TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see if 3.5 inch lift springs for a YJ would work for the SAS for a 98 Tacoma. Most are using the Rancho44044's but a friend has these for cheap.

Thanks for the help

Hutch

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hutch98 said:
Checking to see if 3.5 inch lift springs for a YJ would work for the SAS for a 98 Tacoma. Most are using the Rancho44044's but a friend has these for cheap.

Thanks for the help

Hutch
you can use any leaf spring you want. ;) Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hutch98 said:

Thanks for the help

Hutch

my buddy runs them on his tacoma, it sits a little high, he clears 38.5x16x15" TSL's easily with a chevy 350 up front. they do well on the trail though.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
you post has me wondering

PappaF2 said:
you can use any leaf spring you want. ;) Let us know how it turns out.
this quote has had me thinking over the last few days. This statement is very true. With a little fab work and welding you could use any type of spring you wanted.

With that said, Does anyone know of year model Ford made springs 60-65" long? I am thinking that Ford probably used metal for their springs a bit thinner than chevy thus, I would guess would provide more "flexibilty". Plus I tend to remember Ford using more individual leafs than Chevy which would mean more options when removing more or less of the leafs.

I realize I could be full of crap with this theory, but I am wanting to investigate it, just don't know what year models to be looking at for donor parts
:confused:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Bear said:
this quote has had me thinking over the last few days. This statement is very true. With a little fab work and welding you could use any type of spring you wanted.

With that said, Does anyone know of year model Ford made springs 60-65" long? I am thinking that Ford probably used metal for their springs a bit thinner than chevy thus, I would guess would provide more "flexibilty". Plus I tend to remember Ford using more individual leafs than Chevy which would mean more options when removing more or less of the leafs.

I realize I could be full of crap with this theory, but I am wanting to investigate it, just don't know what year models to be looking at for donor parts
:confused:
Gotta try something new! i say go for it, just got some research to do now

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Gotta try something new! i say go for it, just got some research to do now

Hey Corey! not really wanting to do it "just to be different" but rather wanting to do it because of a "different way of thinking" not sure that made sense, but when has that ever stopped me before.

I was also hoping someone with more Ford Knowledge than I have would have the answer off the top of their heads to try and "curve" some of that needed research.

To you, does my previous train of thought sound solid? I mean isn't the Ford leaf packs larger (in number of individual leafs) because they have thinner leafs in general, thus needing more of them for the same amount of strength? or am I way off base with that thought?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Bear I think you right on track with this. I think I may go over to the pirate's ford section and see what I can dig up latter. I like this idea cause I have seen some 63" chevys bend and stuff. I think the more leafs the less chance of bending them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts