work now and counting. can you lead me in the right direction as to
how to fix this? i still have to do the other side and fear the same
problem.
thanks.

brian

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Why were you trying to remove the leaf pack to install an AAL? To install AALs, all you need to do is put the truck on jack stants (from the frame) drop the axle. Anyway, guess that's not important at this point.

You can try a couple do different methods here. The first is to use an airhammer to try working the bolt out of the bushing. Not sure if this is going to do anything as you've already tried using a press.

The other option is to burn the bushing off with a torch. Don't expect them to melt easily though - the rubber thats used for these bushings is some tough stuff! You are obvoiusly going to need new bushings after this but it's pretty much a last resort option.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The best advice I could offer is try to heat it with a propane torch (not a cutting rig, a little single bottle propane like used in a lantern) and then hit it with cold water.

If that doesn't do anything, try using some stuff called CLP Break free or something like that. It's a penetrant (not WD-40) and it will loosen up the toughest bolts.

That's really odd that the bolt is frozen that bad. It should have broke free by now. I wouldn't heat the metal a whole lot by the way, it can weaken the steel if you get it close to red hot because it looses carbon. Just get it hold enough that it will sizzle pretty good when you hose it down with the water hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, the intructions it came with said to completely remove the leafs, then use c clamps and undo the bolt holding them together and slowly rake the clamps off the ake the retaining bolt n nut off to put the leafs between the overload and oem leaf pack. then bolt it all up and throw it back in. used penetrating fluids like pb blaster n such already. guess im going to have to stop by the truck place tommorow. see what they can do...i called several parts stores around here and none of them even stock the bushings. toyota tried selling me brand new leaf springs- they said they didnt do leaf work there and got them preassembled, or a shackle set up, which doesn help beeing that the bushing is locked up and i cant get it out. i guess ill have to look around local junkyards and see if i can find a set with the bushing still in them. the press we have at work is a 5 ton press, but i can maybe find a machine shop that has some kind of heavy duty hydrolic press. thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
brian5474 said:
yea, the intructions it came with said to completely remove the leafs, then use c clamps and undo the bolt holding them together and slowly rake the clamps off the ake the retaining bolt n nut off to put the leafs between the overload and oem leaf pack. then bolt it all up and throw it back in. used penetrating fluids like pb blaster n such already. guess im going to have to stop by the truck place tommorow. see what they can do...i called several parts stores around here and none of them even stock the bushings. toyota tried selling me brand new leaf springs- they said they didnt do leaf work there and got them preassembled, or a shackle set up, which doesn help beeing that the bushing is locked up and i cant get it out. i guess ill have to look around local junkyards and see if i can find a set with the bushing still in them. the press we have at work is a 5 ton press, but i can maybe find a machine shop that has some kind of heavy duty hydrolic press. thanks for the input guys.
Did you get different instructions than these?
http://www.toyteclifts.com/PDFfiles/ADD-A-LEAF INSTRUCTIONS2 0.pdf

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
burn it and get new bushings. we cut mine off w a grinder and were able to punch out what was left wo too much trouble w the aid of some heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts