TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure Kyle and Lauren will post some pics. It wasn't us but it took us close to 3 hours to move a Cherokee probably two car lengths up the extremely hard exit. It only had 3 wheels, two broke front axles, and no brakes. And he was alone.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
In for pics

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'll post up some pics and vids today when I get sone wifi.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
He was stuck way before 2:30. That's about the time Nate came around.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We started trying to get him up the exit around 1:00. Wasn't really watching the clock. Just know that we needed to leave to make it to a dinner at 3:30. There's no way we can leave someone in a bad way. He had one buddy helping but his rig was way back down the trail. We had him start back out of Liberty because we knew we needed more winches. I left close to 3:30 and they were still trying to get him out. At least we had him to the top.
Made it to the dinner a 4:00.
I didn't mind. It's always a learning experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We started trying to get him up the exit around 1:00. Wasn't really watching the clock. Just know that we needed to leave to make it to a dinner at 3:30. There's no way we can leave someone in a bad way. He had one buddy helping but his rig was way back down the trail. We had him start back out of Liberty because we knew we needed more winches. I left close to 3:30 and they were still trying to get him out. At least we had him to the top.
Made it to the dinner a 4:00.
I didn't mind. It's always a learning experience.
Thanks for helping him out, I hate leaving anybody broken on a trail, but I was a passenger with a group that had to go.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Here's a few pics and vids. Most of them were just short clips of us making about three inches of progress each time.

Here's our setup, someone had broken the railing a few weekends ago so we used it as a slider to bring the axel up.

Used his tire that fell off instead of rock stacking

First attempt at moving with the rail

Little sketchy

Glad we had the hi lift

Helped a lot...

Hi lift jack attack

At this point the railing was being wedged into his shock, tire, and gas tank...which is why it wasn't moving.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I'm sure Kyle and Lauren will post some pics. It wasn't us but it took us close to 3 hours to move a Cherokee probably two car lengths up the extremely hard exit. It only had 3 wheels, two broke front axles, and no brakes. And he was alone.
He wasnt' necessarily alone. However, the two of us decided we weren't going up patriot. And we tried to talk him out of it... he's stubborn. Didnt listen.

We had him out of the way (off the exit, and pulled up about 100ft) about 20 minutes after you guys took off.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I wasn't sure exactly, we came up Freedom with 2 broken rigs about that time and he was on the exit, right at the top. There was another Cherokee and a Taco with him.
Yea, we were parked down at the intersection. I was debating going out patriot until i heard it was that exit. I stayed at the bottom at the intersection until i got word as to what was going on. Then we boogied up and out Liberty and back around to winch him out.

PS -- we did what we could to get the oil/brake fluid cleaned up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alone as in only vehicle on that section. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. So did the other Cherokee driver. Definatley pretty gutsy to go up that part.
Like I said. I didn't mind. Got to experiment with recovery techniques.
I'm glad he got out finally. We had some serious McGuiver crap going on.
The old guy helping was even going to get us his cherry picker to help get it out if we needed.
All in all... a good time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for helping him out, I hate leaving anybody broken on a trail, but I was a passenger with a group that had to go.
No biggy! You guys had major issues also. Also some sweet rigs in your group. Some of your guys offered to help but we had him up to the top by then. Thanks. Hope to see you on the trail again.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
WTF was that POS doing on Patriot in the first place?! :doh: That mall crawler has absolutely no business on that trail. I hope the cost of his carnage (and the tow home) sunk into his pea brained head that he should stay the fawk off trails that FAR exceed his AND his rig's capability. :withstup: Everybody breaks and shit happens sometimes, but it all comes down to one simple motto: KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS.

:2cents:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
wow.

great job helping out. he's lucky he had some stand up people there to get him out of the trail. can't teach common sense i guess....

·
7,735 Posts
holy shit! when you said 3-wheel, I thought one just didn't have any power (obviously with a broken axle)... but missing the wheel on the vehicle entirely :eek::rolleyes:

Good on all you for helping him. I've never turned my back on helping somebody out. But there's a line where you say "wow, you're just totally fucked. you're going to have to park your shit, go get parts and fix it to get out of here". From this side of the keyboard, i'd say that guy was just over that line.

·
20,355 Posts
Guess that's what happens when nate drags jeeps out onto the trail.

Remember though shit happens. Pretty sure that jeep has upgraded axles so it wasn't entirely a bad rig. From the sounds of it the group was bored by liberty but most felt patriot was over their head. He just decided to give it a go and see what happened. I know many on here have done that once or twice in our wheeling careers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts