TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to home fab a rear bumper for my 4runner and just wanted to see bumpers that everyone else has made themselves. Show off your handy work!!:saw: :welder:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not my handy work, but custom one-off!!!!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

Be sure to build it to protect the taillights and if you have a 2nd gen, the cargo area glass if you can (they cost $427.19/ea)

·
Registered
63 Posts
here's one a friend and I built...simple 2x6 tube cut up with a hitch welded all the way through and shackle mounts welded on. Runs C-channel straight into the frame (ID size of the frame rails) and is held in by a few grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Very nice, can we have more details on it? Great work.
I made it a little over a year ago. The tire carrier was a recent addition that got finished last month.

If you google "Brucets bumper" you will see where I got the design from. I based the bumper off his.

The main bar of the bumper is a 3/16 2x4 and the sides are all made out of 1/8. I'm using rockstomper D ring recovery points that are welded all the way through. The tire carrier is made out of 1.5x2.5 .120 wall square stock and its using a 1" grade 8 bolt with a dom sleeve and super oilite bushings.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Was there an advantage on what side to mount the tire? I see yours is more to the right than the left, any reason? Im trying to figure out what side to mound my tire.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
i put my swing out carrier on the left side, seems to have better visabilty to the right side and behind me thru mirror, but with me and tire on same side truck leans a little, but i dont care about that:2cents:

·
Registered
801 Posts
The swing to the right side is kinda the standard in the US. The advantage is that if you are parked on the side of the road or if you get a flat on the freeway you can swing the tire out away from traffic. I get ok visibility with it on that side but at some point I will drop the tire down about 3" to get more visibility over the top of it. I did a little mis-measuring when I built it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts