TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the groms that purchased the cheap 2.0 SAWS off of Ebay.

The SAWS just arrived today. They appear to be new and undamaged. They both also appear to be the same and match up (eye to eye, etc). They both have the adjustment ring on the bottom and the current spring length shows about 1/2 inch worth of thread at the bottom of the adjustment ring.

I have never had a pair of coilovers. Should I even install these things? Are they the older revision? The springs correct?

They will be going on a 2002 Tacoma Ext 4x4.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Are the shock bodies threaded all the way up the side, or only about halfway? If only halfway, then thats the newer style shock. I think the current model 2.0 shocks come with a 650lb coil.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Yeah, thats the older version. Current version looks like this:

Guess thats whey they were so cheap. The schrader valve is recessed into the body right?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
The new SAWS (at least from the website) have the adjustment piece on the top of the coil. This one is on the bottom. Along with the valve for the nitrogen. (bottom = near brake).

Like this:

http://www.bajataco.com/SAW-Install-2.html
that is the old style 2.0 which, IMO, is a better design for the Taco...no issues with the coil bucket smacking the banjo bolt or the axle shaft.
the spring info should be printed on the coil itself in white. If they are Eibach springs they should be 15"/675# ...unless they are even older than that...might be 14"/600s. take some pics and post them up ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No markings on the coils.

The length suggests to me that they are pretty heavy spring.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
No markings on the coils.

The length suggests to me that they are pretty heavy spring.
if they aren't marked with "Eibach" and the weight amount and length then that may explain the price. interesting. I wonder who made the coils then.

looking "pretty heavy" tells you nothing. They might be 500# springs or they might be 650s...no way to tell since they seem to be off-brand coils added to a Sway Away shock.

remove the coil and get a total length measurement; that will help to figure out what these things are.

If someone with real SAWs can take a close-up pic of their coils showing the Eibach info it might help show the difference.

If they are at least 600# springs you'll be fine unless you intend on adding a heavy winch bumper.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yup thats the old 2.0 RaceRunner CoilOvers, that what I'm using on my 03'

Just an heads up, be aware of the top washer, the red bushing tends to go through the washer then it you'll be hearing noises. (washer is weak & little to small) but no need to change it right away, I changed mines when its was arleady install on the truck when the bushing bent the washer, and didnt need to remove it from the truck. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7002&highlight=racerunner+top+bushing
There is another thread but I couldn't find it

BTW are you using the RaceRunner decals that came with the coilovers ? Will to sell the Decals ? Let me know..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup thats the old 2.0 RaceRunner CoilOvers, that what I'm using on my 03'

Just an heads up, be aware of the top washer, the red bushing tends to go through the washer then it you'll be hearing noises. (washer is weak & little to small) but no need to change it right away, I changed mines when its was arleady install on the truck when the bushing bent the washer, and didnt need to remove it from the truck. http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7002&highlight=racerunner+top+bushing
There is another thread but I couldn't find it

BTW are you using the RaceRunner decals that came with the coilovers ? Will to sell the Decals ? Let me know..
Is there a fix for this????

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just need to replace the washer with an bigger and stronger one, that cover more around the bushing. You can get it from any hardware store, I got mines from HomeDepot. My driver's side top bushing made its way almost through the washer, actually it bent the washer and got stuck so it havn't came off, you'll need a wrench to hold the nut and a star allen wrench type to hold the top bolt stem.. I also changed my passenger side washer too the same time...

So.... Are you using the RaceRunner decals that came with the coilovers ? Will to sell the Decals ? Let me know..

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
The total length of the spring is 15 inches.

What would the total weight be then?
then they should be the 675s but it is strange that there is no marking from Eibach. The early versions had 14" 600# springs.

but, w/o the print on the spring there really is no way of knowing for sure w/o having the springs tested. Install them, enjoy the ride and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Recieved mine today. Look okay. No markings on the coil. This is interesting though...I recieved two coilovers. One says 2.5 series on the bottom and the other says 2.0 series on the bottom. The only diffence I see is that the thread part of the shock body goes up higher on the 2.5 series though. Any thoughts?...2.5" and 2" shocks? ( They look the same diameter to me). What is the diffences I should be seeing between the two sizes? I'll post pics later tonight.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts