TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 tacoma, and before my SAS, my rear u-joint on the drive shaft went out for the second time, but I had to drive on it for a few days. Since then, my truck has consistently been leaking oil. I know that vibration can ruin gaskets, and if there is a gasket between the transfer case and the transmission, then that's probably the culprit. The only weird thing is that the leak is ridiculous, then entire transmission, transmission crossmember, and transfer case are coated in oil, and due to driving on the interstate, the wind has caused the oil to spread to the rear axle, etc. There is even oil on top of the transmission (!) Has anyone had this problem, and is there a gasket between the transmission and transfer case. I know that Heeps don't have any gasket between the transfer case and the transmission, but that's not saying much. Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
supahonkey said:
I have an 02 tacoma, and before my SAS, my rear u-joint on the drive shaft went out for the second time, but I had to drive on it for a few days. Since then, my truck has consistently been leaking oil. I know that vibration can ruin gaskets, and if there is a gasket between the transfer case and the transmission, then that's probably the culprit. The only weird thing is that the leak is ridiculous, then entire transmission, transmission crossmember, and transfer case are coated in oil, and due to driving on the interstate, the wind has caused the oil to spread to the rear axle, etc. There is even oil on top of the transmission (!) Has anyone had this problem, and is there a gasket between the transmission and transfer case. I know that Heeps don't have any gasket between the transfer case and the transmission, but that's not saying much. Anyway, thanks.
There is a seal on the input and output shafts of the transfer case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I actually had this very same problem and fixed it about 1 week ago. I figured that when i roasted my first clutch, when the clutch was slipping then it caught it must have jerked the seals look between the xfercase and tranny. So i pulled them apart and sure enough the mating seals in between the tranny and xfer case were busted. It is supposed to be dry in between the tcase and tanny and oil should just transfer through a shaft in between the two. I had the same problems though of the oil getting everywhere, rear axel, etc. I am sorry but i dont have the part numbers, but just go to toyota and get them to pull the scmatics page and it is the only two seals between the two. It will take about 2-3 days for them to get them(What i was told here in VA).
Hope this helped and good luck, parts are about 10 bucks a seal

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts