TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for this and no one seems to have an answer. I have replaced my passenger outer front Diff seal and after 200 miles of hard 4x4 no leak. Now I have recently discovered that it is leaking again. When I initially replaced the seal. I did notice a deep gouge on the sealing face (5 o'clock position). I believe that this occurred from the factory since this was very rusty and could not have occurred during my pulling of the seal. When I put the new seal in I put oil resistant rtv around the outer face. My questions are the following.

-should I buy a new extension tube for the front diff to ensure that it is not leaking where that gouge is or just slap new seals in with more RTV?
-On the 05+ Tacoma what is the correct depth to insert the passenger outer front diff seal? The manual does not specify this. I made the outer surface flush with the inner lip it's about .125" in from the outer edge.
-I also heard that with the newer Tacoma it is common to have leaky diff seals due to tolerance issues at the factory and since I don't just drive on road.

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
The RTV should have sealed up the imperfections on the flange. This is a common way to seal these surfaces. I wouldn't assume the leak is from this area. The outside lip should be flush to the outer edge of the housing. So that was also done correctly.

Did you grease the lip of the seal before you installed the CV axle. Maybe the spring popped off during installation?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts