TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my rambling, I'm going to lay it all out for you guys -

If you've been keeping up with it (and even if you haven't) the property in Tracy City that we've gone to to for the past three years probably isn't going to be open for riding much longer. That is NOT what this thread is about - so please keep it on topic here.

Because of the land access issues in TC, we're thinking of taking Southeast Takeover to Windrock/Coal Creek for this year.

I've spent the last few months exploring other options and trying to find a good fit for our event - its just a hard bill to foot. Golden Mountain would've been great, but it also would've been $115 PER TRUCK not including food or all the extras... thats just too much to ask for our event and not the direction that we wanted to go in.

So, what we're thinking is doing a "Back to Basics" Southeast Takeover this year.

We set the date, and everyone show up if/when they can... and lets go wheeling!

So my question to you guys is, do you want us to do any of the extras for a small 'registration fee' ... beer glasses, keg, raffle, coozies, etc? We'll of course have T-shirts available to pre-order, regardless of what else we do for the event.

But what I wanna know is do you wanna just get back to the wheeling and forgo all the other stuff? Be honest, and speak up, because your thoughts and opinions will help dictate the event for this year.

We'll be making decisions this week, less than two months to go til Labor Day!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I missed the last two SETO events but thoroghly enjoyed the one I made it to,so I dont know entirely what changed.

That being said, I think the raffle is always a good idea to have in place, if nothing else it gets EVERYBODY together in one spot.

I think the other stuff is cool like the glasses and what not, but if it prevents people from coming cause they cant afford it then I think it should be scrubbed.

I also know that every year the effort you guys put into this is noticed and more and more ttora members show up from outside our normal group of people. To that end, Maybe you should include all the little doodads, (in registration fees of course). Maybe get Vendors involved in this?

You guys have done an awesome job with the past SETO events. I dont have any doubts that this one will be just as good if not better regardless on what is decided!!!!

All in all, Im gonna be there wherever it may be!!

·
Your Rig Sucks
618 Posts
Never missed a SETO. Never will. I agree that the "extras" and the raffle are a great deal for the money. Windrock is fine. Anywhere is fine. I'll be there regardless. I don't care where it is or what it costs. A hundred dollars or two is a HUGE bargain for a long weekend of wheeling, not to mention the swag bag and raffle. I appreciate all you do for the event. I know it takes months to get this together. And before the people chime in saying "It costs too much", you guys are in the wrong sport. How much do our tires cost? How much is a winch? Or a lift kit? Save your pennies for a couple months and lets wheeeeeeeeeel !!!!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
0$ or 150$....dont matter......i have the time off and i'm coming....i just got back from windrock a couple weeks ago...but I will go again....its a nice easy 1000 mile round trip deal.

I just wanna wheel.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Haven't missed a SETO since I showed up around here, I dont plan on missing this one. I do think the back to basics approach might be nice.
SETO is usually a deal when all things are considered, but a cheap wheeling trip is nice too.

I'm down for whichever way it goes, but maybe a half and half approach is good, maybe go for t-shirts and dinner, leave off the raffle and beer/glasses. Should help cut down on cost, and planning, and keeps everyone together for the communal meal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
last year was my first seto, I had more fun at that event than before or since. it wasnt the location, the swag or any of that it was the people plain and simple, I have looked forward to returning this year ever since and aithough its a bit of a let down about the cove I will be there where ever it is. I dont need all the extras but Im willing to pay a little more for them. this is a once a year deal for me its not just another wheeling trip it an event.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Im in. I like the T-shirt, and the beer glasses, all the other stuff floated around in my truck till it got moved to the shed where it sit in the same bag I got it in. I could do with out all the extra mombo-jumbo. Like Jimmy, Kyle, and all the other NC peeps, we just want to wheel, all we need is a date and address.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I was wondering the other day, I know Mountainside is closed now, but would there be any way that the owner would let us use the park for that weekend? It would be nice to have a park like that all to your self.

Other than that, I agree with everybody else. Also, is there a club or large group discount that can be used at Windrock and any way a TTORA area can be secured/blocked off beforehand in the Windrock Parking lot?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I was wondering the other day, I know Mountainside is closed now, but would there be any way that the owner would let us use the park for that weekend? It would be nice to have a park like that all to your self.

Other than that, I agree with everybody else. Also, is there a club or large group discount that can be used at Windrock and any way a TTORA area can be secured/blocked off beforehand in the Windrock Parking lot?

The windrock park campground has a events area with a pavillion...i would assume activities could/would center there since that is likely where alot of people will stay???

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
I like the "back to basics" idea for the simplicity of it. Yeah the extra stuff is a nice touch but if it helps save a few bucks and time for people trying to put it all together I can do without. Does windrock allow alcohol? I thought they didn't from what I remember.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The windrock park campground has a events area with a pavillion...i would assume activities could/would center there since that is likely where alot of people will stay???
Oh ok. I couldnt remember since the last time I was there was about 5 years ago.

Does windrock allow alcohol? I thought they didn't from what I remember.
The SETTORA group doesnt drink, so i dont see a problem with that:rolleyes::p

·
Registered
310 Posts
The SETTORA group doesnt drink, so i dont see a problem with that:rolleyes::p

Jimmy will have a problem with that.

I cant really plan that far out because of my job. I will have to see what the calendar looks like when it gets closer.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like the way the past 2 SETO's have been ran, but those are the only 2 I've been to so I can't chime in too much on "back to basics". But I tend to agree with the majority here, whatever gets the most people there. I would assume the price for Windrock would be more than Tracy City so that will be a factor for some I'm sure, including me.

I just hope to have tires, sliders, and skids by then:thumbs:

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input!

Lemme try to go through some of the thoughts on it -

Someone said they'd rather keep the meal than get the 'extras' ... A meal is actually MORE difficult to plan and coordinate than it is to get other extras together (keg, glasses, etc). If someone is willing to handle the meal - I will work with you to set a budget and get it paid for, but HE/SHE will be in charge of the entire set up/serving/all that business. Tracy City was easy, as the campground graciously handled it. But let me tell you, if you have to outsource the food from a caterer or restaurant, ask Jack how much fun he had with it (he did a great job, btw), but it definitely cut into his wheeling through out the event weekend.

A park like Mountainside (we considered all options) won't work for what we are looking for. Camping, 'Nice' bathrooms, centrally located, most importantly - more than a days worth of wheeling. ... Windrock has enough ground that you won't be able to cover it in 3 days. We have a vast array of wheelers in our group, and we like being able to offer off road opportunities for everyone. Plus, windrock has a map - no waiting on trail guides - just go when you wanna go - and come back when you wanna come back!

The event area at Windrock park campground is crappy. Yes there is a pavilion (which is free for us to use as long as we let them know ahead of tie), the area around the pavillion is a big grassy field. There is no point in camping around there when the campsites throughout the actual campground are MUCH nicer, closer to the bathhouse, etc. I have inquired about discounts, and there are none to be had for our group. Back to basics means everyone is responsible for their own accommodations and park permits.

Alcohol is allowed at the campground, but personal responsibility will be important as we won't be the only ones there. ... thats just the nature of the park.

I just wanna make a few comments about raffle/sponsor/etc stuff that yall have gotten in the bag 'o crap every year. I'm some what shocked that you guys can't handle throwing away some papers each year (there are campfires everywhere, hint hint). When companies come together and send us THOUSANDS of dollars worth of products for FREE to include in our raffle, is it too much to ask that yall "deal" with the promotional brochures and paper items that they ask me to provide to attendees? Think about it.

So what we're thinking so far, is that you are responsible for your own camping, permits, food, etc...... We'll offer t-shirts for pre-order and maybe a few at the 'event' at the regular $15 cost. In addition, you can optionally 'register' (though it'd be nice to know who is coming, regardless). Registration (~$25) will offer some unique goodies specific to SETO 8.... the trade off.... raffle tickets will only be sold to registered attendees... and no, you can't buy them for others who haven't registered.

That way, you have a choice... come for the wheeling with none of the extras .... or come for the 'event' side of things, along with the wheeling!

-darcy

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That way, you have a choice... come for the wheeling with none of the extras .... or come for the 'event' side of things, along with the wheeling!
I like this idea. Gives the option for anybody who has a busy weekend to make it out for a day to wheel with a lot of friends, kind of what I had to do last year. I also like when you talked about how windrock has a map and groups can be organized to leave whenever. I think that will be a nice upgrade and the groups will have a chance to slim down.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Sounds like a great plan. This will be seto #4 for me and i've had a ton of fun each and every time.

1 thought....even if we dont use the event area...maybe we could still have it set up so when you call you can say your with seto so they can mybe put everyone somewhat together in the same block of campsites?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like a good plan Nicole. Being able to pay and enjoy the benefits of that or just come and wheel, sounds like that should keep both sides happy.

Are the dates for the trip pretty firm? I was going to go ahead and make reservations with the campgound.

Thanks for putting this together.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like a great plan. This will be seto #4 for me and i've had a ton of fun each and every time.

1 thought....even if we dont use the event area...maybe we could still have it set up so when you call you can say your with seto so they can mybe put everyone somewhat together in the same block of campsites?
Thats what I was thinking -- I called this morning and reserved Cabin #1 for Colin and I.

Connie made a note for "SETO" as our group name, so call and mention that and she said she would help group everyone together.

Sounds like a good plan Nicole. Being able to pay and enjoy the benefits of that or just come and wheel, sounds like that should keep both sides happy.

Are the dates for the trip pretty firm? I was going to go ahead and make reservations with the campgound.

Thanks for putting this together.

Dates are firm -- Labor day weekend - Aug 31 - Sept 3 (I know the rest of the NC guys usually head up the thursday before)

1 - 20 of 147 Posts