TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever gotten their springs re-arched? If so, how much did you pay for it? Also, would the springs be like new as far as sagging goes, or would they sag more quickly than stock springs? The reason I am asking is that I was thinking about getting new shackles and ditching my block in the rear, and I know that longer shackles make the springs sag faster.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
drinkintedbr said:
Has anyone ever gotten their springs re-arched? If so, how much did you pay for it? Also, would the springs be like new as far as sagging goes, or would they sag more quickly than stock springs? The reason I am asking is that I was thinking about getting new shackles and ditching my block in the rear, and I know that longer shackles make the springs sag faster.

Thanks
It's not like your springs are going to be dead in a month if you run shackles. A year or more is more likely. Also it depends on how much you beat them up. Last time I heard $200 was the price for a rearch... That was probably including labor to remove them from the truck, so if you could do that bit yourself, you'd save some cash.

·
Registered
612 Posts
drinkintedbr said:

Thanks
A guy at work had his re-arched, but the kid running the machine installed them in the arching machine backwards and the truck rode so low that the tires were rubbing on the wheel wells. Needless to say the owner of the vehicle was not happy.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had the springs on my old '86 re arched, it was a lot cheaper than new springs at the time but I don't remember the exact bill because my brother worked out a deal on them! The company that did mine did a really good job

with the friction pads and some other tricks the shop did they corrected the ride height (I had a heavy topper and full carpet kit, I put over 100K on them after the re-arch) as well they flexed better and rode smoother and quieter...I added Hellwig 550 helper springs as well that I could take off really easy when 4 wheeling because all the extra weight came off then too!

If you go to a quality shop that will cold forge the leaf it will keep its shape longer after re arching...however there are some shops that just reshape the leaf (likely by heat) with out the proper steps and will weaken the spring so bad that it will be ruined!

these days new leaf spring(ie Deavers, Alcan, OME...etc) sets are getting cheap enough that it might be worth it to just buy a new set!

BTW if you have them re arched you can have them indexed to match the new shackle length and allow them to keep there shape longer and flex properly to take advantage of the new geometry!

·
Registered
878 Posts
97TacoDude said:
A guy at work had his re-arched, but the kid running the machine installed them in the arching machine backwards and the truck rode so low that the tires were rubbing on the wheel wells. Needless to say the owner of the vehicle was not happy.
if there was a machine being used that was directional it was likely being used for changing the spring rate and not the actual re arching process... parabolic re-arching is a whole bunch of steps in metallurgy not just a tweak on a machine like a tube bender!!

it sound like a poorly manufacture leaf spring in the first place than an actual shop F'k Up ...that is a risk of the process you find out that one of your leafs or multiple leafs were not right in the first place!

·
Registered
612 Posts
bluetaco said:
if there was a machine being used that was directional it was likely being used for changing the spring rate and not the actual re arching process... parabolic re-arching is a whole bunch of steps in metallurgy not just a tweak on a machine like a tube bender!!

it sound like a poorly manufacture leaf spring in the first place than an actual shop F'k Up ...that is a risk of the process you find out that one of your leafs or multiple leafs were not right in the first place!
The best I can figure is that the kid put the leafs in the machine upside-down and actually reversed them...turned them "inside out" which caused the truck to ride so low that is was barely driveable because of the tire rubbings.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i had mine re-arched for around $50.of course i removed them from the truck first.ive done mine around 3 times at least.but i wheel like a mofo and have too much axel wrap, so my springs dont last long.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
drinkintedbr said:

Thanks
just re-arching your OE springs will last a while. If you are looking for extra lift it is best to have a 4th leaf added as well as having the re-arched. doing this will give you up to 3" lift that will last a long time for a lot less than custom leafpks.
A local shop here does OE Taco springs with a 4th leaf of exactly the same spring material and re-arch for $286 (springs off truck)

I just had my nwor pks re-arched after 2 1/2 years of hard abuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts