TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep flopping between the two and can't decide on which one. whatever i choose is going on my 05+ Long Travel IFS tacoma.

what are your thoughts between the 2?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
some say one is better then the other. yea there all about the same and one may be better for certain off roading genres, rock crawling , mudding, raceing- get the one that fits your pocket book and for your style

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
i keep flopping between the two and can't decide on which one. whatever i choose is going on my 05+ Long Travel IFS tacoma.

what are your thoughts between the 2?
the Atlas is bullet proof but requires a lot of modding to the floor and possibly the seat mounts.

just get the damn crawler and stop bitching, sheesh. :p

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
O/T..
Sooo, when's the SAS ?

:p
actually, he does extremely well with that LT...just needs lower gears :p
you gonna come up and run Dusy with us in July?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Ah shit. Forgot about that thread..

It's a long way out. Im hoping I will be able to. We'll see.

Im also hoping to have my crawler in and ready by AZ rocks :)

Again, We'll see

/OT. Sorry Tom :eek:
of course, if this snow keeps falling the Shaver Lk trails won't even open until mid August like back in '95:p

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
i am debating the same thing. I think a lefty would just be easier, and cheaper.

Also, if you're swapping your rear end, i dont know that there is a fix for the speedo issue with any case other than stock.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Haven't seen an Atlas in an 05+ yet, don't know, but would expect floor mods to be made for it to fit. If Wyatt hasn't had issues using a crawler infront of the OE t-case, I'd be inclined to think that's a good option. Lefty is an option, just remember that with a Crawler or 3/4 speed Atlas, you are GAINING gearing options. With just a Lefty, you'll have a lower low range for sure, but you'll have lost the original low range gearing. I like having the Tacoma 2.57 and the 4.7 to chose from--and I do switch between the two: 2.57 uphill, 4.7 downhill--and then there's the 12:1 in the technical rocky stuff or on steep downhill--look ma, no brakes required! (nor would they do any good) :D

**why do I use the OE low range on uphill? 1. I never had a power issue in the first place with the OE setup, only once was I not able to apply enough power to move the tires/truck (re-aligned on obstacle, problem solved). 2. I'm Chicken, using the OE low range kinda protects the drive train from overtorqueing the input to the t-case...in the middle of nowhere, I play Chicken a lot!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
To add to this, There are some who feel the chain drive cases in the 05+ are actually Stronger than a lefty. Marlin being one of them. Something to ponder.

Haven't seen an Atlas in an 05+ yet, don't know, but would expect floor mods to be made for it to fit. If Wyatt hasn't had issues using a crawler infront of the OE t-case, I'd be inclined to think that's a good option. Lefty is an option, just remember that with a Crawler or 3/4 speed Atlas, you are GAINING gearing options. With just a Lefty, you'll have a lower low range for sure, but you'll have lost the original low range gearing. I like having the Tacoma 2.57 and the 4.7 to chose from--and I do switch between the two: 2.57 uphill, 4.7 downhill--and then there's the 12:1 in the technical rocky stuff or on steep downhill--look ma, no brakes required! (nor would they do any good) :D

**why do I use the OE low range on uphill? 1. I never had a power issue in the first place with the OE setup, only once was I not able to apply enough power to move the tires/truck (re-aligned on obstacle, problem solved). 2. I'm Chicken, using the OE low range kinda protects the drive train from overtorqueing the input to the t-case...in the middle of nowhere, I play Chicken a lot!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my buddy Eric recently grenaded his stock chain driving t-case on his FJ..that means mines next haha since we're always on the same trails together

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i have to say i've been happy with my choice of the lefty and a cralwer...

i thought you only had the Lefty with no crawler.

but that would be the way to go for sure

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It's possible to blow up any type of case. The chain driven that Monkeyproof is speaking of is the first I've heard of a chain case blowing. I watched a lefty take a big dump on Aftershock in an FJ, and the atlas is not as bullet proof as many believe. Maddog blow his Atlas up at the hammers this past weekend. In the end, and this is just my opinion supported by Marlin, the atlas would be strongest but you have alot of floor modifications, followed by a crawler in front of the chain driven case followed by the lefty/crawler combo. He sells both the lefty and crawler so I don't think his opinion is that biased. This of course is for the '05+ Taco and taking in it's considerable weight and engine torque over the older Taco's or Toyota pickup's.

Like others have said, the crawler + transfer case options will provide you with more options than just the lefty and you'll be surprised at how often you will use them.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts