TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about to order some new leaf springs and was wanting to know if there is any plus side to getting 4 leaf pack compared to getting the stock 3 leaf pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
97yoda said:
So I am about to order some new leaf springs and was wanting to know if there is any plus side to getting 4 leaf pack compared to getting the stock 3 leaf pack.
What are you going to use them for??? Most guys here are running 7 leaves and up...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just replaceing my old stock ones they have a negitive arch to them and my rear end is sagging a little bit. As for what I am going to do with them I just do some light wheeling nothing to crazy it's my dd so I don't want anything to extreme.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,071 Posts
If the front is or will be lifted 1.5-2.5 inches get a set of stock replacement springs from an 89-95 pre-taco..They make great replacements for the 95-97 Taco's and will give between 1.5 and 2.5" of lift in the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
i got 8-leaf deavers but going up to 9 to handle the extra weight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
recently I replaced the stock 3-leaf with a 4-leaf on my 96 regular cab 4x4 for the same reason. it raised the back 1-1.5 inches from stock, I think, but tough to say since I'm comparing the sag before and new leafs afterwards. the ride is stiff and speed bumbs are the worst without anything in the back. with a camper on the back it should be ok but for now I'm driving around with 3-50lbs bags of gravel to help it 'settle.' the ride seems normal with the extra weight. don't want to put a coil spacers on the front but may have to. yes, i'm a newbie...thanks in advance for any flame
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
97yoda said:
I am just replaceing my old stock ones they have a negitive arch to them and my rear end is sagging a little bit. As for what I am going to do with them I just do some light wheeling nothing to crazy it's my dd so I don't want anything to extreme.
cheap route: got a spring shop near you? check your yellow pgs under 'spring'
get them re-arched and have them add another leaf if you need more load capacity.
but...early Taco springs have a bad rep so it might be better just to replace them. If you do have a local shop they can make a set to your needs for about what you'd pay ordering them...or less.
:2cents:
 

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
Joined
·
12,202 Posts
If you have some quality shocks back there, it'll smooth out the ride a lot. I stepped up and bought some 5150 shocks for the rear. What a difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
NorcalPR said:
If you have some quality shocks back there, it'll smooth out the ride a lot. I stepped up and bought some 5150 shocks for the rear. What a difference
You better be right or i'm comin for ya :p Getting my stuff tomorrow so we will see how it goes :D
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
5vzfe said:
You better be right or i'm comin for ya :p Getting my stuff tomorrow so we will see how it goes :D
just adding top quality and lighter-valved rear shocks will soften the entire ride big time. ;)
 

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
Joined
·
12,202 Posts
What's great about the 5150 is the crossflow resivor. It can be harsh and soft, all depends what ya need.

I also notice that it stabilizes the truck pretty well after comming off a drop or a rock...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
I have been looking at rear shocks for my 07. Not becuase I dislike the stock ride, but becuase stock shocks are always the limiting factor on the rear. The $$ donoahoes only offer 1" extra travel. How much do the bills or OMEs offer?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
yesmkay said:
I got them from JcWhitney.com but when I ordered them this passed summer, there was a 4-leaf option for the same price......probably a generic set but accomplishes what I wanted
they are here
those are only for the gen1 Tacos, '95.5-97 and are simple replacement springs....no lift. good price though but I wonder who makes them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
ah64id said:
I have been looking at rear shocks for my 07. Not becuase I dislike the stock ride, but becuase stock shocks are always the limiting factor on the rear. The $$ donoahoes only offer 1" extra travel. How much do the bills or OMEs offer?
depends on what length travel you buy, i have 12' short body resevoirs(01-04) and they are just fine, cycle your rear suspension and find the collapsed/extended length to get it really dialed in...
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top