TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is trick is for putting LED lights in your side mirrors that flash with your turn signals.

What You Need:
* LED's- I got a pack of 20 assorted colors and sizes for $3 @ RadioShack (I used the 2 red 5mm)
* 2 Resistors-I used two 470 ohm 1/2W resistors, @ RadioShack for $.99 for 5
* 2 Wires

Instillation
* First remove both mirrors from your truck. This can be done by removing the black plastic triangle piece on the inside of the door and removing the 3 bolts that hold the mirror in.
* Unscrew the 3 screws on the bottom of the mirror.
* Carefully pry the "rim" off from around the mirror. (NOTE: Be careful not to put pressure on the glass, these break very easily. I found out the hard way :doh: ) There are about 6-8 clips that snap in place and hold the rim on. And remove the plastic piece that covers mirror post and spring assembly.
* Once you have the rim and the glass off, mark the plastic where you want to put the LED's, then drill the hole (for 5mm I used a 3/16 bit for a tight fit)
* Now wire the LED's together + to - (On a LED the longest post is + and the shortest is -)
* Now that the two lights are wired parallel, solder the resistor to the (-) side of your light string, then solder your ground wire to the other end of the resistor.
* Next connect your (+) wire to the (+) side of your light string and push the LED's through the holes that you drilled.
* Run both wires underneath the grid on the inside of the plastic housing that supports the mirror and out through the drain hole next to where the middle screw goes in.
* Leave a little slack in the wire so when you move the mirror, the LED does not pull out. I also notched the cover for the post assembly and ran the wires through that and then through the middle hole on the door.
* Next pop the door panel off and run the wires through the rubber grommet that houses your doors wires.
* Next remove the steering column and splice each mirror according to each turn signal. (Or you can just cut the wires that go directly to the turn signal light and splice you LEDs in there) and ground your (-) wire.

Variations
* You could take some of the very bright LEDs and mount an array of white lights on the bottom of the mirror and wire them to a switch to function as rock lights or courtesy lights.

NOTES
Depending on how many LED's you plan of using, the size of the resistor will vary. Use this site determine how many and what size resistors you need.

I know it's a bit :blingb: but if you use your signals it will let the dumb ass riding in your blind spot know your coming over. Don't burn me too bad either, this is my first post.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
No flaming; it definitely qualifies as a cheap trick. Mounting should be easier behind power mirrors, grounding, and running the + wire back along the servo's wire harness. The step/rock light is also a clever idea.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
I like my Jetta side markers :) Though this is a good option for those that don't want to cut big holes in their fenders :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good idea!!

Too bad I can't use it. Mirrors are magnets for trees/walls/rocks....when wheelin'.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
What would be cool is to utilize a light on the underside of the mirror...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts