TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys -

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted, obviously life has gotten busy for most of us!

So, lets talk about Southeast Takeover 11.

To say that our attendance has declined over the last years is putting it lightly. Not only are less and less trucks making the trip every year, but the support we had from vendors has taken a hit as well.

The "off road" industry has made a very distinct switch and so much focus is now on buggies, competitions, races, and massive spectator events. While there is nothing wrong with ANY of those things, and we can happily support and attend these, it has had a major detrimental effect on smaller homegrown events like Southeast Takeover.

For the past 6 years we have worked hard to create an event that is more than just trail riding. We’ve encouraged everyone to branch out and get to know their fellow wheelers. Its about more than the riding, it was about coming together for a good time and building friendships. BUT it IS an off road event, and the wheeling DOES matter. The southeast has lost many great parks and trail systems over the years and finding a location that fits the bill for SETO has become more and more challenging each year ---- Proximity to amenities like proper camping facilities, ease of travel for our long distance guys, enough trails to keep both stock to extreme busy for a few days, and of course the overall cost to make sure it is within everyone’s reach have always been an important part of SETO. With competitions, major events, and races becoming more prevalent we’ve lost the ability to pick a park and “take over” like we had been able to in the past.

To get right down to it – I need to hear from you guys. Labor Day weekend this year is not leaving us with many options for a successful SETO 11 event. We had considered several different trail systems but most of them all ready have something on the books. Adventure Offroad (AOP) has a buggy event and benefit ride scheduled. Windrock has a new (expensive) event kicking off this year. Golden Mountain has their pavilions booked. The low attendance we had in Harlan last year does not seem to make that a viable option. We had considered the new Durhamtown Tellico area, but I am not confident that it would provide enough trail riding opportunity for everyone.

In addition to all of that, I’ll be honest in saying that the event hasn’t been too easy on Colin and I with the addition of a little one who isn’t quite ready to wheel yet. We have been happy to keep on with it despite not even getting to hit the trails the past two years, but our riding situation isn’t going to change much anytime soon ;)

So you tell me – what do we need to do here? One thought it so combine SETO with the annual October trip that a group of TN/NC guys have been making every year – usually to Harlan but other locations could be considered as it’s less “busy” than Labor Day. We can encourage more weekend wheeling events; AOP seems like an awesome park as long as there isn’t a major event going on there. I’m really at a loss on this because it IS IMPORTANT to us, we’ve had 10 amazing events. A decade of great wheeling and great friends. But here we are at an impasse and I’m just not sure how to move forward.

Please keep your comments positive. We all know things have slowed down on the forum, but like anything else, the tides sometimes change… its up to YOU to help bring it back around again.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I am probably gonna end up sounding like a a$$hole here but oh well.

The problem i
s not location, date, or anything else. The problem is people (myself included) whining, bitching and generally carrying on about how the event is not 100% what they want or where they want, when they want, ect. Stfu! Not one of you is willing to step up and help with it so therefore you have no say. Once one person bitches it snowballs and then next thing you know you have a bunch of people bitching and not attending solely because that's the stand someone else took. And its over stupid crap. It's hot....you live in the south, it's gonna be hot. It's too far away....since when is a 3-4 hour drive too far...that's nothing. It just drives me nuts.

This event belongs in Harlan and i like the labor day date. You said you wanted a park to take over....well with harlan you get an entire town. Yes, the campground isn't super nice...oh well. You have gas, food, parts, anything you could want right there, and the wheeling is second to none.

I have been to 6 Seto's in 4 parks.

2 in Tellico....my absolute favorite place i have ever wheeled...but it's gone :(
1 in Tracy city....my least favorite. Long ride to wheel, trail guides, whole thing was hurry up and wait.
2 in Windrock.....i am neutral here....i like the park, it served the event well, i like the trails and wheeling.
1 in Harlan.....i loved it....orv friendly community, great trail system, ect.

My opinions

If there is a labor day event i will be there....i am not scrared to drive a couple miles. October dates do not work for me.

·
235 Posts
Where doesn't matter. Free stuff or raffle stuff also doesn't matter. Get out and go wheeling. Meet new folks, meet old folks. Have fun and break stuff. I'm all in if job allows the time off. Hoping a new career path in the next few weeks so that's a major factor for me. If job status doesn't change I'll be there.

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
Nicole, you and Colin stop putting so much pressure on yourselves to make it look like the Super Bowl. Regardless, the people who are there will have a great time. It won't be like it was 5 years ago. Those time were great and we keep remembering those times. Like you have said, life happens. It killed me to not go last year but I cant drive to KY. Not anyone's problem, just my choice. As for Saturday night raffles, again, take the stress out and more focus on grills, drinks, jokes and general good times. Trail guides were awesome back then but folks are gonna ride with groups of good friends and/or jump in with a group of their trail level. Everybody knows the effort that has been put in back then and appreciates it. Todd spelled it out and Ed has said it.."Let's wheel!" Let the masses decide on a destination and a date and be there if you can make it. It just works that way. If you can't make it, see you next time. Bring your chair, tent, cooler and a spare tire. That's how we all met years ago and here we are still. It just works. Happy Father's Day!

·
Your Rig Sucks
618 Posts
And if we went to the Windrock event, They already have a raffle and stuff all set. Let them do all the work and we can still have our own little group doing our own thing as always. Maybe contact them and see about a "partnership"?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Nicole touched on the windrock event, mentioning it was expensive. It's only expensive if you register. It's a public park.....there is nothing stopping seto from being there and nothing forcing us to pay their event fee. If folks want the whole event/raffle/trail guide to hold their hand then let them pay to have it. The rest of us can go on wheeling without it. Gives both options without any extra work for Nicole/Collin.

Alan nailed it....in my opinion it needs to get back to grills, drinks and jokes and let the commercial aspects just go away.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Has any thought been given to the Ivy Branch trails in WV? I think its part of the Hatfield McCoy trails/park. I know it would be a bit of a drive but its a new place.... Just a thought.

I honestly dont care where we go. Ive managed to get off a bunch of days on either side of Labor Day weekend, so Im down for a long weekend of wheeling wherever!

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, loving it. It's the friends, drinks, and campfires we miss so much. Keep it coming and we'll come up with a plan here soon.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you kids want tshirts?! throw some ideas out or it'll end up being something about pampers or breastfeeding or toddler stuff. My brain isn't working too well these days :)

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
you kids want tshirts?! throw some ideas out or it'll end up being something about pampers or breastfeeding or toddler stuff. My brain isn't working too well these days :)
well, most of us are full of shit, love boobs and act like children so maybe yours ideas are not too far off base :p

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats the funniest thing i've read in a long time :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, loving it. It's the friends, drinks, and campfires we miss so much. Keep it coming and we'll come up with a plan here soon.
This is what I miss most about the SETOs that I was able to attend. Put it anywhere you want, anytime you want and people will show up just for the fun of wheeling and the fellowship. I haven't heard/seen anyone bad-mouthing you two over your efforts since little man came along so don't worry about that. All the "glamour" aspects with a raffle, gift bags, etc won't be missed by many, especially the ones who come to hang out more than anything. T-shirts however are not "glamour" items and are a requirement haha

However, I do have 2 disclaimers for this year:
1. I will probably be looking for an open seat IF (see disclaimer 2) I'm able to make it.
2. If it's Labor Day weekend, I'm out. We'll be traveling to Michigan for Rolison's wedding.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I agree with everything said above.

IMO I think windrock is the best mostly due to it being a more central location for everyone as opposed to Harlan. And windrock still has a ton of awesome trails.

Harlan is a ton of fun as well and cant go wrong there either.

Maybe we rotate between the two?

Raffles are cool, I like getting free stuff, but I dont think thats the reason why everyone shows up. Im in it for hanging out and wheeling. I dont get out on the trails much these days, so I always plan on SETO.

As far as the weekend being Labor day or not, I like Labor Day and I dont. I like it because I can plan on that weekend every year, I dont necessarily have to take a vacation day. On the other hand, there is a lot of fun events that weekend as well that I choose not to go to because I would rather be wheeling. Moving it to another weekend later in the the fall, means it might interfere with my college football schedule,:D

I do like the possible idea of tagging along with the windrock event, sounds like the best of both worlds.

This reminds me I need to get the truck going again...it has some electrical issues with starting...again.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
This is what I miss most about the SETOs that I was able to attend. Put it anywhere you want, anytime you want and people will show up just for the fun of wheeling and the fellowship. I haven't heard/seen anyone bad-mouthing you two over your efforts since little man came along so don't worry about that. All the "glamour" aspects with a raffle, gift bags, etc won't be missed by many, especially the ones who come to hang out more than anything. T-shirts however are not "glamour" items and are a requirement haha

However, I do have 2 disclaimers for this year:
1. I will probably be looking for an open seat IF (see disclaimer 2) I'm able to make it.
2. If it's Labor Day weekend, I'm out. We'll be traveling to Michigan for Rolison's wedding.

Dufuq? Why is his wedding in Michigan? Is that where she is from or something? Also didnt even know he was engaged...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Moving it to another weekend later in the the fall, means it might interfere with my college football schedule,:D
I remember listening to the first UT game of the season on the radio at every SETO and Auburn plays that weekend too. I say put it on Iron Bowl weekend :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Dufuq? Why is his wedding in Michigan? Is that where she is from or something? Also didnt even know he was engaged...
Yeah, Elise is from up there. Wedding is in Grand Rapids. Scary thought that guy getting married huh?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts