TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed what appears to be gear oil leaking from under the rear diff. area with the recent snowfall. Light brown color, in the center under the pumkin. Small amounts. I'm taking it in to my friend's shop in the AM. Maybe a seal?. 2000 2.7 5 sp. Xtra cab. 45k. miles. Is this common?. I'd hate to fry the rear. Any advice? Thanks

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
could be as simple as tightening the diff drain or fill plugs. check that first.. could be as worse as a 3rd member seal. Just look closely and find the source of the oil.

edit: If you are seriously worried about toasting the rear end, just change the fluid.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard of a breather of some type?. I'm not an auto mechanic, (yeah we know!) It's just tough for me to check it now myself because everything underneath is wet and dripping cause of snow. I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Do you park on cement? Well if you dont just put a polished piece of metal underthe axle overnight and see how much is there over mabye 6pm to 8am or something. My prior 90 yota had a leaky seal. Very slowly but I had to replce it before they (parents) would let me putit on their insurance. The worst part was the drum brakes. :eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the leak is at the 3rd member seal, jack the front of the truck up high (or drain the pumpkin), clean ALL the oil off with soap/water and try sealing it from the outside with FIPG. Total redneck maneuver, but it'll get you by (if it works) until spring/summer. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts