of the cove and experienced 2 of the known caves in the area. I can't wait to get back out here and do more riding. I played in a new area that was so slick you couldn't stand up without your feet shooting out from under you. You could turn the wheel full lock one way and go the other. Absolutely no traction to be found. Anyways on with the pictures!

Our first stop for photos. This is the smaller opening cave. I think they call it the Mary Higgins cave.

rock face above the cave

This was our next playground. This was the slickest place I've yet to go. Looks so easy but you couldn't stand on any of this without falling. Turn full lock to the left and you go right. Its crazy slick.

skeeter got stuck on his front axle and couldn't go forward or backwards. I tried to go around him with plenty of room but I hit the rock with my axle and the rear end shot over and I hit his tire. The way I stopped I couldn't back up without hitting him more and I couldn't go forwards. Perfect picture but we were both stuck. He was easier to winch forward but his winch quit. So I had to winch over the rock.

my winch operator

leaving the creek bed and taking a baby flex picture

And the BIG CAVE

I think its dry enough to try to get in and hopefully I can get out. something caught my eye on my frame and I realized its flipping broken! Can't pass up this experience though. Onward I go!

HOLY CRAP its dark in here! My headlights were on here. Its that dark!

crawling in a cave!

my favorite wheeling partner

Limped back to the truck and hung out with the locals. Yahoo and Piggy.

Truck needs some repairs though. Broken frame almost half way around. Shock mount decided to jump off the frame. Braided brake line failure. I need to do a big tear down and fix a lot of stuff. All in all a great trip though.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
A/C cave is pretty neat, but the ride out there sucked. Was in a large group bouncing along for what seemed like an hour or more to get out there.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
A/C cave is pretty neat, but the ride out there sucked. Was in a large group bouncing along for what seemed like an hour or more to get out there.
agreed 10000000000000000%

big cave we call the air conditioner cave (ac cave) there is a small hole at the back of it that looks to be blocked by a log, but ive crawled all the way back as far as you can go before you start to get stuck and its pretty neat!

Whats the smaller cave near the creek? There is a hole that drops down about 5 feet then a small tunnel cave that goes on what seems like FOREVER. Jordan, Karl, Mark, and myself went down in that thing for about 30 minutes before we turned around. Coolest place I have ever been in. I love caves.

Joe- What did you do to the frame? too much wheeling I see....

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never played the frame and it broke below the shock mount. Starts in one of the frame holes and goes down, across the bottom, and starts going up the other side and runs into an existing ifs bracket.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
So let me get this straight, you got stuck on flat ground right next to a Heep that was also stuck on flat ground? ;) lol

The caves are awesome, we had opportunity a few years ago to check them out. Pics don't do them justice.

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So let me get this straight, you got stuck on flat ground right next to a Heep that was also stuck on flat ground? ;) lol

The caves are awesome, we had opportunity a few years ago to check them out. Pics don't do them justice.

Yup. He was on his front axle and couldn't move. I tried to go around and slid into him and diffed out on a rock. Couldn't back up without hitting him. It was so slick you could not stand up. I wouldn't let my son out of the truck for fear of broken bones. I've drove on ice sheets with more traction.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Whats the smaller cave near the creek? There is a hole that drops down about 5 feet then a small tunnel cave that goes on what seems like FOREVER. Jordan, Karl, Mark, and myself went down in that thing for about 30 minutes before we turned around. Coolest place I have ever been in. I love caves.
not sure that ive ever heard it called anything, but ive checked it out a couple times

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
not sure that ive ever heard it called anything, but ive checked it out a couple times
you what I am talking about right?

Where was that? I just remember playing follow the leader to get there.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
you what I am talking about right?

Where was that? I just remember playing follow the leader to get there.
yea i think i know what your talkin about. and i couldnt tell ya where its at.. its been atleast a yr since ive been to that one

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Yup. He was on his front axle and couldn't move. I tried to go around and slid into him and diffed out on a rock. Couldn't back up without hitting him. It was so slick you could not stand up. I wouldn't let my son out of the truck for fear of broken bones. I've drove on ice sheets with more traction.
You know I'm just messin' with ya right? Nice pics, I wanna go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't mean to open up an old thread but it's the only one I've found that has to do with the A/C cave! There's a group of Jeeps coming up from Montgomery next weekend and we were wanting to find the cave. We've seen the sign on the tree for a cave but weren't able to find it from there. Anyone know how to get there? Thanks in advance!!

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's off the right hand side just before a mud hole. You go up a little slope off the trail through a wooded section and it's just down the hill 100yards or so.

·
4,068 Posts
How often do you get out there? I used to go when SETO was there and haven't been there in a few years now. I would love to go early next year?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's off the right hand side just before a mud hole. You go up a little slope off the trail through a wooded section and it's just down the hill 100yards or so.
Thanks for this!! Just to make sure, you take the trail to the left of the river bed with the "Cave" sign and then DON'T go thru the big mud hole. If that's the case I know where that hole is so we should be able to find it. Thanks again!! Looking forward to riding this Friday!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
robsxlt
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing