will a 1" leveling kit work for me?
where can i purchase this?

thanks guys

more pics coming...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
nice truck by the way.

i guess many people will tell you that a leveling kit is nothing else than a lift spacer. For that tire size, a couple of inches should be enough.

Options? Procomp, Daystar, Toytec, etc.

spacers aren't the best lift option, but for the price they'll take care of those rubbing issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
GMAK said:
i just put 265/75/16s on 16x8 stellies
the front is rubbing, cut the fenders a little
stock ride height
will a 1" leveling kit work for me?
where can i purchase this?

thanks guys

more pics coming...

I'm looking at the Toytec 2" spacer lift for the same reason, clearing slightly larger tires (and I don't like the raked look of the factory setup). I figure a small lift and slightly larger tires should be fine for running forest service roads and to the back of an MX track parking lot. I'm also hoping the 2" spacers will not stiffen the ride or cause driveline vibrations too bad. Anyone running this setup and have some personal experience to share?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
i'm running 2.5" and they do stiffen the ride. My guess is that any spacer regardless the amount of lift or brand will do the same.

Just keep that in mind before you spend the money. With spacers you will feel everything on the road twice as much, like bumps, holes, etc. Some companies talk about their spacers in terms of "comfort ride" "easy ride" or whatever.

In my experience, that's not the case at all. spacers will give you the clearance you need for bigger tires. that's about it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the spacer is out of the coil it will be better ride since it wont preload the spring. Try for the out of coil spacer and dont go too big with it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought you had to remove the stock upper spring seat and replace the stock studs with longer studs for the above the spring seat 1" lifts? I've got the Daystar "above the seat" 1" kit at home now and it comes with new studs. In my case I have to take it to a shop to install as the instructions say you need a ball joint seperator and spring compressor, of which I have neither and would probably hurt someone if I did....

·
Registered
551 Posts
yes, you will find that any spacer is going to make your ride harsh and uncomfortable. and definetly do not get a top out spacer that is too big. They will not do your ball joints any good. If you are looking for a mild quality lift kit, then go with the OME kit from Toytec. You will get 2" of lift with a quality ride and nothing will jeapordize any of your suspension components. If you want to maintain a decent ride then you are going to have to spend some money on the lift. If you have the money then go with a good coiover up front with new leafs in the back. could do a 1" body lift as well. very cheap but PITA to install.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2" Spacers

I had 2" toytec spacers in my 05 and it leveled it perfectly. It looks great with 265x75x16's too.
Mine is for sale $75

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
with the amount of upward pressure that is being put onto the spacer, the factory studs work fine. I was able to get about 6 to 8 thread of the stud above the cup to put the nut back on w/. I never had to worry about getting longer studs, i just checked the nuts once for being tight and never had a problem.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
DentedTacoma said:
If the spacer is out of the coil it will be better ride since it wont preload the spring. Try for the out of coil spacer and dont go too big with it.
Would you have a little better ride than screwed up parts?

The "bumpstop" that limits how far the travel goes down is the shock. The shock prevents the cv's and ball joints from overextending.

When you put in a in-the-coil spacer, you are preloading, and the "bumpstop" stays at the same legnth, still providing the factory limit.

When you put a above the coil spacer, you are moving that limit down along with your starting point (more lift). Now, go hit a bump of flex, and the front tire drops, and now you create damage. Why? You have a greater chance of overextending cv's and balljoints.

STAY AWAY FORM ABOVE THE COIL. The most you should go on a top load (at least for the 95-04 trucks) is about 1/2" thick spacer. This will give you 1" of lift.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
McJohn
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing