TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
atwinda. I was reading in your reviews about the fabtech basic install and you stated that you took the springs off without a spring compressor and you suggested to just unbolt the top plate slowly and point it away from you. I have to say that is very dangerous and I really dont think you should suggest ever trying that in any scenario, no spring compressor or not. Not trying to be rude, but you dont want some guy emailing you about your write up that is now blind from flying pieces off his truck even if you do have a disclaimer at the bottom. Really not trying to be rude, I just never thought that someone would actually try that lol. Great website, very informative. :)
Brian

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok, this is the tricky part: removing the top plate off the old coil overs. If you don't have a coil spring compressor, then it's kind of hard. Use two sets of wrenches (one to stop the rod from rotating, and the other to loosen the bolt) to loosen the top bolt. Once it starts to get close to the end of the threads, point that sucker away from you, and *carefully* and *slowly* undo the bolt. Parts go flying everywhere, so try and keep an eye on where it all goes. What you want is the top plate and the shims. They should have blown off in one piece.

If you reread it, he points out that a spring compressor is needed, I see where your coming from but he states that shit will fly if done the UNSAFE way.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ya, I can see that he does say what is going to happen, but it just seemed like it was condoning it as an effective way of disassembly. After reading it again I can see that even if you did read the write up looking for info for an install, you would probably know that it is unsafe.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It is possible to do it safely w/o a compressor, i just crank my coilover ring allllll the way down to the bottom and the spring loses it's tension and is safely able to be disassembled now. But.....that's just me lol don't take my advice for it, i odnt want to get sued lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
KStacoma said:
It is possible to do it safely w/o a compressor, i just crank my coilover ring allllll the way down to the bottom and the spring loses it's tension and is safely able to be disassembled now. But.....that's just me lol don't take my advice for it, i odnt want to get sued lol
What they are talking about, is in the write-up he says to remove the top plate from the stock coilover set-up without a spring compressor!! It cannot be stressed enough how dangerous this is because of the amount of pressure the spring has stored when the entire coilover system is assembled.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dyingyak said:
What they are talking about, is in the write-up he says to remove the top plate from the stock coilover set-up without a spring compressor!! It cannot be stressed enough how dangerous this is because of the amount of pressure the spring has stored when the entire coilover system is assembled.
The basic fabtech coilovers can safely be taken apart by adjusting them all the way down. that will take all the pressure off the spring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Read!

atwinda said:
The basic fabtech coilovers can safely be taken apart by adjusting them all the way down. that will take all the pressure off the spring.
I know this..I have SAWs, if you read my post I was referring to where you said you can remove the top plate off the stock coilover. I said nothing about the fabtech coilovers. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
OK I have removed the springs from the Fabteh CO's (perf.) and the spring is already de-compressed when you 'de-crank' them. I just finnished replacing the coils on a buddies truck with him. We put the new ones on without a problem. there is no danger in this...

am I missing something on Atwinda's?
Now if you were to do this on another type of CO, you could get hut becaue the srpings don't decompress entirely if you 'de-crank' them the whole way. to my knowleage. MAYBE 2.0 saws. but I am not sure.

EDIT: I am retarded tonight and missed the fact about the stock struts.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4xClover said:
Hmmm...might have to try that! Then again, my springs are still stock ('98 w/ 94k) and seriously inverted---might just be time to get new ones!!
If you try to desassembly your springs without a coil compressor IT IS dangerous, and you won't be able to get the new assembly together (that bit only works with the fabtech, and I believe saw coilovers).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
atwinda
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing