TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the typical fix? R&R the whole thing with a rebuild unit or just replace the boot? What say ye Taco owners?

'04 Taco w/250k miles

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
So what's the typical fix? R&R the whole thing with a rebuild unit or just replace the boot? What say ye Taco owners?

'04 Taco w/250k miles
Did you get a new vehicle Ted?
Most axles from the parts store nowadays come with a lifetime warranty. That might justify replacing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the boot on my CV and can't get the clamps tight enough, it still spits some grease out. I even bought the right clamp tool.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you get a new vehicle Ted?
Most axles from the parts store nowadays come with a lifetime warranty. That might justify replacing it.
No, Ben's DC Taco... Yeah, he and I were just discussing it and that's what we're going to do. Depending on the core charge may just keep the original and re-boot it later and keep for a spare.

I replaced the boot on my CV and can't get the clamps tight enough, it still spits some grease out. I even bought the right clamp tool.
Discussed that too and knowing our low banana mechanical skills we'd end up wishing we'd replaced the whole darn thing while we were in there if we went boot only route.

Thanks for the input guys!! And welcome to the Forum Sandman, good first post!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I bought 1 Napa so I now have 3. One spare always. I just reboot as soon as it tears and always have the spare on the bench or ready to go. I figure if I catch it quick the bearing damage will be minimal.

As for boot clamps I just use a needle nose to "latch" the tabs and use a nipper or nail puller on the section that gets crimped for the final tightening.

Who here needs to work on there hand strength?:p JK

I have had problems on the outer boot clamp and leaking grease. Why are there 2 different style clamps:confused:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Messy job, can do mine in about an hour, did one a couple of months ago on one of my spares. Once you do it it's a piece of cake the next time around. I only change boots on my spares though, it's easier just to swap out the whole unit to minimize down time.

Both boots: Part# 04438-04021 ~$32 (comes with 4 clamps, 2 packets of grease, new c-clips)
Just inboard boot: Part# 04438-04011 ~$22

I got all the tools you need if you need them, I'd even do the work for ya if you were down this way! You'll need snap ring pliers for the c-clips, ear type cv clamp pliers for some of the clamps and earless type clamp pliers for the other clamps. Don't ask me why Toyota chose to do both!

Edit: And oh yeah, don't let the tulip bearings fall off, it's a b*tch to get those needles back in, ask me how I know!!!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Can't getem tight enough? Consider some Norma 304 stainless hose clamps since they are adjustable.

Link

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Thad, figerd you'd have some good info!! Looks like Ben and I have a play date Sat

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it changed out Fri night.. went really well and much easier than I expected. Thanks for all the tips about boot replacement and such.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i just let it leak lol. chances are, it will get snapped anyways before it seizes up from no grease.

downside of that is now i have axle grease all over the place underneath

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just let it leak lol. chances are, it will get snapped anyways before it seizes up from no grease.

downside of that is now i have axle grease all over the place underneath
Gonna lock you up for truck abuse! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts