TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to beat a dead horse. I have seriously read the other threads and cannot find the information i'm looking for. I am looking for a lift for my 06 tacoma acess cab 4x4 trd off road. I do not mind spending 1600 for the lift alone, but i cannot determine what i want. I am looking for something that maintains great on-road ride and tracking, but also increases my off road capabilities. I do not do a lot of HARD trail riding, but it would be nice to clear some bigger stuff than i have, while maintaining front IFS. The most important thing to me, is quality. Originally i wanted to do a fabtech 6" with 35's, but i have heard the balljoints and wheel bearings may suffer. I want it to be a good mix of mall cruiser and off road machine. I am very new to the off-road scene, but i have an extensive automotive experience, so please be a little more specific on acronyms and what not. I appreciate any advice in this matter.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome... the thing with the fabtech lift is you will be cutting your crossmember to install the drop down bracket. IMO, go with either the Toytec/OME lift or even better Hoes/Camburgs with new springs for the back. You honestly do not need 35s either. I would step up to a 32" and do either of the lifts I mentioned. :2cents:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to an off-road shop in phoenix and they were telling me to get a 3 inch coil over system, add a leaf and total chaos upper control arms. Can anyone comment to the performance of this type of set up?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
pappasmurf said:
I went to an off-road shop in phoenix and they were telling me to get a 3 inch coil over system, add a leaf and total chaos upper control arms. Can anyone comment to the performance of this type of set up?
For the needs you've described, that sounds like the almost the ideal amount (setting the CO's at 2-2.5" is best), and will improve the performance characteristics of your truck.

Upper control arms aren't necassary unless you get extended length C/O's which will give you an extra inch of down travel. Both Donahoe and Camburg make thier CO's in extended length versions. You'll want new shocks to go along with the AAL as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the offroad package, so would i need to change the bilsteins? The total chaos control arms are extended length. Would 33's be the biggest tires i can fit under the truck with a 3 inch lift? Also, if anyone is interested in the stock tires and wheels (3000) miles on them, let me know. And potentially the bilsteins as well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
pappasmurf said:
I have the offroad package, so would i need to change the bilsteins?
If you're lifting the back end and leave the stock shocks on there you're liable to trash the shock, or bend the shock mount when you flex out the suspension.

pappasmurf said:
The total chaos control arms are extended length.
You only need the aftermarket UCA's if you're getting the extended length coil overs.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
mudferret said:
Both Donahoe and Camburg make thier CO's in extended length versions. You'll want new shocks to go along with the AAL as well.
Nope, this is for an 06, the extended length CO's are only an option for early tacos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mandzach, you seem to have practically the same set up i'm looking for. How do you feel about your components? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you all for the input so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
pappasmurf
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing