21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I learned some stuff when I had the dials in the taco. Im one of the few that did this. I really liked inchworms old crawl box to stock t case adapter. It used stock toy bearings. Now they use marlins bearings. Marlin tends to have supply issues. Just food for thought.

I wouldn't of done a linked shifter for the tcase if I had bucket seats. Way too much work and it never worked like I really wanted. I wouldn't waste the money or time on a twin stick either

Your gearing options will be 2.28, 2.57(stock) or 5.86:1. It crawled with a 4cly 5 spd. It would be even better with a v6 and auto. It will drive through the brakes!

It's not hard to build a crawl box. You may want to try and get some used adapters.

The floor depends on how much you want to clock the rear case

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys this is informative, I have some reading to do. Dudeman- are you running stock gears in your difs?
Yes I am. 4.10's

I got some thinking to do. Thanks Andy on your input. And I doubt I would go twin sticks. I don't really see the need.

Thanks guys. I'll keep this thread going as I'm sure some more questions will pop up.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So the more I read and the more horror stories I find, makes me think twice about duals and stock taco case. Seems as though some have stripped out the taco case due to short input shaft and the lack of strength that the chain driven case has compared to gear driven. It might not be that common but...I hate hearing about those horror stories.

So maybe starting out with a lefty is a better/stronger way to go...then add gears later if I need to go lower. I know the upfront cost is much more but it might save me cash in the long run. Plus it'll be a bit stronger than running the stock case. Thoughts????

Also, I can store the stock case in garage just in case I need it down the road.

Another concern: My 4.10's stock gearing is gonna be able to handle the added torque of a lefty, right? I'm not gonna need to re-gear am I? Right now I'm running 33's

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
There's a chance of breaking anything at any given point. You could buy the dual case setup and use your existing t-case and be fine or break it and conversely you could build a Lefty and break that as well. Boils down to what you want to do and what you want to spend. Crazy things can happen. Personally I would do the duals with your stock case, if you break the stock case see if you can locate another one and swap it in, after that go to something else such as the Lefty.

As for the gears, they will hold fine as the 4.10 gears are stronger. With 4.10 gears you transfer the stress back to the t-case, axle gearing helps to lessen the stress in the entire drivetrain. With that being said, I have a 4.10 Tacoma elocker axle in the back of my 4 Runner with dual cases and 4.7 gears - knock on wood, I haven't broken anything yet with heavy 37's.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
With that being said, I have a 4.10 Tacoma elocker axle in the back of my 4 Runner with dual cases and 4.7 gears - knock on wood, I haven't broken anything yet with heavy 37's.
You just had to say that before Takeover didn't you. Good luck to ya. :D

Anyway, I hear ya on the fact that anything can happen at any given time. Crazy things do happen.

I really appreciate all the info. I just like to gather as much info as I possibly can before making a purchase like this. I like to know everything I can and all the options before taking the plunge. Cause it's a slippery slope, this offroading shit. :D

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Scotts got 5:1 gears in the crawlbox in front of the stock taco tcase and 37's

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Scottsdale got 5:1 gears in the crawlbox in front of the stock taco tcase and 37's
Isn't it supposed to be the lower set of gears in the rear?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
It doesn't have to be, but it is ideal with the gears in the back. Also going with a geared Lefty, you end up with the situation that Mark mentioned with gearing on access road and what not.

Your approaching or surpassing the cost of and Atlas II transfer case with a geared Lefty with chromoly parts. I highly doubt you would break an Atlas.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It doesn't have to be, but it is ideal with the gears in the back. Also going with a geared Lefty, you end up with the situation that Mark mentioned with gearing on access road and what not.

Your approaching or surpassing the cost of and Atlas II transfer case with a geared Lefty with chromoly parts. I highly doubt you would break an Atlas.
Well, you can wire the ADD to a switch...then you would have shift on the fly. So the access roads aren't my concern. It's the fact that you mentioned...cost. But, I got time to save and not in any huge hurry.

Your right, I'd never break an Atlas (or even a lefty for that matter). I'm not extremely hard on my truck at all.

·
PA VP
987 Posts
^^^THIS^^^ :kewl:

·
PA VP
987 Posts
Well, you can wire the ADD to a switch...then you would have shift on the fly. So the access roads aren't my concern. It's the fact that you mentioned...cost. But, I got time to save and not in any huge hurry.

Your right, I'd never break an Atlas (or even a lefty for that matter). I'm not extremely hard on my truck at all.
running the setup you have you will never break a tacoma transer case either even with a crawl box in front of it.. like Andy said scott has never had a problem with his transfer cases and he isn't exactly easy on his stuff and also the reason he runs a tacoma t-case is because the lefty wasnt even out yet when he did his dual case setup so thats the reason for the 5.0:1 gears in the crawl box

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I have pics on my home pc, but it isn't working right now, so you'll have to come see it at TO!

I haven't had any problems with the setup I have, besides a leak that I can't seem to stop.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have pics on my home pc, but it isn't working right now, so you'll have to come see it at TO!

I haven't had any problems with the setup I have, besides a leak that I can't seem to stop.
Dammit...everyone's trying to coax me into goin to TO. Can't make it this year. :mad: Don't worry about those pics. I doubt I'll be going with triple sticks anyways.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
This is the only time Scott wheels. You won't see him till next year!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This is the only time Scott wheels. You won't see him till next year!
Ouch..you gonna take that scott!

I know, I wish I could make it for a couple of reasons. It's definitely a good time. Have fun you guys.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Let's look at this another way, what trails do you currently run and what do you plan on running along with additional mods to your truck.

Take Andy for example in his old Tacoma, dual cases with the stock t-case, he wheeled all over the place at Rausch on blues, blacks, and a red here and there with 33's and it did awesome at wheeling and as a daily driver. More seat time would probably get you further than a Lefty or dual cases as your Tacoma is pretty well built to the point of really no needing anything else other than knowing what your truck can do and what you can do with it. I would have no problem taking you down any number of the black trails with the setup you currently have. Yeah you may need a rock stacked or a tug here or there, but you would be surprised what it can do.

Seems like the guys that are breaking stock cases and other stuff are running much larger tires than you currently have and are also out west where the rocks offer much more traction as compared to east coast wheeling. The traction that can be had out west will break parts very easily.

Like has been said, Scott is running duals with 37's and lockers front and rear - so far so good and when he wheels it is blacks and reds. Back in the day Turner from down in Virginia ran blacks and reds with dual cases and 33's or 35's on a second gen Tacoma with a Marlin Crawler dual setup - never heard of any issues, but I didn't know him very well.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, the last time I came down to RC I ran blues, and some said lower level blacks but I can't be sure of that. I could look at the trail maps and give you some trail names if that helps. I see myself spending a lot of time over at Rock Run...it's only 45 min away from home.

Future mods to truck consist of...well, the current topic, some coil-overs at some point, and I have a set of All Pro uniball UCA's that I'm currently rebuilding. Will be running 33's for the most part but will probably eventually go 35's. My Dakars are spent so I'll be replacing those with All Pro 3 inchers probably. Probably lock the front at some point too. And no...I doubt I'll ever SAS it.

And you sneaky lil bugger!!! You busted me over on pirate. HAHAAA!! Those choices I posted over there were from your recommendations. Just doing all the research I possibly can...ya know. The extra for the 4.7 gearing in the lefty (which I was unaware of until now) changes everything.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts