TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got this thing. If anyone remembers this rig, on Brett's farewell run at Rocky Gap around midnight, it fired a football sized rock at Robert's leg near the beginning of the run. That rock woulda been tossed directly at my face through my windshield, but I digress. Thanks for the save, Robert!

Anywho, as Brett worked on it, it currently has OME Dakar stacks on the back and Nitro Charger shocks and nearly cranked torsions (OME I suspect or something larger than stock) on the front. The front has about 1.5" to go before i'm on the bumps.

Goal is, before I start getting crazy on this thing, to get 35s underneath it (buy once, cry once) with the IFS still on it and work on sourcing an axle to finish the swap. I'm super close and don't mind paying for the body lift or BJ spacers so I can start bending and building my bumpers and slider.

Anyone see any objections with what i've got going so far? These first gens are new to me and I only have an initial approach of ideas coming to me. The body lift is really only to fit the sliders. I have an ARB front bumper now, but i'll be making my own which is a terrible idea, but I think I can do it. Rear will be pretty ridiculous with a tire gate with 2x jerry can holder. I've searched plenty here, pirate, marlin, inchworm, and everywhere else, so I think what i'm doing is feasible before the SAS.

Also, I have MIG and TIG welders, as well as EVERYTHING else in the shop, just not fully versed in it yet, so any help I can get would be awesome! I can trade services (body work, paint, mechanical, electrical, whatever.) Lemme know if you can lend a hand if I need it and i'll definitely compensate you!

Ken

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Body lift fab yourself is feasible but why? Roger Brown sells kits for $100+-
It's not even worth the time when the kits so cheap and well respected (I run one)

Regarding the bumper, I can give you some insight as I just spent a while building, tearing apart, rebuilding until I liked it. It came out nice but I missed one aspect that was critical....double shear connections. I used 1" axles and the one holding my tire swing out failed due to being a single shear setup.

I would also recommend against axles/bearings for the swing out pivot. Instead go with a beefy 3/4" grade 8 bolt setup in double shear. That will not fail.

If you need a hand fabing or welding just hit me up here and we can work something out. Always willing to lend a hand when I can.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'll give you my opinion since I've built a couple 84-89 4Runners and pickups...

I think if you go with ball joint spacers, cranked torsion bars, a body lift, sheet metal trimming and proper offset wheels you MIGHT clear 35's. I have seen your 4Runner in person when 89toyrunner owned it (he bought the ARB bumper off of me) and it's a very clean example that I would hate to see you cut up unnecessarily. There's just not that many clean first gen's left and I have somewhat of a soft spot for them.

The SAS is not only going to lift the front but it will move the axle forward a couple inches which is what really give you the tire clearance needed to run 35's or larger. Plus I'm sure you don't want to spend the money regearing your ifs front diff only to cut it out a short while later. If I remember correctly you have a 3.0 auto combination which is gonna be a dog with 35's and 4.10's.

As far as the body lift goes I have never been a big fan of body lifts unless you really need the extra clearance. If your only trying to fit 35's you won't need a body lift once you do the SAS. Even with most 3" front leaf springs your going to end up with at least a 4" lift because of the drop on the front spring hanger and a 4" SAS will easily clear 35's. I guess what I'm saying is I would wait on the 35's until you do your SAS.

Also if your planning on building your own front bumper don't forget to compensate for the front spring hanger you will be welding in when you do your SAS.

So I have a couple questions for you... What are your intentions for the 4Runner? Crawler, expo, DD, Weekend warrior? Do you really need a SFA? You could put some stock V6 torsion bars back in with some bj spacers 4 nice shocks and clear 33 10.50's for sure maybe even 33 12.50's. Add in a couple lunch box lockers some armor and you have a very capable rig that can tackle most anything you throw at it. If your building a dedicated crawler or are looking to tackle some of the harder trails then by all means go forward with your SAS.

Hopefully you take this the rite way I'm just trying to give you some options not trying to offend...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glory : Thanks for the info on the tire gate set up. I'd like to start getting something designed soon. Been busy cleaning the interior and repairing some leaky stuff underneath. For the body lift, i'm definitely going to buy as opposed to build. It'd be great if, after I get all my stuff from curtis steel next few weeks, you can swing by the shop and offer up an extra set of eyes and thoughts. I'm working on getting a bender soon and a few dies, too.

vegastoy : I took it all as options and thoughts from someone who knows and not offended at all. I'm actually glad you piped up on a few things. While measuring for rock slider legs, I was thinking the only way to have the legs straight out of the frame and angle up is to get an extra 3/4 of frame exposed buy lifting the body up. I'd buy a set of sliders, but i'm just now getting into the wonderful wide world of fabrication and really having fun with it. I'd like to start building my own stuff like this if I can. Is there something i'm missing about how the slider kits everyone sells mount up to the frame?

Intentions for the truck are more of a weekend rig that I can just get in and go anywhere with the group here or finally make one of the big trips. I'm with you in how clean the truck is and would like to keep it that way. If I have to trim the fenders, I won't even bother. 33's would probably get me wherever I need to go, but ultimately, 35s on a solid axle is what i'd like, and nothing too insane, just 4" to clear tires and make it through trails I might have some serious trouble with on 33s and 2 1/2" of lift.

It does a fairly tired 3.0 with a 5-spd. Brett had said the engine didn't get a very good job done on the re-build it had while 89ToyRunner still drove it (whoever did the work), shortly before driving it to cali and leaving it sit until sold. I'm up in the air on the engine, so once I do a tune-up, i'll figure out what i'm going to do from there. I know it definitely won't pass smog right now, but once I get it tested and see what the results are, I can figure out whether or not to move onto another engine or maybe try refreshing this one.

Ken

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what design your shooting for with your sliders. You should have enough frame hanging below the body to come straight off the frame with legs to the rocker panel and then if you want to angle the sliders up you can do it at that point.

This is an image of trail gear sliders but most home made and store bought are usually done the same. On one set I installed (I believe it was my 00 Tacoma) I actually used a die grinder and ground the pinch weld on the body to allow the sliders to tuck up as high as possible. You could always do that if you need a little extra. I usually only left about a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the legs and the body.

http://www.trail-gear.com/images/120001-1-KIT.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! I appreciate that, man. Both of you guys. Look forward to getting this thing trail worthy. More than happy to fill the fridge and fire up the BBQ one of these days. The shop has it all these days. Even if you guys wanna come down and work on your own rigs. I don't have the lift installed yet, but should be in before summer.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
We have a full fab shop with new hydro/elec bender with all the common dies.
We also have the bendtech software if you want to design your tube first, sometimes this saves from wasting tube.

If you want to come over we can bend your stuff up and it will be very reasonable cost :)

Just hit me up when you want to bounce some ideas off me.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Not hiring right now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Glory
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing