TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just outta curiousity, does any1 have a descent write up on installing a LCE 2.7 header? I'm going to be ordering mine in the next week or os and plan on installing it ove the holidays. I've never done an install such as this and was wondering how long it took and all that jazz. I'm sure I can do it myself, I've just never done it b4. I've done other major engine mods such as heads and what not, Just not on Toyota's. Any tips or install pics would kickass! Thanx guys, Wesley

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
wslytoy said:
Hey Guys, just outta curiousity, does any1 have a descent write up on installing a LCE 2.7 header? I'm going to be ordering mine in the next week or os and plan on installing it ove the holidays. I've never done an install such as this and was wondering how long it took and all that jazz. I'm sure I can do it myself, I've just never done it b4. I've done other major engine mods such as heads and what not, Just not on Toyota's. Any tips or install pics would kickass! Thanx guys, Wesley
have you checked the NE board for header install? one will be the same as another.

pick up a few extra stud bolts before you get started...I stripped 3 of them dudes ;)

After install, you'll need to drive to a muffler shop to have your exahaust connected as there is no such thing as a true 'bolt-right-up header out there.

the Haynes book has all you need for the job but check with Showstop, he's kind of a guru on that stuff ;)

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LCE install

hytenor said:
have you checked the NE board for header install? one will be the same as another.

pick up a few extra stud bolts before you get started...I stripped 3 of them dudes ;)

After install, you'll need to drive to a muffler shop to have your exahaust connected as there is no such thing as a true 'bolt-right-up header out there.

the Haynes book has all you need for the job but check with Showstop, he's kind of a guru on that stuff ;)
I didn't even think to look at the NE site, good idea, DUH, lol. I'll definitely pick up some extra stud bolts. Damn it, I get to drive a ricer around to the exhaust shop, lol. Yeah I'll definitely PM Showstop b4 I do it, he's always been pretty helpful, as have you. Thanx for the heads up. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
56 Posts
It was pretty much bolt on for a 95 2.7. Extra studs= yes!! Also a slip on cloth-foil like heat shield for your brake line. The header sits pretty close to the brake line. Some people carefully bend it back.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OBATDDSD said:
It was pretty much bolt on for a 95 2.7. Extra studs= yes!! Also a slip on cloth-foil like heat shield for your brake line. The header sits pretty close to the brake line. Some people carefully bend it back.

Hmmm, I'll take a looksy and if it's too much to bend I'll fab up some kinda heatshield. Thanx, Wes

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wes,

if you want to have the ability to easily remove the exhaust from the header go on JC Whitney and buy some exhaust flanges. This way you can unbolt the stuff instead of having to worry about welding.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
header flanges

akshunj said:
Wes,

if you want to have the ability to easily remove the exhaust from the header go on JC Whitney and buy some exhaust flanges. This way you can unbolt the stuff instead of having to worry about welding.
that's a pretty good idea. Do you know if they're size specific or are they pretty much just universal? Thanx, Wes

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
OBATDDSD said:
what did you use for the shield? any pics?

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
I took several pics of my install when I did that back in January, but didn't do a write-up or post them anywhere. I recommended to the guys at LCE to include the kits with the kit, but it doesn't sound like it happened. I went to AutoZone with my header and picked-up all the hardware I needed, then finished the install. I made sure I had all the gaskets and stuff I needed, just didn't expect to have to do that with the EGR and O2 sensor studs

·
Registered
279 Posts
wslytoy said:
that's a pretty good idea. Do you know if they're size specific or are they pretty much just universal? Thanx, Wes
Nope, just make sure the flanges are the same diameter as the header and exhaust pipe. Have them welded on, then bolt them together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
hytenor said:
what did you use for the shield? any pics?
Its a thermosleeve made by cool it thermo tec. thermotec.com It has a mylar finish thats suppost reflect 90% of heat. They also make a hook wrap around. Bought at Vic Hubbard in Hayward. First saw it the Eastwood catalog. Haven't installed it. Still have to install an egt guage and URD fuel mod kit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
wslytoy said:
Wes. Check with LCE first. The one I bought from them came with a 3 hole flange already welded at the collector with a o2 sensor holeand gasket. Mine was a 95 2.7.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
OBATDDSD said:
Its a thermosleeve made by cool it thermo tec. thermotec.com It has a mylar finish thats suppost reflect 90% of heat. They also make a hook wrap around. Bought at Vic Hubbard in Hayward. First saw it the Eastwood catalog. Haven't installed it. Still have to install an egt guage and URD fuel mod kit.
kewl, thanks

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
mudferret said:
My God you're creepy looking in costumes.:p
some creepy, some dorky and some just plain gay, LOL

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
tacodab said:
plasma cutter came today :):)
any words of advice
Weee! which one did you get??

hook up the air and set the psi per the book.
plug it in.
start playin' ;)

make yourself some 2"x whatever" x1/4" plywood as straightedges.
I also made myself some other jigs like one for 45s, etc. off-set is about 1/8" so when you make a pattern make it that much smaller than what you want the steel to be.

If you don't have a scroll saw, get one. Jigsaws are fine for large or not-so-detailed stuff.

·
Dean
2,585 Posts
hytenor said:
Weee! which one did you get??

hook up the air and set the psi per the book.
plug it in.
start playin' ;)

make yourself some 2"x whatever" x1/4" plywood as straightedges.
I also made myself some other jigs like one for 45s, etc. off-set is about 1/8" so when you make a pattern make it that much smaller than what you want the steel to be.

If you don't have a scroll saw, get one. Jigsaws are fine for large or not-so-detailed stuff.
I got the one you have :)
I think
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45030&item=3856513467&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
OK great idea for the jigs...I have lots of saws to play with....my bandsaw with a fine blade should do good.:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
cvajs
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing