TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after playing around with my truck a little bit today i definitely realized i need lift on my truck... this guy has a 4" lift pretty cheap. I asked him what else i need that he doesnt have and im waiting for a response. What do you guys think? I will have to wait to find out what brand it is too.

·
20,355 Posts
just remember that lockers and gears will get you farther than lift. In general the best wheeling setups fit the largest possible tire size with the smallest possible amount of lift.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i don't think i would. you can fit 33x10.50 w/ no lift. i have yet to lift my front and i'm running 33x12.50, granted i have a 2"BL and 63 chevy's in the rear. A lot of people say to stay away from DB lifts, althought i've never had one, i still say don't mess with them and just run as big of tires as you can with minimal lift. spead your money instead on armor,gearing,lockers,tires. let your lift come behind those.

·
OnlyHereForTheTires
4,185 Posts
i run 33x10.50 with no lift and they clear just fine.

imo - the torsion bar/ifs set up in the first gens just doesnt get along well with too much lift. yeah a tall truck might look cool, but its not necessarily going to help you get down the trail. true "clearance" i.e. under your diffs will only really come from your tires, and unless you plan on going BIG with tires, its not worth putting 4" on your truck.... it'll actually probably look silly being that tall.

i'd start with sliders & bumpers, then tires & gears, and of course you could always opt to do lockers when you re-gear.

im working on the front bumper and general maintenance right now, which is probably going to require me to put a ball joint spacer in the front because of the extra weight + winch..... but other than that, re-gearing to 5.29s and putting an e-locker in the rear is on the short list of "next to-do's" ... just gotta get the $ to get it all done!!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
i've been running wheel spacers for 4 years or so now, just check them and make sure they are put on ultra tight and never worry again.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
havent put mine on yet. i figured on torquing them around 150 ft/lbs? what did you use to keep the rotors from moving so you could tighten up the spacers.

P.S. Going for a regear.. what else would i need besides the ring and pinion? i havent looked much into it yet but for near future reference? im thinkin im gonna go with 5.29s. just because everyone thats using 4.88s wishes they had gotten the 5.29s..

·
Registered
992 Posts
keep putting it off and and you'll never have them haha

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
havent put mine on yet. I figured on torquing them around 150 ft/lbs? What did you use to keep the rotors from moving so you could tighten up the spacers.

P.s. Going for a regear.. what else would i need besides the ring and pinion? i havent looked much into it yet but for near future reference? Im thinkin im gonna go with 5.29s. Just because everyone thats using 4.88s wishes they had gotten the 5.29s..
lockars!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
just put a lockright in the rear and it won't be that much or save your money and do it all at once. it turns out to be cheaper. for the amount of gearing the front and rear, just save an additional $250ish and get a lockright and be done with it. for the wheel spacers, just have somebody stand on the brakes when you tighten them.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
or get stompers thirds if he still has them if i recall there 5.29 both locked for cheap.
Thanks for the Bump. He will have sliders and a rear third this next weekend.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
havent put mine on yet. i figured on torquing them around 150 ft/lbs? what did you use to keep the rotors from moving so you could tighten up the spacers.

P.S. Going for a regear.. what else would i need besides the ring and pinion? i havent looked much into it yet but for near future reference? im thinkin im gonna go with 5.29s. just because everyone thats using 4.88s wishes they had gotten the 5.29s..
torque spec for the lug nuts is 76ftlbs i believe...that is what the spacers should be tightened to. A little more won't hurt but i would not exceed 100ftlbs. I have been running spacers for a while with no issues.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts