TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98' 3.4 4wd and have a paper-tear sound coming from the exhaust manifold at higher rpms. Its noticable during freeway driving mostly. I know air is leaking somewhere and i was wondering if this same thing has occured with anyone else. Are the Exhaust Flange s known to go out easy. I highly doubt i have a hole in the metal. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Does it do it at operating temp only or even when you first crank up the truck? I know some people with the 2.7 have had issues with manifolds cracking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does it even when i first crank it up but it actually might not be as bad. Ive had thick mud caked on the exhaust manifold for like 3-4 years now if that has something to do with it.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
i dont see how there could be a leak if its caked with mud, cuz mud is the ultimate "natural" exhaust gasket LOL, check around the flanges for leaks first, another possibility is a flange bolt could have possibly been sheared somehow

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok now what is the best way to check for a leak is there some kind of procedure with water to check for bubbles or something, because i cant really hear where its coming from. I will check the bolts tho, thanks.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
yeah do the water test but do it when its cold, so u dont have steam and crap going in ur face, might wanna do it around the header gaskets as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts