TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used a ball joint pusher to push out stuck leaf spring bolts? I don't want to drive to town but only other option for me is the angle grinder cutoff wheel.
Second, a buddy wants my old leaf packs. What'll be the easiest way for him to get the old bushings out?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ended up cutting the nuts off of mine and was able to drive the stud out of one while under the truck. The other side I had to cut both nut and head off to remove it. Then drive it out while on the ground. This was a lot easier than under the truck and in the hanger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nuts all come off. Bolts are seized. Tried a 500lb impact air gun, BFH, etc. I know most use torches and burn out the bushings but I REALLY don't want to deal with that stink.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nuts all come off. Bolts are seized. Tried a 500lb impact air gun, BFH, etc. I know most use torches and burn out the bushings but I REALLY don't want to deal with that stink.
Do you have a box end wrench that will fit it? If so you can link another on the open end and maybe add a cheater pipe to get enough steady torque to break it free.

It’s a long shot, but try to get some salt water in there. Not PB Blaster, but salt water. It’ll wick in further and often times wet the corrosion enough to break free. Mix some hot water and salt try that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first tried a box wrench and jacked the truck off the open end, left it sitting overnight.
It did nothing. I'm going to try the ball joint press, after that it's the angle grinder cut off, then the torch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the rear shackles the ball joint puller worked perfect. The bolts are pressed into one hanger, took 5 seconds to press them out. In the front the bolt shafts were seized, as usual, to the leafpack eyelet bushing and had the bolts had to be cut and the heads ground off.
Cutoff wheel and grinder wheel are the way to go. I see no reason to ever try to torch the rubber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts