TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a leaf on my 97 reg cab 4x4, stock DD. Not trying to improve anything, just trying to get this back on the road, if I get a little lift thats just a bonus. I have several offers of low mileage newer springs, but heard that they are longer. I don't mine moving my hangers to make them work. What are the differences between them? If they are longer, are they longer on both ends? Are they the same width and hardware? Will it matter what they come from reg/extra/dbl cab etc? Thanks, Ryan.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
which leaf did you break? if you broke the top one ( the one with the eyes in it) then you will probably want to find a shorter set to make your life easier. anything from 95-97 will fit on your truck. if you broke one of the shorter ones though then you can buy a set of leafs from a 98-04 and you can section them in to replace the broken one.... you might have to cut them down a little but they will work. i think that to move your hangers you have to redo both sets of hangers not just one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the top leaf that broke. The mounts look easy to relocate, so that won't be a problem. Is the hardware the same? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
123 Posts
did you ever get this fixed, we emailed once on CL about the springs, LMK if you still need them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made a clamp so I can get around on it, but still trying to find out what the differences are between the early and late springs. I've got several offers on newer springs, cheap, like $40-50, which is great, but not if its impossible to swap them. Guess I need to measure up a newer truck.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
PROJECTJUNKIE said:
trying to find out what the differences are between the early and late springs.

97 and earlier are shorter, its 98 or 97. I too have a set of the longer ones. if main broken, why not just have spring shop make new one if you cant find.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RH is broken, LH is sagged out pretty bad, Last time I took springs to a spring shop I got taken for a ride, so I'll go with used parts. The springs are longer, but is the width the same, and eye dia? If so I can use newer springs on my truck by moving my hangars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you get a replacement spring? If so, did you get rid of your broken pack? I have a 97 and just broke two of the smaller leafs on the driver side (I have a 4 leaf pack instead of three due to an add-a-leaf). If you haven't gotten rid of your broken pack I'll take it off your hands so I can salvage the smaller leafs. I'd compensate you for it if you want.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Did you get a replacement spring? If so, did you get rid of your broken pack? I have a 97 and just broke two of the smaller leafs on the driver side (I have a 4 leaf pack instead of three due to an add-a-leaf). If you haven't gotten rid of your broken pack I'll take it off your hands so I can salvage the smaller leafs. I'd compensate you for it if you want.
Oh, if you didn't break the main leaf and just need some of the others, i have several various leaf packs around that you can make work.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Oh, if you didn't break the main leaf and just need some of the others, i have several various leaf packs around that you can make work.
Good to see those are coming in handy for someone:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts