TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any1 ever had the centering "pin" shear? im runnin a pro comp add-a-leaf and u bolt flip kit, all parts were installed correctly, u-bolts were torqued, i cant see how this even happened considering i dont do much hard wheeling other than mashing around pismo. the axle slid back almost 2.5 inches, only thing inhibiting it from sliding farther was the way i have my shocks mounted, the shock became fully extended and limited it. im think it must be low grade hardware and i just got unlucky!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Sure the pin was tight and fit right? I had some that were absolutely fucked looking after less than a month- they were wrong size and I had to get on the road.
Just because 5/16" will go in a 3/8" hole don't mean it fits:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
ive also seen a few companies use POS bolts in their kits as well for center pins. as in pin was siezed in the leaf's and hitting it out with a hammer bent the bolt all up.... and then i could bend it in my hand. so yeah...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
gary briggs said:
any1 ever had the centering "pin" shear? im runnin a pro comp add-a-leaf and u bolt flip kit, all parts were installed correctly, u-bolts were torqued, i cant see how this even happened considering i dont do much hard wheeling other than mashing around pismo. the axle slid back almost 2.5 inches, only thing inhibiting it from sliding farther was the way i have my shocks mounted, the shock became fully extended and limited it. im think it must be low grade hardware and i just got unlucky!

Some of the speeds and washboard out at Pismo can be VERY punishing to the suspension...given that this pin IS what locates the axle front to rear...I can see that happening.... I've had several pins in my Sammi come out looking like twisted wreckage...due to axle wrap and having a degree shim...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Mr Tacomi said:
Some of the speeds and washboard out at Pismo can be VERY punishing to the suspension...given that this pin IS what locates the axle front to rear...I can see that happening.... I've had several pins in my Sammi come out looking like twisted wreckage...due to axle wrap and having a degree shim...
I would agree with the shim playing a role for sure- the more slop you got for the pin to bang around, the more likely you'll fuck it up. Seems like stock the pins fit pretty snug in the perch hole, and don't hear of them getting jacked up.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I had a center pin shear using pro comps add a leafs as well. The top section of the center pin was holding the top two leaves together and the bottom section of the pin shifted forward and was wedged in the remaining leaves below the top two.

The post about the proper fitting pins holds a lot of value. I also think torque has something to do with it as well. but what I mean by that is you need to make sure your spring perches remain tight. I think that is why my center pin broke when it did. The spring perch had come loose allowed the axle to somewhat slide back and forth against the center pin while it was still in place on the axle.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Nope... never!

Ubolts were tight, but the centering pin wasnt.
Ive also sheared a couple on the front springs. It happens, carry spares.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I feel like less of a dumbass everytime you two guys post up...
Ok, well at least in good company :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Good for me because at least I'm not the only one this shit is happening to.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Who the hell are you talking to now? maybe you should be catagorize in the same group as Dick. I can never tell who you are talking to without the quotes being used. :neener:

well maybe not, it is probably just me not understanding!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Maybe its because we use our rigs?
Probably more like because yall use your rigs and I don't know what the fuck I'm doing... god damn Bear and his senior moments ;)

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Bear said:
Who the hell are you talking to now? maybe you should be catagorize in the same group as Dick. I can never tell who you are talking to without the quotes being used. :neener:

well maybe not, it is probably just me not understanding!
I wasn't talking to you!!!!!

lol.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Paul said:
Is there anything wrong with running grade 8 bolts?
For centering pins? Probably not as long as you can get them to fit into your spring perch. I'd go with the Metric G10.5 allen head bolts over a hex head SAE bolt. The finer threads the better IMO. Use a lock nut and possibly red lock-tite to keep them snug.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm running the stockers that were in the chevy's I bought and they seem to be holding up just fine- especially compared to the damn 5/16 that was getting chewed up.

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
The stock chevy pin was too long for me since it was a 4 leaf + overload and I'm running 3 leafs with no overload.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
8 Participants
mojavegold
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing