TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I see there is already a posting on "how to a rear diff " but since its called cheap tricks mine is cheaper! For the rear they give a toyota part number but you can actually use the stock breather just use a pair of pliers to remove the spring head thing " dont worry you can put it back together if you need to" go to auto parts store and get applicable hose and desired lenght use the hose clamp a lil bit or diff oil so it goes on smooth and shazaam its done, here the cool part since on the front with "IFS"the oil pan is so close to the top of the diff the original breather modification has to be used because of clearance issues. So altogether in my truck i bought 20' $3.75 of vaccum or fuel line just to be safe a pack of the small hose clamps $1.99 a Y connector $0.99 to join the two hoses and for kicks added a pure flow clear fule filter $10.99 ..... If you need them I can send you pics.

Aaron

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
so basically you pull the little cap off of the stock breather and hose clamp the hose to it and be done with it?

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
xcmountain80 said:
Yes I see there is already a posting on "how to a rear diff " but since its called cheap tricks mine is cheaper! For the rear they give a toyota part number but you can actually use the stock breather just use a pair of pliers to remove the spring head thing " dont worry you can put it back together if you need to" go to auto parts store and get applicable hose and desired lenght use the hose clamp a lil bit or diff oil so it goes on smooth and shazaam its done, here the cool part since on the front with "IFS"the oil pan is so close to the top of the diff the original breather modification has to be used because of clearance issues. So altogether in my truck i bought 20' $3.75 of vaccum or fuel line just to be safe a pack of the small hose clamps $1.99 a Y connector $0.99 to join the two hoses and for kicks added a pure flow clear fule filter $10.99 ..... If you need them I can send you pics.

Aaron
Another slick trick is to get the quick disconnect 90* NPT fittings & use the clear refrigerator water line. I have ALL (axles, trans & t-case) breathers plumbed directly into the airbox ahead of the filter, which in turn is plumbed to my snorkle. Just getting them to the airbox will afford you a little extra edge of safety IMO. I used the bronze Q/D's on the housings, plastic Q/D's on the airbox. Total investment for all was less than $15

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I used the wrong kind of hose for my rear one the first time and it clogged up god knows how, and the pressure built up and blew my passenger axle seal. Not a big deal but made me feel like a dumbas* :xsmash:

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts

I'd like to see pics of your quick disconnects... I don't quite "see" it.

Jody.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts

·
208 Posts
Okay, you had me confused by saying "quick disconnect". What you meant was "push TO connect" which is a tool-less connection. Now I understand... kinda.

How did you connect the brass pieces to the axles and t-case??? How about a pic of your axle with this little gem installed??

Jody.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Outback said:
a tool-less connection...Jody.
hehe hehe... struggling to remain work safe & family friendly...

Anyways, the brass ones just screwed in to the axles & cases. Didn't think it was significant enough to document, but I'll see what I can do. If you ever come to a dang meeting you could see 'em- heck we could even put em in for you!

·
208 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah... drive 150 miles for a 2-3 hour meeting... Then drive 150 miles back in the middle of the week.... I don't think so :D

So, Toyota axle breathers are threaded 1/8 npt??? Or is it just close enough?

Jody.

·
208 Posts
Is "imperial" the same as 1/8 BSPT ????

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
xcmountain80 said:

Aaron
that what I did with mine ;)
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/Rear diff breather extension/

·
Registered
31 Posts
okay, so i can just run hose that fits from the breather after the cap is taken off to a higher place on the truck. what was the reason for not being able to do the front one? i have manual hubs if that matters with a v6

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
what was the reason for not being able to do the front one?

the front diffs already have a factory extension; its up on the driver side fender under the hood.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts