TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got downey shackles and fagtech aal on pretty worn springs

Im usually carrying extra weight plus shell. It seems like I have almost zero lift anymore. Also the aal from fagtech have always bugged the sheet out of me everytime the wd40 wears off and they start to squeek like an old ford. I was gonna take off aal and put in some anti squeek pads I acquired

but now I just bought a set of trd (if that matters(what's the difference)from an o4 double cab trd to go on my 00' x cab non trd(already told by board they would fit) Im wondering about combining spring packs and overload leaf? and what about the spring clips are there aftermarket ones? the ones on there are theyt removable do they go back on if I take them off?

Help

thanks in advance

Scott

norcal 925 340-1914

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Scootn2nature said:

Im usually carrying extra weight plus shell. It seems like I have almost zero lift anymore. Also the aal from fagtech have always bugged the sheet out of me everytime the wd40 wears off and they start to squeek like an old ford. I was gonna take off aal and put in some anti squeek pads I acquired

but now I just bought a set of trd (if that matters(what's the difference)from an o4 double cab trd to go on my 00' x cab non trd(already told by board they would fit) Im wondering about combining spring packs and overload leaf? and what about the spring clips are there aftermarket ones? the ones on there are theyt removable do they go back on if I take them off?
check out Atwinda's 'leafspring rebuild' in the cheap tricks folder. that might be a cheap way to get you what you want. He added a leaf from a spare OE leafpk to his current leafpk like you proposed.

If you carry a lot of extra weight you will eventually want to go with heavier aftermarket leafpks but his idea may work out fine for you.

the spring clips are available from Downey (Rancho brand) but you might call a local spring shop about some better quality ones that would be welded on. There's a spring mfg in San Leandro, I think, but just check your yellow pgs under 'springs'.

no difference in the TRD springs to non-trds. the '04s are a direct bolt-in application for your '00. Getting the old bushing out will be the toughest part.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
just keep adding leaves,thats what im doing.
or you can go to the spring shop and have them re-arched.:eek:

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
KRYPTO(dale) said:
just keep adding leaves,thats what im doing.
or you can go to the spring shop and have them re-arched.:eek:
how many leaves are you up to now? what did you use?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done anything with the new pack and the aal is on my truck now
Looking at the new pack the second leaf is longer than on my truck the eend of the spring is severaal inches closer to front spring perch (where the wrap begins on 1st spring. Still Haven't put my fog lights in either

Scott

925 340-1914

·
Registered
472 Posts
i just combined 2 leaf packs with a downey aal and a procomp aal minus the long leaf from the additional pack. so 7 or 8 leafs total. I have 3" of lift, holds the camper shell, all my tools for work and some with no sag, stands tout and absolutely no axle wrap. Definately happy with the results doing it this way cause i made it to what i needed it for. Good luck and its super easy.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
J-Man said:
i just combined 2 leaf packs with a downey aal and a procomp aal minus the long leaf from the additional pack. so 7 or 8 leafs total. I have 3" of lift, holds the camper shell, all my tools for work and some with no sag, stands tout and absolutely no axle wrap. Definately happy with the results doing it this way cause i made it to what i needed it for. Good luck and its super easy.
how is the ride and flex?

·
Registered
472 Posts
the ride has stiffened up some, but i like that the truck dosent sway and move all over the road like it did before. You can also just add howmany leafs you want to as well. Depends on what your carrying. double cab or ex cab? Flex has stiffened up as well, but no probs thus far. still does whatever the hell i want it to.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Those with the 63" chevy rears...

...can someone take a few measurements: 1) center pin to each end(along the arch, 2) center of front mount to center of rear mount, 3) lastly the width.

I was hoping to use some of my tax return and get a set of the Deaver LT rear springs but, all the funds are getting pulled towards bills and other stuff that's more of a priority. ARGH!!! So, now, I need to look at something that's a bit less.

Thanks!

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Scootn2nature said:

Just flip the overload and you'll be good to go. :D :D

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
Just flip the overload and you'll be good to go. :D :D
you are so evil, LOL

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Found answer to own question

After a bit of searching on Pirate, the Center pin is centered on the chevy rear springs. 31.5" on each end. I should be able to use these without having to do too much modification other than drilling a new hole on the spring perch about 1" back.

I read mixed reviews on doing this and if anyone does drill a hole on the spring perch max should be 1". Anyone on here do this or purchase any adjustment shims?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Oppositeboy said:
it works..... kinda. ;)
well, yea, until you load up the bed and snap off the leaves...but until then it works for a cheap lift :p 'course it does kinda limit 'stuff' but what the hey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts