TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I just noticed some grease build up on my CV's. right where the rubber boot meets the axle.....

it's only on the passangers side though and I wiped it away. there wasn't even a lot about as much as the amount of toothpaste you would put on your toothbrush.

anyways....my questions are A. am I ok? I know obviously it can't be a good thing but with the minimul amount that is coming out is it something I should be extremely concerned about. and B. whats the consequence of this leaky CV. what happens to my truck when my cv's are leaking (so I know what to look for).

thanks in advance
-Spence

·
Registered
369 Posts
Check your boot on that side you most likely have a rip or a worn spot in it. I have one on my truck that did the same thing I have manual hubs and I forgot to unlock them one day after playing in the mud and messed one of mine up.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have seen them seep a little lube at that point; no big deal as long as it's just a little seep. However, like suggested, check the boot real good for any for any damage. This lube will not leak out through a small oriface, it is some incredible stuff. I had a torn boot for the last month; I had the replacment cv axle on hand but no time to change it. So after driving 75 miles a day in rainy weather for a month, on dirt roads, I expected it to be a scored up mess inside when I finally replaced it. I found that even with the boot completly ripped open there was still a large amount of lube in the joint. I tore it down, cleaned and inspected the joint and bearings and found no damage what so ever, not even a scratch. I am going to replace the boot with a high angle boot and keep it for a spare.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just make sure you get high angle boots when you have them done. I just found out the hard way by having a new boot rip in less than 500 miles. Back to the shop for high angle boots. I only have the OME 881 coils as well so it wasn't that much angle on the boot. But I guess enough.

Dan

·
Registered
983 Posts
I managed to get 60k miles on my stock boots by cleaning the mud off of them after each adventure..................but will go with high angle boots next.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bassmaster said:
Just make sure you get high angle boots when you have them done. I just found out the hard way by having a new boot rip in less than 500 miles. Back to the shop for high angle boots. I only have the OME 881 coils as well so it wasn't that much angle on the boot. But I guess enough.

Dan
well - what the heck- I went with the 881s to try and avoid CV problems - They only give around 1.5" right? geez thats nothing....toyota has to stop making crappy and weak front ends.

man - my truck is a daily driver too...I better not be having cv problems every 500 miles
:mad:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Who sells these high angle boots my truck is a 95.5 tacoma I believe with the factory boots still on it. I was fine until I ran 80 on the interstate with the hubs locked in plus 8.5" of suspension lift didnt help. I'm glad I don't have auto hubs.

·
Registered
85 Posts
CV boots

Well Spence, what happens is every time you turn it'll squirt/seep more out till you eventually don't have enough and the joint starts wearing (prematurley). Just replace the boots/grease before this happens and you'll get many more miles out of em. It's not that hard to do. If your not familiar with how to do it, I have a write up HERE (it's posted on several individual TTORA State sites as well but this links to where it was originally writtten for) on how to do it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Back in 1995'ish when Tacos were invented, we saw broken CV Boots on virgin rigs with 2500 original miles. Problem is the OE Boots are a thin thermoplastic hytrel material that dries out, then cracks prematurely. Downey has always offered the thicker softer polyurethane boots made by Empi. We don't know of a high angle Boot though. If you do, please enlighten me?????

·
Registered
757 Posts
Back in 1995'ish when Tacos were invented, we saw broken CV Boots on virgin rigs with 2500 original miles. Problem is the OE Boots are a thin thermoplastic hytrel material that dries out, then cracks prematurely. Downey has always offered the thicker softer polyurethane boots made by Empi. We don't know of a high angle Boot though. If you do, please enlighten me?????
Who is "WE"?

·
Registered
236 Posts
high angle boots are made by CV Unlimited. I think Downey calls their high angle. and Off road solutions make some too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts