TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not bashing LCE, just a statement of facts...

Installed header last December when my truck had about 148K on it to replace the Downey garbage that was on there before. Truck now has almost 175K and is still in excellent running condition. About a week and a half ago I noticed a ticking sound that only an exhaust leak could produce. I figured it was the 2-bolt exhaust flange/gasket combo going out. Not so. After taking a few pictures I rang up LCE and was told to email in pictures of the problem.

Bad news bears:

My email to LCE:
Hello,

I purchased a 3RZ header appx. 18 months ago from you folks and I must
say that I am very pleased with the performance of it thus far. I
noticed just recently that my exhaust has developed a slight ticking
sound normally associated with an exhaust leak. Sure enough, I found
that my header has a crack right at the weld where the bead terminates
into the pipe at the o2 sensor flange. This vehicle is my normal daily
driver and I have put roughly 25K on the truck since the header
install. My daytime phone number is (***)-***-****. Please let me know
if I can provide any more information to help resolve this issue

Thank you for your time,
Phil

Response from LCE:
You should take it to your local welder and have him throw a bead on there.
Based on your pics that should take care of the leak. We can weld it here
but then you have downtime from removing shipping to us repairing and
shipping back. Unfortunately your out of warranty also. The quickest and
cheapest way to resolve that issue is a local welder. Thx, Dave

Those were the facts, now here's my :2cents:
To their credit, they were polite, got back to me within 24 hours, and did offer to repair it. This is the only issue that I have had with this header. It bolted up right, hasn't leaked at either of the flanges and freed up a little more power. However, I feel that a crack in that location is completely un-acceptable. It's not like o2 sensor weighs much or is under constant strain. The Downey header I ran for over 2 years was a real pile but the o2 sensor flange held up just fine. Sure I can take it to a welder, but I shouldn't have to. Its not the money, its the principal.

I know that when you start putting after market stuff on your rig you are taking a risk that things may or may not work perfectly, but in this case, it can be argued that this had no reason to fail, and we can't exactly chalk it up to improper installation either. Not saying that LCE should have overnighted me a new header, but they didn't exactly go out of their way.

The Long and short it:
Again, not trashing LCE, I just expected a little more from a company that places great emphasis on how happy customers are with the quality of their products and after-sale support.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Not bashing LCE, just a statement of facts...

Installed header last December when my truck had about 148K on it to replace the Downey garbage that was on there before. Truck now has almost 175K and is still in excellent running condition. About a week and a half ago I noticed a ticking sound that only an exhaust leak could produce. I figured it was the 2-bolt exhaust flange/gasket combo going out. Not so. After taking a few pictures I rang up LCE and was told to email in pictures of the problem.

Bad news bears:
[

My email to LCE:
Hello,

I purchased a 3RZ header appx. 18 months ago from you folks and I must
say that I am very pleased with the performance of it thus far. I
noticed just recently that my exhaust has developed a slight ticking
sound normally associated with an exhaust leak. Sure enough, I found
that my header has a crack right at the weld where the bead terminates
into the pipe at the o2 sensor flange. This vehicle is my normal daily
driver and I have put roughly 25K on the truck since the header
install. My daytime phone number is (***)-***-****. Please let me know
if I can provide any more information to help resolve this issue

Thank you for your time,
Phil

Response from LCE:
You should take it to your local welder and have him throw a bead on there.
Based on your pics that should take care of the leak. We can weld it here
but then you have downtime from removing shipping to us repairing and
shipping back. Unfortunately your out of warranty also. The quickest and
cheapest way to resolve that issue is a local welder. Thx, Dave

Those were the facts, now here's my :2cents:
To their credit, they were polite, got back to me within 24 hours, and did offer to repair it. This is the only issue that I have had with this header. It bolted up right, hasn't leaked at either of the flanges and freed up a little more power. However, I feel that a crack in that location is completely un-acceptable. It's not like o2 sensor weighs much or is under constant strain. The Downey header I ran for over 2 years was a real pile but the o2 sensor flange held up just fine. Sure I can take it to a welder, but I shouldn't have to. Its not the money, its the principal.

I know that when you start putting after market stuff on your rig you are taking a risk that things may or may not work perfectly, but in this case, it can be argued that this had no reason to fail, and we can't exactly chalk it up to improper installation either. Not saying that LCE should have overnighted me a new header, but they didn't exactly go out of their way.

The Long and short it:
Again, not trashing LCE, I just expected a little more from a company that places great emphasis on how happy customers are with the quality of their products and after-sale support.
I agree with them; that would take about 5min to repair.
wire wheel down to bare metal, grind a little to clean up the old weld and then reweld that little spot. All that can be done with the header still on the truck too.
contact local members who have welders ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Again, welding isn't an issue, I can do that myself. I'd rather not remove a bunch of the ceramic coating from the header, (which has managed to deflect mud, salt, sand and snow without any problems) and try to re-coat the repaired area with something that might not work as well. Perhaps a POR-15 product might work.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my original LCE header. Cracked around the O2 flange. Had my local guy weld it for me and LCE gave me a credit of $50 for the work (which cost me $125). Then, about a year later, the same header cracked the center cap inside the collector and blew it out. Called up LCE and they sent me a warranty replacement and I sent the other one back.

Somebody else here recently had the same problem with the O2 flange. Unfortunately now, it seems that this is beginning to be a common issue with their header. :(

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
I agree with them; that would take about 5min to repair.
wire wheel down to bare metal, grind a little to clean up the old weld and then reweld that little spot. All that can be done with the header still on the truck too.
contact local members who have welders ;)
The metal on the header is pretty thin, so you have to be careful when doing the work. Also, it really cant be done on the truck if you want to do it right. The weld should be run completely around the flange since it will eventually crack all the way around if you dont.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
The metal on the header is pretty thin, so you have to be careful when doing the work. Also, it really cant be done on the truck if you want to do it right. The weld should be run completely around the flange since it will eventually crack all the way around if you dont.
ah, that sucks...better go check mine now...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, think I've pulled the header six times so far, whats one more? :banghead: Also toying with the idea of capping it and welding in a generic 4-wire o2 sensor bung, thereby negating yet another 2 bolt flange in the exhaust system that can have a gasket crap out and leak.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me too. I just pulled the header and let my dad take it to his work since he hasn't got his new welder hooked up yet. He got one of the guys at work to tig it and it didn't cost me anything but a few days downtime. Better than waiting for shipping and all that other stuff.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Man- and i was seriously considering getting one of these lce's for my taco too- Hmm sounds like i will just stick with the stocker till it "needs" to go. G/L on the fix man- sucks about ur luck

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeah O2 sensor bung cracked on mine. And I took it off and had a local welding shop fix it. And LCE gave me an instore credit.

The Header is Stainless so with the coating off and using Stainless rods it shouldn't rust.

But now I am having problems with the collector leaking.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my original LCE header. Cracked around the O2 flange. Had my local guy weld it for me and LCE gave me a credit of $50 for the work (which cost me $125). Then, about a year later, the same header cracked the center cap inside the collector and blew it out. Called up LCE and they sent me a warranty replacement and I sent the other one back.

Somebody else here recently had the same problem with the O2 flange. Unfortunately now, it seems that this is beginning to be a common issue with their header. :(
Well, now the replacement header has cracked at the O2 sensor flange. So the problems continue....

I called LCE today and talked with John in sales. I'll be talking with him again on Tuesday to work out a resolution. It just sucks that they cant solve a simple issue.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Anytime you have headers, you going to deal with exhaust leaks & cracks. I dealt with those issues when I was racing my 1979 SR5 Corolla. They were Hooker Headers and from time to time, I needed to address leaks & cracks.:2cents:

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I have numerous cracks along the collector area, best that LCE said they can do for me is weld it up and send it back in mean time I would be vehicle-less as this is on my DD, nice to know what a 400$ header is worth. next time I think I will go back to the shitty pacesetter that kept breaking and was only 120 bucks.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Well, now the replacement header has cracked at the O2 sensor flange. So the problems continue....

I called LCE today and talked with John in sales. I'll be talking with him again on Tuesday to work out a resolution. It just sucks that they cant solve a simple issue.
I wonder where the stress is that is causing this failure. Something has to be putting pressure on that section for it to crack like that.
what have their tech guys said?

·
Registered
413 Posts
ok this might not help you in your predicament but I will say it anyways...

next time buy Doug Thorley. They arnet the best that there can be, but having run both an LCE header and now a DT tri-y on my 22re There isnt a big difference in craftsmanship. DT also ceramic coats some of the headers they sell, the ceramic one for the 22re is a lot cheaper than LCE. They would have been good in this instance because all their headers have a lifetime guarantee.

As for your LCE header, Im sorry to hear that the problem has come back on a replacement even! I would definitely talk with them and let them know how upset I was and try to get something out of them.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
next time buy Doug Thorley. They arnet the best that there can be, but having run both an LCE header and now a DT tri-y on my 22re There isnt a big difference in craftsmanship. DT also ceramic coats some of the headers they sell, the ceramic one for the 22re is a lot cheaper than LCE. They would have been good in this instance because all their headers have a lifetime guarantee.
Are they CARB legal for use in California?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
I wonder where the stress is that is causing this failure. Something has to be putting pressure on that section for it to crack like that.
what have their tech guys said?
Has to be heat related is my guess. I cant see any real stress on the part since its just holding an O2 sensor.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Has to be heat related is my guess. I cant see any real stress on the part since its just holding an O2 sensor.
what about flexing of the header? how is your exhaust piping attached? rubber donuts or something more solid? If heat is causing it then they need to find a different grade of steel for their pipes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are they CARB legal for use in California?
All Dough Thorley Headers are smog legal in california. The LCE Headers and DT headers are the only ones that are CARB legal. Downeys are smog legal too, but thats because they retail DT headers calling them Downey.

Flange thickness is identical as well. Only thing I didnt like about my DT header was the egr tubes on the flange arent really egr tubes they are like little recesses on the flange designed to let the egr function. The LCE actually had tiny bridging tubes welded in, though those werent the best either because there was slag splatter all along the inside and collected soot over time. I personally am not 100% on this info as it pertains to the 3rz, but I can say that Id recomend A DT over an LCE for a 22re for a few reasons, but mostly jsut because of the lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
413 Posts
what about flexing of the header? how is your exhaust piping attached? rubber donuts or something more solid? If heat is causing it then they need to find a different grade of steel for their pipes :rolleyes:
Thats probably more of the problem, flexing from the entire system right at the collector. looks lilte form the pics, that the lce headers put that bung right were it would cause that problem. Only problem is, thats the best place to put the o2 sensor. DT's is a little further down for the 88.5+ 22re's which use heated o2's and on the number 3 tube for earlier 22res without a heated sensor.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts