TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...SO...TRIED TO ASK WHAT LIFT PEOPLE ARE USING IN THE LATE-TACO FORUM...NOT HAPPY W/RESULTS....YES, I KNOW THERE IS A SEARCH ENGINE. I'M HOPING I'LL GET A LITTLE OHIO HELP HERE.
THAT BEING SAID...

05+ TACO TRYING TO DECIDE WETHER TO LIFT OR NOT. HAS ANYONE HERE LIFTED AN 05+ TACO? IF SO...WHICH WAY DID YOU GO ABOUT IT. THERE JUST SEEM TO BE TOO MANY OPTIONS. AT THE MOMENT I'M CONSIDERING A MILD LIFT FROM BILSTEIN 5100 PRELOADS AND AN OME AAL. WILL I NEED THE 5100'S ON THE REAR BECAUSE OF THE AAL? CAN I CHANGE THE COILS LATER, OR SHOULD I DO IT NOW? CONTROL ARMS? LOOKING FOR SOME INPUT. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

GOTTA SAY THIS AGAIN...NOT HAPPY WITH THE TREATMENT OF MY QUESTIONS IN THE MAIN FORUM :mad:

THANKS ALL! GO BUCKS!!

RANGER

·
Registered
741 Posts
what is the purpose of your lift?

what sizes tires do you want to run?

how important is ride quality?

how much are you willing to spend?

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
have a link to your thread in the main forum?

I am not familar with the new tacos, but guessing it still has coilovers in the front/ leafs in the rear...

check out the cornfed lift... it is cheap, and it has worked great for me!!!
3" (no diff drop)

http://www.cornfedsuspension.com/

later
Mike

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
well i have no experience with the 05 nor do i personally know anyone that has lifted one.Like TacomaNova said more info on what you are gonna use truck for and how important ride quality is to you might get you a little more input.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first...caps issue addressed...second...thank you for resonable responses. i am not an expert...but not stoopid either ;) and get responded to as one in newbie tech. but let me ask...is anyone who is not sure what they want out of a lift confined to newbie tech? i've been "wheeling" for as long as ive been driving...just not as seriously i guess as most of the people on this site. i guess the lift is a lil' bit for show...a lil' bit for go. want to retain a good ride quality, but would like capability as well. dont want to go 6in or anything. 33" tires probably. lil concerned about down travel. 2-3 grand would be max $s but that includes tires & wheels...so not a ton of money to invest. bottom line...want trailworthiness without getting radical or spending my 401k. oops gotta get back to work :eek: more later.

thanks again for giving simple answers to simple questions

ranger

·
Registered
741 Posts
as far as the newbie tech folder, it is a safe haven for anybody asking questions that have been covered time and time again.

people are natzis about using the search function.

i don't know much about an 05, but for ride quality i would probably go with your basic coilover, everyone loves the donahoes.

i have a Long travel kit, on my truck, but that is a little bit out of your price range.

so with your budget

tires and wheels are what?... ~1200 ish if you keep yo u stock wheels you could save money ~800 for tires

leaves about 1-2k for suspension...

a decent site to buy from

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoma.htm

just read...read....read... its how i learned.

i don't know how much lift you need to clear 33s on the newer trucks, so you would probably want to find that out.

Austin

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
For a budget lift with out much added weight of armor to the truck, I would look at OME kits. I think the 2005's and up use 886 coil springs to replace the stockers. You could do a add a leaf in the back to lift the rear. Sorry I am not up on the newer trucks. Heck I think my 03 is still a new truck. :D

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
from what i have heard about the FJ OME kit (been doing research on it myself lately).. its good..
so I would have to imagine that it would be pretty good for the Taco too.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
x3 on OME with the only difference being that I'd eventually ditch the AAL and get full replacement paks. The AAL will give you the lift, but you're ride won't be as good, and it makes the already prevalent tacoma axle wrap even worse.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I buck the trend and say, no lift - fit the tallest tire you can. I think the new Taco's are back to the bigger wheel wells like the preTacos. See if you can fit a 33x10.50-15 or 255/85-16. You get all the ground clearance with a lot less fitment issues and you can use your factory rims.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ok...think i figured out how to ask this... i'd like to be able to take my truck to some of the ohv areas around ohio...for those of you who are experienced, what would be the minimum requirements? BTW truck is a trd off-road, and i have successfully completed the infamous "e-locker mod" :D go me!! what kind of clearance do i need to navigate most of the trails found here in our lovely state? i realize there are usually begginer to advanced trails, and i'm not lookin' to be the first guy to climb that mountain or make it through the mudhole no one has had the guts to stir up for a month. i know i need a lift to accomodate the 33's, but 32's may fit w/o. i've read what i can find...sheeeit i dunno. one question thats relevant...warranty...dont really want to void that 72 month extended warranty. :2cents: for everyone's thoughts!

thanks

ranger

PS was cruising youtube and ran across Una rock crawling in her work's parking lot...pretty sweet! :) was wondering...were you on the clock???

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
with the older model taco's, they are plenty capable stock... I went thru wellsville several times stock open open prior to lifting or going mud tires...
eric still runs stock, only now has much armor...

I did my 3" lift without voiding the most of the warrenty... the cv's, boots, shocks, and springs were no longer covered after I did the lift do to altered angle of the cv's...

talk to your dealer, it may be a good idea to confirm this for your truck...

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
You don't need to lift! (at least not yet)

Money is MUCH better spent on armor to protect that new truck - no matter how much you lift, there are bigger rocks!

If you are really concerned about the warranty, you should buy a beater to 'wheel. If a dealership can even remotely pin the failure to your off-road driving, they will and deny the warranty and you'll have to fight it out with ToyotaUSA.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i been hunting a beater. gotta sell my t-100 first. i thought about making it my wheeler...but she's getting tired, and there just arent too many parts out there for it. hoping to scrounge up an older (80)s model. as far as armor...i know of budbuilt, are there any other manufacturers i need to check out?

ranger

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Yep there are a few armor providers out there. I don't know how many have armor for the 05 +'s. Check out the sponsors section on the national board to get a better idea.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
If a dealership can even remotely pin the failure to your off-road driving, they will and deny the warranty and you'll have to fight it out with ToyotaUSA.
I disagree... when I purchases my taco, I made it clear I purchased it for offroading...
last summer, my cat came up with a warning and needed replaced... (it was all dented in from rocks, and looked like hell...)
they replaced it no questions asked under warrenty...
perhaps a bogus yota shop may claim it's not covered, but with my personal experience, and the answers I got prior to lifting (or even purchasing my taco), only direct mods would not be covered under warrenty, and items directly effected by the mods (e.g. the coilover assembly, since a spring spacer was added, and the cv's since normal driving angle was changed with the addition of the spring spacer)...

btw, the cat replacement occured at a yota shop in columbus, I purchased the taco in yota of warren...

hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well...it DOES say "off road" on the side. that'll be my main aguement. RedRunner, what kind of plates do you have?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts