TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a cool modification I came up with while trying to solve a problem.

My problem was what to do with the signal lights once I go to a tube bumper. I wanted to keep them from getting rock rash, and did not want it to look like an afterthought (even though is really was.)

Turns out (pun intended:) ) that there is a square recess just behind the filler panel under the H/L of the 03 taco (proabaly for 01-04's).

So, if you have 20 bucks and 2 hours, NAPA sells these LED trailer clearance lights in orange and red (remember to also get some pigtails and 2-way weather proof connectors), and if you grind away enough plastic, carefully locate and cut out a hole in the panel:saw: , then silicone your modified light in place from the back of the panel, solder on a weatherproof two way connector.... you can then reinstall the panel with a very stealth and clean looking signal light.

Be warned that your electrical system with think that there is a burned out bulb and this will cause your signals to flash at twice the speed of normal. You can then go the extra mile and solder in a resistor to get stock flashing speed, or leave it fast as a "collateral modification" - I left mine to blink fast.

Anyway, this mod was too cool to keep for myself - I'd love to see it done more, AND see where your imagination can take it to as well.:)

see pics at http://photobucket.com/packrat_evolution
listed as LED signal mod 1, 2, &3

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Cool! Yeah that's exactly what we did to Troy's custom tube bumper as well... It works really well! We soldered in the resistor too which was nice - getting rid of that double flicker!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
This is a cool idea, but honestly a cheaper and easier idea to consider is to drill a hole in behind the corner lights, notch it with a dremel, then pop the whole assembly in there with an amber bulb.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the 'ol "turn-signals-in-parking-light-trick" That's definately the easiest way to go. Although, my plans included being able to drive "quasi" legally without fenders, so I located my signals to be independant of them. I won't have front marker lamps, but at least I'll have signals.
Oh, and I decided not to put in the resistors since my signals flash fast when I take the besides off anyway (cause I lose those lights too), so I just let 'em flash fast all the time.
And Ike, bumper is Lookin' good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts