TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best leaf spring to handle washboard terrains and whoops. I had a set of deavers because I heard they would work great, but they only gave me 1/2 inch of lift and I need at least 2. I know Dakars give 2.5 or so, but I hear they are too stiff. Allpro makes leafs that I hear are good, but I have not seen them used for anything other than rock crawling and trail riding. I am out of options here. I would go with Dakars hands down with the lift they give, but am scared they will be super stiff and not absord the the terrain I frequent.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought they only made add a leafs. Do you know how to get a hold of them? SO I assume they will work for what I am looking for. I guess I will discuss it with them.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I thought they only made add a leafs. Do you know how to get a hold of them? SO I assume they will work for what I am looking for. I guess I will discuss it with them.
alcan.com

I had their leafs on my 95runner and 92 p/u.. excellent quality.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sin city: I keep telling you how well these Dakars ride and I guess you still don't believe me. It is simple as pulling out the second OL spring. I am doing a Mojave desert trip tomorrow and will PM you on Sunday to let you know how they did in the washes. Check out the flex I am getting with the 10 inch bils also (small amount of mod required). Hell, I am even running 255/70 valving and it still rides good! You have to pay to play my friend, there is no magic bullet when it comes to suspension. Too stiff = buck board ride, Too soft = bottoming out, just right = a state of mind. If you can find just right, PM me and let me know what combo is the absolute best for DD duty and trail rig/rocks/desert running. There is always a compromise when you mod your truck. Gas, Grass, or Ass...nobody rides for free:D :2cents:

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Gas, Grass, or Ass" I like that. Well fuck it them I am going to order the Dakars because they don't have to be modified to do what I want them to do and I am real picky.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
"Gas, Grass, or Ass" I like that. Well fuck it them I am going to order the Dakars because they don't have to be modified to do what I want them to do and I am real picky.
I think you will be happy with them. Wish I had a vegas trip planned, you could drive my truck and see if you like them. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just ordered a set so this leaf spring questioning is over from me, lol. I hope I will be happy. I got them with the OME shocks too since I know they are longer than OEM. I know bilstein, donahoe, and SAW are all the same exact length as the OEM shock so I really don't see how they give you more travel. If they do give more travel it is up travel not down travel. And these trucks can not have more up travel because the bumpstop is there at the limit.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The way I got more droop is that I am using a 10.17 long Bil 5125 with eye/post adaptor. Check out my post regarding this install.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You get more droop, but now I bet your shock acts as the bumpstop. I just ordered the OME shocks assuming they are longer than OEM and are able to utilize the bumpstop. They better be for the amount of money they cost, lol.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yup, you would be right...but take a close look at the pic. I fabbed an extended bumpstop to eliminate this issue. Then read my post for all of the details.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that is an informative post. My question being is that for less money you could have just gotten the OME shocks, so why didn't you. Then you have a shock that is designed to work in conjunction with the spring.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I knew that I could get even more droop from the 5125 set up. It was a science experiment to see the max amount of droop that I could get from the Dakars without moving the upper shock mount. I have been fabbing stuff for years, so it was a fun little project. The OME's would have been a good shock also. We'll see how it performs in Mojave and I'll post up on Monday.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Experiment with tire pressures. I predict you'll really like the Dakars when you get your truck dialed in for off roading.

I'm running the full Dakar packs, OME shocks, and BFG T/A KMs. For the street, I discovered that 30 psi rear significantly softened up the ride and gave me a near perfect footprint. I reduced it to 28.5 psi and got a perfect footprint and a Cadillac-like, straight-ahead ride, but it was too wallowy for my taste in curves.

I've kept notes on MG's progress and it appears to me the Dakar system is near-infinitely adjustable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know if I would be down running that low of a tire pressure for street driving. I also have TPMS so if I go too low then that will be on.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't know if I would be down running that low of a tire pressure for street driving. I also have TPMS so if I go too low then that will be on.
On my 35's I run 18 rear and 22 front around town. Its stable and fine up to 70mph,and the tires do not get hot. It is more than psi, its weight rating and vehicle weight. My 285's require 24/22. Generally the larger the tire the less psi it takes to support the load.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What about your tire pressure sensors, do they wig out?
So far the 07 has OEM tires, and OEM pressures... so not yet. My first camping trip is next month so I will see what happens. I plan to drop all 4 to 18-20 range when I hit the dirt roads. The only thing I am not sure of is if reseting the TPMS will work with 4 @ 1 pressure and 1 @ a different pressure. So I may have to drop the spare as well. I want to keep the TMPS operational so that I know if I am getting a flat on the back roads, because the tell-tale signs aren't as aparent as they are on the pvmt. I have already thought about a hose that will get attached to the spare to bring its valve to the rear bumper for easy inflation/deflation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Never thought about that because I don't have it. Uniform tire wear is important to me on the street, especially with a softer compound tire. I always air for hot footprint and get maximum tread life. 33F/30R hits the sweet spot on the street for the way my truck's built/shod.

Each brand/style tire is different. Say....if I were running GoodYear MT/Rs with their stiffer sidewalls, I would probably drop another 2 psi. In the case of the 14/35/15LT Hawgs on my Bronco II that has near-perfect weight distribution, 24/26 is the right number for street and 18/22 gets me through sand and over rocks okay. They are extremely stiff.

I read something somewhere about disabling the TPMS....or maybe you can just ignore it. Just experiment with pressures. Like with NASCRAP....you'd be surprised at the difference just a pound or two of pressure can make. I read and don't respond to a lot of the poormouthing that goes on about this brand tire and that. Everything's going to be a compromise of some sort and you just have to tweak, try, tweak some more and try again....

You can achieve impossible results and get called a liar real easy if you work hard enough at it.

Good luck, wheel safe, and let us know what happens. You will like the Dakars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts