TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not new to TTORA but I am not well versed in the LC side of the house.

I had a 98 runner which was my beloved steed but I was forced to depart with her to make room for a wife friendly, baby carrier which had more reliability. Ever since I dropped a drive shaft running up I-25 back in 2012 she had never been the same, that and I hadn't given her the love and affection needed. It was one thing after another and with a baby on the way I knew I couldn't keep on wrenching on her to keep her running, so a new vehicle was in order. In early 2013 the rear diff grenades itself, I swiftly replaced it with one from a salvage yard and then purchased a 2013 outback. Great car, no complaints, wife loves it as well, but I just miss rolling around in a lesser seen, more capable, more "me" yota. Now we have two children, while the outback suffices as a grocery getter, recital ferry and school taker to-er, I'm in search of another vehicle for myself, with more room than the runner had. Which brings me to the LC section. I've always lusted after these vehicles since I was a kid growing up in southwest colorado, seeing all the mods the guys had done to theirs back then was awe-inspiring to say the least. Now that I have the income and time to take on such a project I've been looking at different 100 series models. An early 2000 model is what I'm looking for since I like that body style the most. So from the years 99-2007 is there anything I should know or look into before purchasing? Aside from the given concerns, rust, other corrosion, car fax points, original parts, vin on the hood and all doors etc.

Also, a bit of a sillier question, I miss having the rear window being able to roll down. To my knowledge this is not an option on any series of LC, which draws my attention to the Sequoia. So, if any of you could offer any info to sway me one way or the other, please provide it!

Thanks in advance guys,

Sam

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
62 views and not a single reply. Wow, you LC guys are quite the helpful bunch.

Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, a bit of a sillier question, I miss having the rear window being able to roll down. To my knowledge this is not an option on any series of LC,
Thanks in advance guys,

Sam
fj55s had rear electric window. and they are the sexiest of all land cruisers, plus have far more room inside than those new fangled cruisers

·
Registered
7 Posts
LC's are great vehicles. I have owned a few. You should check out IH8MUD.com for LC specific questions. ALso SLEE's offroad (have website has a wealth of information) has info concerning the differences between the older and newer 100 series. I have a 99 with rear diff lock/center diff lock, rear AC and other great items. The 98-99 are the only ones (100 series) which came with the rear diff lock option others have the center diff lock and ATRAC. The 98-2002 came with the 4-speed auto trans and the 2003 up comes with the 5-speed auto trans. The 100/200 series have become popular just like the 80 Series. Prices have dropped on the earlier 100s. They are all IFS/gas motors unless you get one from overseas. (very pricey).

The one disadvantage of the 100s (and 80s, also) are they don't sip gas but gulps it down vigorously. You're looking between 11-17 MPG and that depends on how you equip them (read armor/lift/drawers, etc) and what the intended use is (DD, expedition, offroad, occasional use). I also drive a lifted DCAB 4x4,TRD with armor but perfer to drive the LC.

Good luck with your decision and purchase. BTW, the majority of LC owners (as well as most fourwheelers) are great people and are willing to go out of their way to provide info and help. TTORA is a great website but not as LC specific as IH8MUD. Be safe.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a 2000 and it has been a significant step up and step down from my tacoma. Kz_1 is right these are very gas hungry vehicles! Fully loaded down in my tacoma i could pull 18-20, this truck im happy to get 16. Ive gotten as good as 19 but to achieve this you must not push the pedal down more than a 32th of an inch at all times :/

On the other hand it blows the doors off the taco for comfort and towing capacity. I purchased mine only for an expo rig as i plan on living out of it for a bit, im building another rig for more serious stuff. The a-trac works awesome and if for some reason your vehicle looses control the vsc (vehicle skid control) kicks in and works amazing and is also very effective in the snow. I think this is a great platform for a reliable expo rig and my only complaint is the gas bill :(

Good luck with you purchase!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LC's are great vehicles. I have owned a few. You should check out IH8MUD.com for LC specific questions. ALso SLEE's offroad (have website has a wealth of information) has info concerning the differences between the older and newer 100 series. I have a 99 with rear diff lock/center diff lock, rear AC and other great items. The 98-99 are the only ones (100 series) which came with the rear diff lock option others have the center diff lock and ATRAC. The 98-2002 came with the 4-speed auto trans and the 2003 up comes with the 5-speed auto trans. The 100/200 series have become popular just like the 80 Series. Prices have dropped on the earlier 100s. They are all IFS/gas motors unless you get one from overseas. (very pricey).

The one disadvantage of the 100s (and 80s, also) are they don't sip gas but gulps it down vigorously. You're looking between 11-17 MPG and that depends on how you equip them (read armor/lift/drawers, etc) and what the intended use is (DD, expedition, offroad, occasional use). I also drive a lifted DCAB 4x4,TRD with armor but perfer to drive the LC.

Good luck with your decision and purchase. BTW, the majority of LC owners (as well as most fourwheelers) are great people and are willing to go out of their way to provide info and help. TTORA is a great website but not as LC specific as IH8MUD. Be safe.

Thanks so much for your input KZ. I was wondering about their gas consumption. It comes as no surprise since anyone would be hard pressed to find a V-8 tha sips gas. I've checked out the folks over at ih8mud and they're a great crowd. Been very helpful thus far. I'll be sure to post any future purchases here.

Thanks again!

Sam

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2000 and it has been a significant step up and step down from my tacoma. Kz_1 is right these are very gas hungry vehicles! Fully loaded down in my tacoma i could pull 18-20, this truck im happy to get 16. Ive gotten as good as 19 but to achieve this you must not push the pedal down more than a 32th of an inch at all times :/

On the other hand it blows the doors off the taco for comfort and towing capacity. I purchased mine only for an expo rig as i plan on living out of it for a bit, im building another rig for more serious stuff. The a-trac works awesome and if for some reason your vehicle looses control the vsc (vehicle skid control) kicks in and works amazing and is also very effective in the snow. I think this is a great platform for a reliable expo rig and my only complaint is the gas bill :(

Comfort is definitely a factor in this purchase. I'm glad to hear your thoughts on it. How does the power feel when you step on it? I'm not looking for anything overwhelming but I do appreciate a vehicle that can overtake the "35mph on every road club" driver with ease on a two lane highway.

Alast, the famous gas bill. Yikes. Maybe not the ideal road trip vehicle. Thats what the Subaru is for I suppose. I'm usually out of the country for a total of 6 months a year, so provided that the wife or two year old don't take it joyriding while I'm gone I shouldn't be too upset about the gas fiend.

Thanks for the input!

Sam

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

fj55s had rear electric window. and they are the sexiest of all land cruisers, plus have far more room inside than those new fangled cruisers

Pretty rad looking vehicle. Definitely would turn a lot of heads thats for sure. Especially a well built one. Surprising to hear about the interior room though. The later styles look so much larger, in pictures at least.

Thanks for the response!

Sam

·
Registered
43 Posts
exterior wise, newer rigs are bigger, but they have more room from outer sheetmetal to inner panels due to that new fangled crap they have to shove in there for emissions, safety, sound deadening, power everything and on the low end, they may be dang close, i'll have to compare floor measurements between my 80 and one of my pigs.

up top, all them new fangled rigs taper in, fj55s don't. much wider there. also, more interior length in a pig (fj55)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts